SC "Big Gun Bust"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Unclaimed guns will be destroyed, he said. “We hope we can get as much of this stuff as possible back to its proper owners,” Scott said. “We’re just glad that we were able to take that many guns off the street that could cause anyone any harm.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article41865006.html#storylink=cpy

Anybody on the Forum there in South Carolina thought about Filing Suit to force them to AUCTION off the "unclaimed" guns? Destroying them sounds like what a moronic left winger anti-gun jackass would do.

I've thrown the question out to the SC firearm forum... I also threw out the question in the comments section of the paper that the article came from of whether the Sheriff was going to also destroy all of the other items that aren't claimed.

contender

Ruger Guru
If anybody can get to the Sheriff there,,, he needs an education in money management.
Explain POLITELY that it will COST taxpayers to destroy any firearms,,, OR,,,,,,,,, he can auction them, through an auction house, and not SPEND a dime,,, AND when it's over, he will be putting money back into his department to be used to fight crime,,, & not have to use as much taxpayer money.
Use these figures to drive home a point.
Example;
If 500 firearms are not claimed, it will cost them at least $5000.00 to have them destroyed. (Figure $10 per.)
If the same firearms are sold at auction for an average of $200 each, that's $100,000.00.
Ask the polite question; Couldn't your department use an additional $100,000 to fight crime or equip your officers?

Yeah don't police departments normally auction off unclaimed or seized property? I saw a police SUV recently and in big bold text across the back it was stating this vehicle was seized from a drug raid and is now used to fight crime, saving the taxpayers money.

I posed the question in the comments section of the nearest big newspaper to the place (Charlotte, N.C.) as to whether they were going to destroy the other unclaimed property that was seized such as chainsaws and 4 wheelers that were mentioned?

I'm thinking about contacting the sheriff directly but don't know if I have the energy to debate the point with him.
Probably public opinion will do more.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
What is this guy trying to say?

Scott said. “We’re just glad that we were able to take that many guns off the street that could cause anyone any harm.”

The guns returned to owners "could cause anyone any harm"? Are they different guns that are unable to cause anyone any harm"?

Weed whackers can not "could cause anyone any harm"?

Gang bangers use hunting rifles and shot guns?

How did they take the guns off the street? They were on his property, in one place, locked up, and not available to anyone other than him and his family.

As contender said, why not make money from the haul? Don't the Feds take bad guys property and sell it to help finance their departments?

SOUTH CAROLINA'S governor has a head on her shoulder and needs immediate funds for dams, roads, and bridges. Let the state sell them.

SATCOM

RugerHound

Hunter
contender said:
If anybody can get to the Sheriff there,,, he needs an education in money management.
Explain POLITELY that it will COST taxpayers to destroy any firearms,,, OR,,,,,,,,, he can auction them, through an auction house, and not SPEND a dime,,, AND when it's over, he will be putting money back into his department to be used to fight crime,,, & not have to use as much taxpayer money.
Use these figures to drive home a point.
Example;
If 500 firearms are not claimed, it will cost them at least $5000.00 to have them destroyed. (Figure $10 per.)
If the same firearms are sold at auction for an average of $200 each, that's $100,000.00.
Ask the polite question; Couldn't your department use an additional $100,000 to fight crime or equip your officers?

Send 'em to Sheriff Paul Babeu... He turns everything into cash for the Dept! ;)

JFB

Hunter
If you know of an auction service he could use and provide that information, then he can not use the excuse he is too busy to look for his self.

Maybe, if you know of the auction service, have them contact the Sheriff and offer