SASS New Vaquero grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Frankie the Kid

Bearcat
Hi, brand new member here looking for some information about grips.

I have just started CAS. Bought a new pair of SASS New Vaqueros (the ones that come two in a red presentation box). I am trying to find out if these take the RX3 grips or the RX3 Red grips. I had the original SASS grips off once and there is no lock on the interior. I cannot look at the frame further at the moment as the guns are at the smiths for an action job. Near as I can tell, even thugh they are called "New" Vaqueros, the SASS version is actually the older large frame, thus requiring the RX3 Red grips. Everyone I ask says something different. Anyone know the real answer (short of me buying 2 different set of grips to see which fits)?

Thanx, Frank.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
All New Vaqueros use the XR3 size grip frame and grips, period. The stainless grip frames are marked with a K in a circle and blue steel with an A in a box.

Only the original Vaqueros use the larger XR3-RED grip frame.

Frankie the Kid

Bearcat
Thanx Blackhawk and Hunter. Actually, since the smith almost exclusively works on SSA Rugers and Colts, he will likely know the answer anyway. I have had sellers of both "Red" and non-"Red" grips tell me that their grips will work, will not work, may work, etc. The Vaqueros that I have do not have the lock under the grips, which as I understand is typical of the older model Vaquero, but the paperwork says "SASS New Vaquero". Guess I'll just have to wait. Of course, now that I think about it, I have about 20 different SSA Rugers. Guess I could try swapping out grips until I find ones that will fit. The SASS grips are kind of tacky with that SASS seal on them. Anyway, no biggie - thanx!

Frank.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Frankie the Kid said:
The Vaqueros that I have do not have the lock under the grips, which as I understand is typical of the older model Vaquero, but the paperwork says "SASS New Vaquero".
Frank.

Frank,

The locks were introduced WITH the New Vaquero and the Flat top Blackhawks in 2005. This was after large frame original Vaquero production had ceased and none of those had locks.

The very latest New Vaqueros RECENTLY started shipping w/o locks which is what you have. No New Vaqueros have RED size grip frames, with or w/o lock. They all have XR3 size grips. If your paperwork says New Vaquero, you have XR3 size grip frame and grips.

Here's all you need to know to confirm to yourself who to believe about which grips you have for any of your Rugers. Draw a 3" by 3" square and check your grips:
F-gripsquare3.jpg

Frankie the Kid

Bearcat
Well thank you Jim. Finally, an answer that solved the paradox. I've been working on this now for about 2 weeks - now I can shop some nicer grips.
Thanx again!

Frank.