Salt Cod Boxed Red Eagle Story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I first known about this gun back in 2008. On February 6, 2008 I was attending my Uncle and Aunt's funeral. At the same time I was on a lap top bidding on 3 New Model Super Single Sixes. They were a 4 5/8", 5 1/2" and 9 1/2" all "D" guns NIB from a guy called Rugerman007. Hey my Uncle would have appreciated it he was a gun lover. When these guns arrived home I called the seller and we talked of Ruger's... what else. I explained my main interest was the early auto's. He had told me about some of the auto's he owned. One that really got my attention was serial number 2311 that was shipped in a wooden salt cod box. Throughout the years I purchased a few guns from this collector. they included a T514, a Duplicate T678 serial number D200002 and a few others. On 12/5/10 Rugerman007 sent me a list of guns he wanted to sell. As you can see I keep notes on a lot of guns. On the list was serial number 2311 with salt cod box for 500.00 I immediately called the seller and told him I would take that gun. He informed me that it was a typo and he meant it to read 5000.00. WOW!!!! I wasn't really prepared for that but I really needed one of those guns in my collection. In time I would call him just to chat about Ruger's. One day I noticed it on the RCA web site and listed again for 5000.00. But the seller had no bites to sell it. On January 2012 I was contacted by Rugerman007 and was asked if I had any interest in some Ruger tools. I told him I really had several and really didn't need anymore unless it was a good deal. But I was still interested in that 2311 cod boxed gun. We still could not come to an agreement on price and the seller said he may try his luck on Gunbroker. On 3/1/2012 there it was auction number 275999221 with a starting price of 3499.00. Again still more than what I was looking to spend. I watched this gun for a few days and read the chatter about it on the Rugerforum. I figured if someone placed a bid I would have to step up to the plate on this one. With no prevail again this gun did not sell. So I emailed the seller and asked what his bottom line was, and again he gave me a price a bit more than what I wanted to spend but still less than opening bid on the auction. Couple days went by and I called the seller. I told him what I was willing to pay for the gun. He had told me that there was a couple others that also had interest in it but they were offering less than what he wanted. But would really like to see me owning it. We continued to negotiate and finaly came to an agreement on price. The seller had told me in our conversation that he had some health issues and wanted to move the guns he had. I told him I would get a check out by the end of the week for the cod boxed gun and let me know about the others. On 3/30/2012 I received an email from the seller stating that he had received my check and would be mailing the gun the next day. On Saturday 3/31/12 I received another email from the seller. He had said that he lost track of time and UPS was closed on Saturday and he could go to USPS to ship it but it would most likely sit there till Monday anyway's. I emailed back and told him no big rush just mail it on Monday. Monday afternoon I received an email from his daughter telling me that her father had been admitted to the hospital Sunday night and Mr. Dave Youland (Rugerman007) passed away Monday morning 4/2/12. Although I never meet Dave in person we still had a great friendship and had one thing in common... Collecting Ruger's. We all have stories about guns we have been after that sometimes takes years to get into our collections. I just thought I would share this one.
The gun arrived today via UPS.

Saltcodboxedredeagle001.jpg

Saltcodboxedredeagle002.jpg

Saltcodboxedredeagle003.jpg

Saltcodboxedredeagle005.jpg

Saltcodboxedredeagle004.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
After Dave sold his plane and changed his work activities, early 1990 time frame, i sold him my entire Ruger 22 auto collection and all of my Ruger hand tool collection. He was a fine Gentleman. Sorry to hear of his passing. I understood that the late Ruger Collector, Leo Shuck, was one of Dave's Ruger Mentors.

RugerHound

Hunter
What a story!

I can tell you that you almost had a lot of competition for that package! I thought long & hard and was ready to pull the trigger on that GB auction, but a few other deals boiling in the background materialized 1st. Being a 'Mainiac' myself and noticing the seller was from Turner, Maine, I was interested in what else he had stashed away up there as well as maybe sharing a few 'Mainer' stories.

I'm very sorry to hear that Rugerman007 has passed away... I nearly wrote him after the end of the auction when it became clear he wasn't going to relist it. Kinda wish I had now, just 'cause.

Glad the package found a safe home with a serious collector!

radicalrod

Hunter
Rick, I was afraid that might be the story you mentioned in the other post....I had some emails with him over the years.....sorry to hear this.....nice gun....RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
A great story,, with a sad ending. Yet, I know he passed with a smile, knowing a good collector who appreciated his collection was getting the salt cod boxed gun.
I never had the pleasure of knowing him, but I had heard his name mentioned.

For his family & friends, my sincerest prayers!

I am Sad for the Families loss! I talked alot on the phone with Dave in years passed before the internet world, In fact that is were I got the #47 Long Frame Super & Mr Deerstalker got the #47 Deerstalker from him years back. He was a "Fine Gentleman". Prayers with the family..

david knutson

Single-Sixer
Rick, It was very thoughtfull of you to write up that little story,,I have some of that collection my self..My he rest in peace.. D.K.

I knew him him well, many gun deals. met him thru my dad, many years ago, 25 plus (my dad died 7 years ago) I like talking to him about guns, grips, and "the old days". I do recall the "Super / Deerstalker #47" deal with him and Steve. seems like a life time ago. I recall many good laughs with him, BS'ing on the phone for hours. I enjoyed that. I was young, he was old. but, we had the same love, of the same firearm's. I felt as if there was no lost of year's between use. for some reason? I just can explain that.

I am saddened hearing of him being gone. he was good, honest man.

I know alot about that Salt Cod Gun, Ill keep it to my self. Some things are better left unsaid at this time.

Ill end this by saying, Dave was a friend, and Ill Miss him alot, as I do my dad

Scott

h bone

Bearcat
I traded back and forth with Dave over 10 years ago, had some great Ruger guns/items. Also spent many hours on the phone togeather. He will be missed!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Quite a story! A bit of goodness for one's final days. :( With every bit of wondrous good can easily come with unfortunate sorrow. I'm betting this gun will find a special place in your collection.