Shipping handgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrl9164

Bearcat
I have been out of this for some time; what is acceptable to use for shipping? I know to a FFL and all, just asking about carrier. Thanks.

hittman

Staff member
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=233778

pete44ru

Hunter
hittman said:

"A non-FFL CANNOT use USPS to ship a handgun."

But a FFL can use USPS.

When I need to send a handgun interstate, I obtain a (free) USPS Flat Rate Box ($8-$17 postage, depending on box size), take it & packing material to my sending FFL (so he can record the SN for his book & get a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL), then wrap it up for him to take to his P.O. @ his next daily visit.

Some sending FFL's will charge you a transfer fee, mine does not.

I don't use UPS/FEDEX because they charge an extra shipping fee for handguns, citing they need to ship them "Next Day" due to employee pilferage....................

Stoots

Buckeye
pete44ru said:
hittman said:

"A non-FFL CANNOT use USPS to ship a handgun."

But a FFL can use USPS.

When I need to send a handgun interstate, I obtain a (free) USPS Flat Rate Box ($8-$17 postage, depending on box size), take it & packing material to my sending FFL (so he can record the SN for his book & get a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL), then wrap it up for him to take to his P.O. @ his next daily visit.

Some sending FFL's will charge you a transfer fee, mine does not.

I don't use UPS/FEDEX because they charge an extra shipping fee for handguns, citing they need to ship them "Next Day" due to employee pilferage....................

Yep, all this. ^^^^

I use an FFL. Even if he charges a small fee, it's better than the overnight requirement from UPS, DHL, FedEx. Plus it supports local gun shops and FFL guys. :)

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Telling me that I must send something overnight because their employees are thieves makes me not want to send anything through them.

I've had the same problem with a supplier... would ship me product via freight... about every 4th time the product would be damaged... my suppliers solution was to put it on a bigger palette and charge me twice as much because the trucking company could not fix their problem of damaging the freight they were carrying... my solution was to change suppliers and freight carriers.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
95% of the FFL's that use postal don't even fill out the ps1508 either so its still illegal, right?

https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Just called a couple lgs ffl on shipping a revolver for custom work. I know that where it's going cost the ffl sixteen bucks to ship back to me. Me having to ship to him overnight ,ups or FedEx is ninety bucks. The local lgs quoted me a price of eighty bucks. I always hear about supporting your lgs but these guys know the deal and exploit, transfers too.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
When I sell a handgun, I use my home-office dealer who charges me $15 for the transfer ($25 for non-regulars) and actual postage. I can collect $40 and cover the fee and maiing vs. $70-100 for me to FedEx it. Good for the buyer, too.

I also discovered that using USPS Registered is cheaper than Priority Mail + Insurance for anything over a couple hundred bucks. Registered is priced by the value of the object mailed and includes insurance, though it does have slightly higher requirements for packaging (paper tape and plain boxes vs. USPS boxes and plastic tape). Can be slower, too. But MUCH cheaper (I've sole a couple of high $ Colt, S&W and USFA guns in the last year).

Rob

Latest posts