Scout Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
About the only thing you need to know before purchase is - Right or left hand model.

I find the iron very useful and like them. Setting it up the optics is the tough decision your gonna have to decide. Red dot, holographic, reflex, scout scope, or standard eye-relief scope???

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I currently have a Burris, 3~9x40 Signature Series Scope set in the normal location using the Ruger rings on mine.

I did try a Burris Scout scope mounted in the forward location but I wanted to use the rifle in a traditional role.

Lateck,

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Kenneth L. Walters said:
deadduck357 said:
Setting it up the optics is the tough decision your gonna have to decide. Red dot, holographic, reflex, scout scope, or standard eye-relief scope???

Which standard eye-relief scope would you recommend?

There are only a few scout scopes on the market but standard eye-relief scopes are endless. Start looking at brands compared to what your willing to spend. Just keep the objective small(40mm or less) so you can mount it low.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Lurk over to Scoutrifles.org. They are having a huge affair with the RGSR now. I did not buy the RGSR after carful consideration. I like to co-witness my iron and low powered scope. I like Leopold IER 1.5 power.

Beachbum

Bearcat
The sight should be appropriate for the intended use. If you are going to use the gun for home defense, go with a scout scope or red dot. For hunting or long range target shooting, a standard scope will suffice. Thats the beauty of the rifle. It's the one to have if you only have one.

I bought a frontier rifle when they came out. I have the Leupold 2.5x IER scope on it and love it. Now that the Gunsite Rifle is out, I am envious of the iron sights and especially the box magazine. Oh well.