Shooting a Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo

Hunter
I recently metioned, well maybe crowed a bit about getting a 256 Hawkeye. The gun is in pretty good shape, I think it would rate maybe 95% but had beed fired. So I figgured I should have the pleasure also.
Finding ammo posed more of a challenge than I would have thought, scarce & expensive. The prices wouldn't have bankrupt me, but simply turned me off. I said, to heck with it, I'll just get some dies & make my own. Same story on the dies, scarce/expensive.
While thinking about just how bad do I really need to shoot this thing, Rugerforum member & great guy in my book "picturerock" comes to the recsue & sends me a fistfull of ammo.

Now for the shooting, & a few surprises.

I put the first shot into the berm & got way more muzzle rise than I expected for a heavy/long gun & a 60 grn. bullet. Mental note, grip it like you're shooting a .357 BH, not a Single six.

The muzzle blast was BIG surprise, dark orange, approx. a foot in dia. & a foot & a half long. About the most I've experienced from the several handguns I shoot. It was a grey overcast day, but nowhere near dusk, very impressive.

The noise. With the small bore, I expected a loud report & was glad I had my best headphones on. But, not a high pitched crack I thought I would hear. More like a heavy loaded 45 Colt. Interesting, to me.

With the feel of it down, I put 3 shots on paper at 25yds. Disappointing. 1 7/8" But studying the group I realized that the big measurement was all horizontal & the vertical was only about a 1/2", I was the weak link. I then shot my most accurate BH to see if I was "on". I was not, doubling my usual group sizes with this gun. Time to save the rest of the hens teeth ammo for a better day & not raining so I can also send some bullets over the chronograph.

I realize that many of you here have probably shot a .256 & a few have shot a Hawkeye. So, I hope I havn't bored you to tears. But, this was a unique oportunity for me & thought I'd share. I took some pics, but the new/improved? photobucket and I need some work. Maybe later. Also will post some muzzle velocities later if anyone is interested.

gunzo

gunzo

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
HAVE LOADED MY OWN..THAT SAID, I SOFTLY SUGGEST THE AMMO YOU HAVE, IS "PRETTY HOT".......... 8) HOW DID THEY EACH EXTRACT? :?:

That said, I hope I didn't over emphasize my experience. The cartrige is not a 357 or 22 mag, just something that was totally different to me, I just didn't foresee the results. And, maybe, just maybe a bit elated about shooting such a rare(to me) gun.
The ammo was Winchester Western factory 60 grn. HP. The first shot extrected easily & the primer & base diameter looked good, buy the 4th shot the case extraction was getting a bit sticky. So I was seeing a bit of pressure or the chamber clenliness could use some attention.

Maybe I was really "in tune" with such an experience(to me) & noticing more than I usually do. Future chrono results & studying several of my older reloading manuals should give me a better base line.

I started shooting and reloading for a 45 BH in 1974 & there have been tens of thousands of rounds of various calibers since then, but this caliber & gun was different. Proving to me that I still have a lot to experience & learn.

It was fun! a lot of fun!
gunzo

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Sir: I own a Hawkeye and its companion, Marlin LeverMatic in .256. I load and shoot both with some regularity. I have found that my own hand loads are the most accurate after sending a few factory loads down range. Feel free to contact me and I can share some of my results/opinions. It is really a fun cartridge and an awesome round for both paper and varmint shooting. Brass Frame/Lee

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I reload and shoot my Haweye...I do not get the loud noise or ball of flame. Yours are too hot IMO concurring with previous author.

gunzo

Hunter
Hey guys,
I 've been waiting to post till I had some chrono results, but the chrono wouldn't cooperate today & I shot up the rest of my scarce ammo & got no readings.
I'd like to thank all here for their warnings, suggestions, & offers to help. I really appreciate it. Yes, the Win super x factory loads I have seem to be on the hot side. The ones I shot today still had some very noticable muzzle flash & extraction was a bit sticky.
If I decide to keep the gun, reloading is the only way to go for me & I have several older loading manuals that offer .256 data. So I'm good to go.

Thanks again, Doug

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks for the report gunzo. A bud and I are going to get out and shoot our Hawkeyes when he get back from his cattle drive. He has ammo but don't know any of the specifics but sure looking forward to shooting it.

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Gunzo, When you get around to reloading for your Hawkeye, I have some factory ammo I will sell and some unprimed factory brass that has never been loaded. Let me know your needs if you keep the Hawkeye and decide to shoot it.
Brass Frame/Lee

gunzo

Hunter
BRASS FRAME said:
Gunzo, When you get around to reloading for your Hawkeye, I have some factory ammo I will sell and some unprimed factory brass that has never been loaded. Let me know your needs if you keep the Hawkeye and decide to shoot it.
Brass Frame/Lee

Thank's for the offer Lee. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to keep it.