Found A Clean Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wproct

Single-Sixer
Oh my gosh, I would have jumped on that so fast. One of my first revolvers was one just like that only in 5 1/2 inch bbl. I deeply regret letting that one get away from me. I like the 4 5/8 inch barrel even better. Nice buy!

Boxhead

Blackhawk
The box does have the last 5 numbers of the SN in pencil. It will not see a magnum cylinder as that base is covered with a "magnum only" version.

H8LmRTr.jpg

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
I'm assuming it came home with you!!!!!!! Great price on a really good .22 LR. It was made before the change to a larger bore diameter, and will be very accurate.

And when was the switch to a larger bore for the Single-Six?

contender

Ruger Guru
"And when was the switch to a larger bore for the Single-Six?"

Ruger started using the same barrel stock for both the Single-Six & the Magnums at serial number 150000. Any guns with a number higher than that,, has the larger bore.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I'm pretty sure the full serial number is on the box, the top half of the 1 is still showing. The 4 5/8" barrel is extremely rare that early in production which is the "Type 2 round loading gate"; 5000 made. These are the 1st 4 5/8" steel frame Single Sixes made! The boxes for your serial number range do not have the RSS4 model number yet, so your box is correct. Your gun was made in 1959 and should have the serial number scratched or stamped on the grip frame under the grip panel.

Congratulations on a very excellent find in such good condition and a bargain price!!!!

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Mine is 1350xx …. Wish I had that box! Mine also dates to 1959, my birth year.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
This is a later gun, late enough to be a convertible, but shows the rare RSS4 box:

RSS4X-187863-Full.jpg

That was an early enough convertible that they had not yet printed up the second cylinder boxes, so they just used a corrugated wrap closed with cellophane tape (which dried out and gave up decades ago):

RSS4X-187863-Cylinder-Box.jpg

Latest posts