Sasquatch hunters' rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ethang

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
clayflingythingy said:
If you run across a bigfoot, I suggest you use your thumb and forefinger, point it at the woods ape, and say "bang". That should do for an imaginary animal.

Bigfoot does not exist. Bigfoot is folktale.
Yeah right, ...and Santa Claus is a figment of the imagination of at least 10 million kids right here in the US. :( :(

...Jimbo

Next your going to tell us we can tax our way into prosperity .... :wink:

Greyfox

Bearcat
358 with a 200 TSX over TAC all the way, you could run into an elk while you're out there. The cool part is elk are real :lol:

toysoldier

Hunter
It doesn't make any difference what you're carrying. Numerous accounts of hunters encountering Bigfoot www.bfro.net and no one shoots. From a distance, they couldn't rule out it being a man. Up close, panic sets in, and they ran. There's interesting speculation that bigfoot emits a chemical that activates our "fight or flight" response.

There's too many recorded encounters to dismiss this as fantasy. Native American Legends, newspaper accounts from the days of early settlement, and first-person accounts by children, motorists, lifelong hunters, good ol' boys, and PhD's all tell stories that match up well, describing a varied population of adults and juveniles, males and females, in a variety of colors and hair length.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
If you don't believe in the sasquatch, then maybe you haven't seen the women hanging round the sailors in Bremerton, Wa.....or at least that was the case back in my Navy days up there! :shock: On another note, maybe we should figure out which caliber would be best to loan to all the loony ufo and bigfoot believers so they can put themselves out of our misery! With all the trail camera's in use nowadays, it pretty much dismisses all the hype and drama. Some people just cannot live without a certain amount of fantasy to believe in.

TRanger

Blackhawk
BearStopper said:
If you don't believe in the sasquatch, then maybe you haven't seen the women hanging round the sailors in Bremerton, Wa.....or at least that was the case back in my Navy days up there! :shock: On another note, maybe we should figure out which caliber would be best to loan to all the loony ufo and bigfoot believers so they can put themselves out of our misery! With all the trail camera's in use nowadays, it pretty much dismisses all the hype and drama. Some people just cannot live without a certain amount of fantasy to believe in.

Hmm. Well, I meant this exercise to be in fun. I don't know if the Sasaquatch exists or not, but there certainly is considerable smoke being generated by a non-existent fire. I do agree that it seems a trail camera ought to have picked one up or a hunter to have shot one. I am incredulous about the hunters who report having seen one but were unable to bring themselves to fire. The great majority of the hunters I know would recognize a Sasquatch as a million-dollar payday and would not hesitate to shoot it. On the other hand; having lived in the pacific northwest, it is incredible the amount of forested wilderness that exists there and it is not entirely unbelievable that such an animal could live there undetected. Many reports come from well off the beaten path where one would not expect a prankster to be found. For me, the most compelling piece of evidence is the Patterson film. For more than forty years, people have been trying to debunk this film without success. Close examination seems to support the conclusion that it is beyond the capabilities of a 1967 hoaxter to have fabricated; and technological enhancement appears only to strengthen its validity.
Is the critter real? I don't know; but I keep an open mind about it. And if I were hunting it, I'd look around for one of those little Remington .350s. :)

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Love the idea of the .350 Mag.
Or maybe the Ruger Frontier in .358 Win.
Non-believers need only carry a rolled-up newspaper, preferably the National Enquirer.

A

Anonymous

IIRC, there were decades of speculation about the existance of gorillas until one was finally sighted and captured. Many "authorities" thought it was just a fantasy in various African legends. So don't discount Bigfoot being real.

Once when I was in my twenties, a buddy and I were stopped on a mountain fire trail late night and spent nearly an hour watching a "flying light". (We were straight and sober). It wasn't more than a mile away. Long story short, it did things I know no aircraft has ever done, and I've been an A&P aircraft mechanic since then. I believe in UFOs because of that. I think when they believe we're past the point of shooting at them first thing, they'll land at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and say, "We need to meet with someone smarter than this!"

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Bearstopper - I was told only 10% of the women in the Navy were, let's say, not attractive. They just seemed to transfer to wherever I was stationed :p

federali

Bearcat
While there have been enough credible sightings to suggest that some as yet undiscovered primate may be out there, I fail to understand how this creature could inhabit prime big game hunting territory for centuries and never once get caught in a hunter's sights, be it a .30-06 or a .30-30. One would also think that native Americans would have managed to kill one with the pelt now in some museum or private collecton.

On one of those TV shows about big foot, it said that at least one state now protects them and they may not be shot.

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
TRanger said:
For me, the most compelling piece of evidence is the Patterson film. For more than forty years, people have been trying to debunk this film without success.

Debunking testimonies...(at least if you can believe Wikipedia)

Philip Morris:

In 2002, Philip Morris of Morris Costumes (a North Carolina-based company offering costumes, props and stage products) claimed that he made a gorilla costume that was used in the Patterson film. Morris says he discussed his role in the hoax privately in the 1980s but first admitted it publicly on August 16, 2002, on Charlotte, North Carolina, radio station WBT-AM. Morris claims he was reluctant to expose the hoax earlier for fear of harming his business: giving away a performer's secrets, he said, would be widely regarded as disreputable.

Morris said that he sold an ape suit to Patterson via mail-order in 1967, thinking it was going to be used in what Patterson described as a "prank" (ordinarily the gorilla suits he sold were used for a popular side-show routine that depicted an attractive woman changing into a gorilla.) After the initial sale, Morris said that Patterson telephoned him asking how to make the "shoulders more massive" and the "arms longer." Morris says he suggested that whoever wore the suit should wear wide football-type shoulder pads and hold sticks in his hands within the suit. His assertion was also printed in the Charlotte Observer.

As for the creature's walk, Morris said:

The Bigfoot researchers say that no human can walk that way in the film. Oh, yes they can! When you're wearing long clown's feet, you can't place the ball of your foot down first. You have to put your foot down flat. Otherwise, you'll stumble. Another thing, when you put on the gorilla head, you can only turn your head maybe a quarter of the way. And to look behind you, you've got to turn your head and your shoulders and your hips. Plus, the shoulder pads in the suit are in the way of the jaw. That's why the Bigfoot turns and looks the way he does in the film. He has to twist his entire upper body.

Morris' wife and business partner Amy had vouched for her husband and claims to have helped frame the suit. Morris offered no evidence apart from testimony to support his account.

Bob Heironimus:

Bob Heironimus claims to have been the figure depicted in the Patterson film, and his allegations are detailed in Long's book. Heironimus was a tall (6' 2), muscular Yakima, Washington native, age 26, when he says Patterson offered him $1000 to wear an ape suit for a Bigfoot film. Bob Gimlin was on Bob Heironimus's horse, Chico, when the PGF was being filmed. Herionimus is one of numerous people who are claimed to be visible in an unreleased second reel of the film. It is unclear which if any of these claims is authentic.

Eventually Long uncovered testimony that corroborates Heironimus's claims: Russ Bohannon, a longtime friend, says that Heironimus revealed the hoax privately in 1968 or 1969. Heironimus says he did not publicly discuss his role in the hoax because he hoped to be repaid eventually and was afraid of being convicted of fraud had he confessed. After speaking with his lawyer he was told that since he had not been paid for his involvement in the hoax that he could not be held accountable. In separate incidents, Bernard Hammermeister and Heironimus's relatives (mother Opal and nephew John Miller) claim to have seen an ape suit in Heironimus' car. The relatives say they saw the suit two days after the film was shot. No date was given by Long for Hammermeister's observation, but it apparently came well after the relatives' observation, as implied by the word "still" in the justification Heironimus gave Hammermeister for requesting his silence: "There was still supposed to be a payola on this thing, and he didn't have it."

So, what's next? Loch Ness, Chupacabra, Presidential birth certificates? :roll:

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
federali said:
While there have been enough credible sightings to suggest that some as yet undiscovered primate may be out there,

The sightings are NOT credible. There is zero physical existence for bigfoot. The rare Florida panther is photographed, hit and killed by cars, leaves scat, tracks, and kills behind..."bigfoot" does none of that.

Bigfoot sightings are the result of misidentifications, wishful thinking, and outright lies.

DennisE

Single-Sixer
I don't think I'll be needing a gun for our stinky swamp ape...he's pretty shy. But if push came to shove I'd like to have my Marlin 1894 45-70 guide gun in hand. Dennis

Welding Rod

Bearcat
I think a prudent man would leave the area rather than shoot.

No sense in being charged with murder/manslaughter/homicide when the costume comes off and there is a dead prankster inside.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Welding Rod said:
I think a prudent man would leave the area rather than shoot.

No sense in being charged with murder/manslaughter/homicide when the costume comes off and there is a dead prankster inside.
You could always use the old "South Park Defense": "It was coming right for us!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Griz

Bearcat
Yeah right, ...and Santa Claus is a figment of the imagination of at least 10 million kids right here in the US. :( :(

...Jimbo

Oh, please don't shoot Santa Claus!
Now reindeer is another story . . .

For Bigfoot? .45-70 (Overkill for reindeer, but will still work.)

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Not so fast on the dismissal of the Chupacabra. Quite a few photos taken and actual carcasses in the lab. That one is still open.

Snake45

Hawkeye
tacotime said:
Not so fast on the dismissal of the Chupacabra. Quite a few photos taken and actual carcasses in the lab. That one is still open.
Carcasses in the lab? What do the DNA tests say about it? Every photo and every carcass I've ever heard of (so far) has turned out to be a mangy (literally) coyote or feral dog. :shock: