Security Six 6" question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Russell

Bearcat
Did these come in both a "heavy" contour barrel and a "light" contour version?

I came across a 6" blued example yesterday priced at $320. The gun was in excellent condition with what would appear to be the original wood target grips. It was a 154 prefix gun.

I think the price is excellent & as much as I wanted to like the gun...it just didn't point well for me. The barrel was thin looking to me. I think that the barrel of my 4" barreled stainless Six is much heavier - it surely points better than the 6" that I handled yesterday.

I'm still considering buying the gun, just because I love the "Six" series Rugers & like I said I think it's priced right. Thoughts?

k22fan

Blackhawk
So far as I know there was only one contour or weight of Security Six 6" barrel. That's fine with me. 6" Sec. Sixes weigh about the same as traditional service handguns like the GI 1911.

As a target and sport shooter I don't point handguns, I aim them, so the whole concept of one shape or balance pointing better than another is meaningless to me. It used to be regularly written that the noodle barrel Luger and very differently shaped and balanced Peace Maker were the best pointing handguns but just as many times I've read that one or another 4" heavy barrel revolver points best. I think it's just what ever grip shape, weight and balance you've gotten used to. Along with reducing the blast noise and flash of magnums the 6" barrel's longer sight radius helps me shoot more accurately. The slight change in weight distribution makes no difference to me.

You're correct that $320 is a great price on today's market but if you don't like the gun save your money for an average priced gun you do like.

That's a great price for the 6". Yes the 6" only had one barrel contour unlike the 4". However, since you said the serial number was a 154 prefix, you can easily find (on eBay and Gunbroker) different types of grips for it that may give you the "feel" that you are looking for.

Terry T

Buckeye
There were at least two if not three barrel contours. Original (light), heavy, and a late heavy with a heavier ejector rod housing. One almost has to have the first two side by side to see the difference. If the box is present, it is marked on the box. Model number would be GA-36H for a stainless (RDA-36H for blued) in .357.
They are bit harder to find or to recognize them without documentation. I think the heavier barrel became the de facto standard toward the end of production.
Terry T

k22fan

Blackhawk
Terry,
I appreciate the great information and correction of my earlier post. Do you know the timing of the change to colored sights and if that change correlated with a change in barrel weight?

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Which barrel contour would this be? Original, Heavy, or Late Heavy? I have always been under the impression that there was only one barrel contour.

SecuritySix6inchdarkgrips_zps11092b89.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I had hoped knowing the s/n may help me identify the barrel and/or barrel dates in RENE. No such luck.

Terry T

Buckeye
w51x,
I'm going to guess "heavy". Defiantly not the late extra heavy with the heavier ejector rod housing. Does not appear to be the more tapered original (or "light") barrel. But hard to tell without measuring or having two side by side. I'll have to get a couple out with my calipers and figure this out.
The forum could use the exact measurements. :shock:
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
If those grips are original to the revolver, then you have a GA-36HT, the "H" meaning heavy barrel.
Chet15

w5lx

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
If those grips are original to the revolver, then you have a GA-36HT, the "H" meaning heavy barrel.
Chet15

Thanks Chet. I dug out the box and it's a GA-36T. I added the target grips. It came with the small ones that I still have.

Here's another photo of the same gun with some different grips. The barrel looks a bit thinner in this photo.

IMG_1015_zpsd422ea57.jpg

Terry,
You piqued my interest. Here are some measurements I got. This were all guns that did not have a box and not all have been lettered yet or lettered as standard guns with the one exception. The formatting from Word 2010 translated good in the reply section but not so good in the finished product but I think you can figure it out.

Size Finish S/N Front Rear
(1/8" from end) (where barrel touches the frame)

2 ¾" Blue 150-8xxxx 0.665 0.716
2 ¾" Blue 159-7xxxx 0.722 0.766

4" Blue 150-8xxxx 0.616 0.703
4" Blue 159-9xxxx 0.722 0.766 This lettered as a RDA-34HP

4" SS 151-0xxxx 0.662 0.717
4" SS 160-09xxx 0.693 0.784

6" Blue 150-5xxxx 0.645 0.714
6" SS 155-7xxxx 0.665 0.730
6" Blue 161-6xxxx 0.680 0.758

4" Blue 150-00141 0.604 0.703 NOTE the serial number and
compare to the 4" 150-8xxxx above.

Terry T

Buckeye
OK! now we know - it's NOT a heavy barrel. GA-36T is a stainless, 6" .357 mag. with Target grips. A GA-36HT would have the Heavy barrel (and Target grips).
Terry T

Russell

Bearcat
Thanks all, for the detailed info and for the pictures. I'd not really stopped thinking about the 6" blued Security Six that I passed on a week and a half ago. I returned to the shop this afternoon for another look & couldn't put the gun down. I ended up paying $344.50 out the door.

The gun is really in immaculate condition, with only a faint cylinder turn and hardly any evidence of firing. There is no flame-cutting under the top strap and very little carbon in the cylinders. It's an exceptionally clean pistol & I think it was a steal for the price.

006-1.jpg
[/url][/img]

007.jpg
[/url][/img]

w5lx

Single-Sixer
$344 would be a whopping bargain around here. I rarely see them for less than $450. Congrats on your find.