Serial number question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dosh

Bearcat
New to site so bear with me. I own six tang model 77 rifles which are used for hunting occasionally. The one I have that is different from the rest has a serial number of 71-59437. It doesn't have the Ruger rings, they are old looking Redfield bases and rings. It also has a front and rear iron sight which hinder the use of a larger scope. I bought it locally about 11 months ago. It is a 7mm Rem mag. It shoots quite accurately, but I already have a 7mm that was inherited which shoots excellent so I don't use this Ruger. I was told by a friend it is a ST model and the sights are factory. How old is this rifle? Was wanting to bed the action and free float the barrel, but wanted to check since the number is a lot lower than the others.
Thanks

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
KNOWN BY SOME AS A "ROUND TOP". SAID TO HAVE BEEN BUILT AS A COMPETITOR TO THE REMINGTON MODEL 700. USES THE SAME BASES AND RINGS AS THE 700..........I OWN THIS RIFLE IN A 257 ROBERTS AND THINK IT A BIT DIFFERENT IN IT'S CONFIGURATION THAN THE RUGER RINGED SIGHTED RIFLES OF THE TIME PERIOD........ 8)

Dosh

Bearcat
Thank you sir for your reply. I'm assuming the iron front and rear sights are original to the rifle and the serial number is of that model?
Thanks, Dosh

chet15

Hawkeye
The M77ST actually starts showing up in the 70-4xxxx range. Believe it or not there are a few calibers known with a flatbolt.
Chet15

Dosh

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. From what I've read, this SN is too high to be a flatbolt. Now the question is do I leave it as it is from the factory or bed the action remove the rear site and free float the barrel? I have a spare factory stock for my 77 in 25-06, but it is a heavy barrel which isn't going to work. I'm a shooter and hunter, not a collector.

chet15

Hawkeye
Dosh said:
Thanks for the replies. From what I've read, this SN is too high to be a flatbolt.

Correct...the long action flatbolt is only seen generally in the earliest of long actions.
Chet15

Dosh

Bearcat
Chet15, thanks for the info. Since this model is not a rare item I'll pull off the rear site to make room for a nice scope and freefloat/bed the action when I return from my trip in mid August. By then some of the successful deer and elk tags holders will be looking for a rifle, so I can unload it.

Dosh

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies, what differences am I looking for in a flat bolt? This bolt looks similar to my other Tang Model 77's. I'm still uncertain whether this rifle is worthy of being a collector. Perhaps I should free float, bed it and scope it for a hunter. Not seeing any collector value.

Dosh

Bearcat
How many pics and of what particular parts? I'm in Ca. At present, but will be home and take pics tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks

chet15

Hawkeye
mr.deerstalker said:
I have one in 71-xxxx 7mm mag in ST with flat bolt....scott

A long action flatbolt with 71- prefix would be hard to prove it left the factory as a flatbolt originally. It is certainly possible, but would be like a Red Eagle auto in the 4xxxx range...probably can't ever be proven.
Chet15