Serial #100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
Can someone point me in the direction for the person that purchased the serial #100 collection a few years back. I came across one today that is for sale and would like to help get it matched up with the others.

Thanks,
Troy

I personally bought two of his subscription guns from him. Not all his guns were sold en masse. Not all his subscription guns fit his theme, so some were liquidated by him before he became ill.

Although there may be holders of large groups of his guns, I also believe many are cast to the wind.

Last edited:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
As WAYNO mentioned, Carl sold some while he was alive. He felt compelled to buy them all to stay in the good graces of the subscription program, but couldn't afford to keep them all and mostly just kept the SA revolvers and the Mini-14. He sold me the Charger pistol and offered me the GP100 but I passed on it since I already had a two digit GP. At some point, Ron Honnor (now also deceased) put together the equivalent of a "Go Fund Me" to collect donations from forum folks to buy the rest of the #100 guns that Ruger still retained and gift them to Carl who was then the board owner. It was quite an undertaking and Carl was extremely grateful, but after he was downsized in favor of automated snowmaking systems at Jackson Hole, he had to sell some of those guns to make ends meet. He felt horrible about selling the gifted guns but didn't have much choice. After he passed, his widow consigned the remaining guns to a local dealer to dispose of. I had some #101 guns at that time and bought a few of the #100's to pair up with those, like the S4440 and Vaquero. But I believe most were scattered.

hittman

Staff member
I would have loved to had a chance at one or more of the double actions. But now that pandemic prices have set in ….. likely out of my reach.

contender

Ruger Guru
I, along with many here was very happy to donate money to help buy the batch of serial number 100 guns for Carl. He truly was deserving of them.
I was disheartened to learn of how his wife disposed of them, and sadly, well after the fact. I would have gladly purchased one or two of them myself.
But,, my memories of Carl, and such,, can't be bought or sold.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My wife did a (very) deep clean of the fridge today and found this waaaay in back, Carl gave me a sixpack of a local beer years ago. It says best by the end of January but doesn't say what year. I suspect 2006 since my son and I were out there in summer of 2005. He may also have brought it to me in Denver when I was out visiting my mom in the hospital in 2008. My then-girlfriend-now-wife were out in Carl's area again in 2013 but I don't believe it was from then because I distinctly remember the four of us (Carl, his wife, me, and GF) went to dinner at our hotel restaurant and then went back to our room where the women drank Cosmos and Carl and I drank bourbon. No beer that time. Carl had already started going downhill by then. That was the last time I saw him.

1682789013677.png

1682789075149.png

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I got into collecting Rugers too late to have ever had the opportunity to have met him. We interreacted more than a few times through the Forum due to my endless questions, and yes I know those questions have not ended yet. It is fun to sit at the different "gatherings" now and hear the stories. Someday I will be the one telling the stories of our gatherings. Looking forward to my first trip to OGCA this year in July and adding to them.

Latest posts