Scope for .308 M77 RSI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am soliciting opinions for what scope might look the nicest on a .308 M77 RSI that I've had since the 90s. Function is the most important, but aesthetics matter a bit since I have a number of other rifles that overlap the capabilities of this one. I live in Texas, but seldom hunt unless someone invites me. I avoid shots over 200 yards. I want to keep the cost below $500.

I would never buy a scope on looks on a rifle. It's for the function that I want it to preform, durability, warranty. I would think something in the vortex line would fit. Cost, most scopes nowadays that I use and depend on are much more than the price limit you set. So I can't give you a model number or brand.

I totally agree with kmoore. I do understand that having a nice looking setup may be as important as utility (for some folks) but really shouldn't be the primary choice factor.
I'm a VORTEX fan so my choice would lean toward that brand. VORTEX has several price levels and me being a 'value over actual price' kind of guy, I still go with the mid-grade mostly Crossfire because that's 'good enough' for my needs.
I had to look up M77 RSI to see what it really is. Considering the model and features, I'd recommend a smaller profile/lower magnification scope possibly in the 1-4 or 1.5-5x w/o the front bell. This type of scope will (IMHO) give the right 'look' for this type of rifle and allow precise aiming @ the moderate ranges for which such a rifle would be used.

Leupold 2x7. I think that's enough scope for your intended purposes plus it's small enough to complement the rifle's aesthetics.

I've started to home in on this magnification as the right spot, though I still haven't ruled out the 1.4x4 scopes such as @cellar701 suggests.

Right now my short-list is:
  • Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33
  • Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm
  • SIG Sauer Whiskey3 2-7x32mm
  • Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20
Though I'm going to look at a few more in the 1 or 1.5 to 4 range.

https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/my-m77-rsi-260.306195/

I like the compact scopes on the RSI for both function and aesthetics. My typical hunting distance is 100-150 yds and it has worked well for me.

I've tried to link to a thread showing some photos of one of my rifles, but doing this on my phone this morning so apologies if it doesn't work…

That's a nice looking rifle!

I have a similar scope on my 9.3-62 CZ-550 and it makes a nice-looking and very useful rig.

Paul B

Hunter
I have three Ruger M77 RSI rifles and all are chambered to the .308 Win.

Rifle #1 has a 2x7 Leupold. Numbers two and three have 1.5x5 Simmons which frankly I do not like. Truth be told, I'd like to find one of the old 3X Weavers with post and crosshair but as I'll probably never hunt again, at this point in time, what difference does it make. BTW, that RSI with the 2x7 Loopy if my favorite deer rifle.
Paul B.

If you can find one of the discontinued Leupold VXIII short 1.75X6 scopes I can highly recommend it for both capability and aesthetics. I'm always experimenting with different scopes on my rifles but the short Leupold on my 77 MKII RLS is staying put. You may be able to find a used one within your price range. If not I've found that the current Burris Fullfield II line up in 2-7 and 3-9 are optically so close to the Leupold glass that I can't see any difference.

Attachments

• WP_20151109_10_10_28_Pro__highres.jpg
    WP_20151109_10_10_28_Pro__highres.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 59

DerekR

Bearcat
I have had a .308 RSI for many years. I put a 1.5X5 with a 20mm objective on it. It is ideal. That rifle screams for a smaller, lower power scope. There are the exact overall length of a Marlin 336.

I also like the low powered Leupold scopes.
This is my deer rifle, Ruger No. 1 RSI 35 Rem. Leupold VX-R 1.25x4x
View attachment 32371

My Ruger No.2 RSI 7x57 Leupold VX-2 1-4x, youth stock for grand kids
View attachment 32372
What a beauty. When I bought my No. 1B, I looked at the No. 1 RSI and thought it felt so small. I have kicked myself for years for not grabbing that RSI. And I had never seen a No.2 RSI before. Very cool.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
TXTad....I guess this is a Jr version of your RSI. It's a 77/22M from a limited run several years ago. I agree with you on the asthetics part, especially if you have other rifles to fill your needs. Personal opinion is a huge variable scope just doesn't look "correct" on compact rifles. Not up to speed on the latest from Leupold, but they may have a model that would fill your need. This is a Leupold 1x-4x 1" scope in Warne QD rings.

Attachments

• 20191104_092932.jpg
    20191104_092932.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 46

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Leupold 1.5-5x VX3i if you like the 20mm objective look (I do), or Leupold 1.75-6x also in a VX3 if you prefer a belled objective (same scope Mike is recommending in the thread above this one). I had the latter on my RSI .308 and it was perfect. Mine had the heavy duplex crosshairs. View attachment 32318
LOVE your rifle. If I could find one in 7x57, I'd be a happy camper!