Safety Concers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DPris

Buckeye
What I see in the news involves dropped guns in restrooms or ADs from mishandling or other accidents.
What I do not see is "Holstered Gun Jostled, Three Shot", or "Holstered Gun Bumped, Owner Taken To Hospital".

Not talking about dropped guns, talking about a jostled or bumped gun during extended carry in a holster.
How else is it recommended to carry one?

What makes "extended carry" more dangerous than limited carry?
Is two hours more dangerous than one? Four more than two?
Were cops who carried DA revolvers in holsters for decades always blowing their kneecaps off via a bumped gun?
Were hunters who did the same, doing the same?
Are concealed carriers nowdays doing themselves damage by bumping their holstered revolvers?

The question asked was about one specific issue- safety regarding a jostle or a bump in a holster.
Don't extend it into other scenarios.

Even without knowing about Ruger's transfer bar, this one could have answered itself with a little more thought.
Denis

I'm with 'shaffe48' new guy comes on and asks a simple enough question,has 2 posts ,welcome to the Forum Smokymount, and sorry for any 'wrong' impression, heck I thought we were back on the "Old" S&W forum, where the inmates ran the farm.........maybe a wrong choice of wording, "jostled" but not being a Ruger 'revolver' person, sounds legit enough to me to cut him some slack and give GOOD advice as to what KIND of holster to use, and let him know there is NO real difference in the lockwork of a "double action" Ruger revolver and those of Colt, S&W or others...just a terminology & usage, difference in 'hammer blocks' versus "transfer bars", BOTH safe to carry ,use, in about any circumstance...its when you pull it out, and USE it ,determines the real safety issues....heck I carry MY .22 in my pocket...only thing that changes is which pocket of whatever I may be wearing that particular day................at 'work' I used a duty holster, and a 'pancake' for plain clothes............... 8)
His question brings to mind of what "may" happen when one falls over a rock, or trips on a log or falls in a stream, slides down the side of a mountain, and on and on, yessir your gun is gonna get "jostled"............... :roll:
I'd rather we did NOT tell new folks to "go home, stay in ,watch TV", gotta be some GOOD suggestions out there, THINK...
heck last ( and ONLY ) two times we had any "run ins"??? with any black bears, was fishing ,up in Canada, BOTH times I talked to the bear, rather LOUDLY, as he (she? ) was more surprised than I was, and before I could even 'think' about crapping my pants, they rambled off.........
'Smokymount' good luck, go ahead and get that Ruger and "practice", get a nice ,sturdy holster,even a good 'flap' type holster,(better to protect the gun) you're NOT going into any "fast draw" competition far as we can tell...... :wink:

6gun

Hunter
shaffe48 said:
Pal Val said:
on the issue of predators in the hills. The worst ones are walking on two legs.

Does anyone have any examples of anyone getting shot, mugged, assaulted, or otherwise attacked in the hills or any other secluded or wooded area?

To be honest, I used to take the woods gun as a serious defense gun. But after considering the fact that I grew up in a rural area and the most I heard was a few home invasions, I now consider my single six the best woods gun. I think most of the criminal stick to the urban areas where they belong.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think counterexamples are about as frequent as black bear attacks.

There has been two different long horn sheep attacks on hikers not far from me in the last few years, seems like one hiker was killed if I remember correctly, there have been murders along the Appalachian trail years ago and other crimes, over all most mountain trails are pretty safe.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Does anyone have any examples of anyone getting shot, mugged, assaulted, or otherwise attacked in the hills or any other secluded or wooded area?"

Actually, there is a local (Smokey Mtn) case where an elderly couple were murdered hiking. They were from Hendersonville NC. The killer was eventually caught, but it was discovered he'd killed one or two others, and tried to kill one girl who fought back & got away. That was in the last few years.
Plus, locally, (Asheville,) I have spoken with folks I know at a popular outfitting store who have told me of other 2 legged predators in & around our area.
So, yes, the biggest critter problem seems to be of the human type.
But, as I stated, the OP did ask a question about safety & the GP-100.
Let's try & stick to discussions about that alone as much as we can. (And, at least this thread didn't get into a caliber discussion!)
Smokey,,, please excuse some of the folks here. Sometimes, they do go off in a different direction.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
Ensure the holster covers the trigger guard; solved.

I would add a word:

Ensure the holster properly covers the trigger guard.

The reason I say this? Because I witnessed a fellow shoot himself in the leg when holstering a loaded .45ACP double action revolver. And no, his finger was NOT in the trigger guard.

This was a "race" match holster. Apparently the trigger was slightly wider than the trigger guard (but was not a trigger shoe.) After using it for some months, one day (at a match), he must have holstered it slightly off from parallel with the holster. At any rate, the trigger caught and in the act of holstering, it went off sending the slug down his leg. (Thankfully, he should fully recover.) Later, the feat was duplicated (with empty revolver, of course) proving it could - and did - happen.

Bottom line: Check - and recheck - to ensure proper fit. And maybe not a bad idea to place thumb on hammer while placing a DA revolver in holster.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
contender said:
"Does anyone have any examples of anyone getting shot, mugged, assaulted, or otherwise attacked in the hills or any other secluded or wooded area?"

Actually, there is a local (Smokey Mtn) case where an elderly couple were murdered hiking. They were from Hendersonville NC. The killer was eventually caught, but it was discovered he'd killed one or two others, and tried to kill one girl who fought back & got away. That was in the last few years.
Plus, locally, (Asheville,) I have spoken with folks I know at a popular outfitting store who have told me of other 2 legged predators in & around our area.
So, yes, the biggest critter problem seems to be of the human type.
But, as I stated, the OP did ask a question about safety & the GP-100.
Let's try & stick to discussions about that alone as much as we can. (And, at least this thread didn't get into a caliber discussion!)
Smokey,,, please excuse some of the folks here. Sometimes, they do go off in a different direction.

Very well, next time I will start an entirely new thread to ask a question.

Which outfitting store was it in Asheville? It wasn't in Weaverville was it? If necessary, I will start a new thread to ask this question. I wouldn't want to be the only person on here to go off topic.

edit: BTW, I completely believe your assertion about this area. I was up the mountain by the Boy Scout Camp near Asheville and I have seen paved roads that were quite a bit less busy than that trail.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
Hurray new guy! Welcome to the forum. If you spend anymore time here you'll get use to sifting through the crap to get the good advice from the knowledgeable, caring members who are here.

Seems like about half of the post here are meant to put somebody down. Which is too bad because there is tons of good info about rugers and firearms to be found in this forum

Pal Val

Buckeye
shaffe48 said:
Pal Val said:
on the issue of predators in the hills. The worst ones are walking on two legs.

Does anyone have any examples of anyone getting shot, mugged, assaulted, or otherwise attacked in the hills or any other secluded or wooded area?

When I was an agent, we had access to the National Park Service daily report. Their office was in the same building as ours (IRS), next door to the cafeteria, and they posted it on their bulletin board. You would have a different opinion if you ever read that little newsletter. If memory serves me well, for every animal attack in the Federal lands, there were four or five violent criminal acts.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Pal Val said:
When I was an agent, we had access to the National Park Service daily report. Their office was in the same building as ours (IRS), next door to the cafeteria, and they posted it on their bulletin board. You would have a different opinion if you ever read that little newsletter. If memory serves me well, for every animal attack in the Federal lands, there were four or five violent criminal acts.

Pretty well expected you to get me on the human attack>animal attack argument. I was setting the bar pretty low and, like I said, was happy to be proven wrong.

I definitely grant that major national parks and popular tourist hiking trails must be a small magnet for crime. Most people at these are yuppy dummies that certainly are unarmed and probably carry cash and valuables. Not all, but whenever I've been at a place like this I'd say they formed a majority. I doubt too many criminals hang out on the game lands and hunting areas...very, very few.

But, in the last three years, there's been 214 murders just in Columbus, a mid-sized U.S. city. Just to put all this into perspective. But I admit I still carry a .357 to the woods instead of a 22 mag if no real varmints are in season.

Pal Val

Buckeye
A .357 with a heavy load are good for the Eastern woods. No grizzlies or brown bears stalking the area. Definitely good enough to deal with other threats. As to the holster, just to summarize, as long as you keep the finger out of the trigger guard while holstering and drawing the gun, you will be safe.

Our friend asked a valid question, and got a variety of answers. In my way of seeing things, differing opinions prove that people here are doing their own thinking, which is good.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
Let's not forget, we just recently had a member who drew and fired, while on the trail, to protect himself from some vicious dogs that were off the leash.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
I've drawn and fired dog spray at some vicious dogs. Good thing I didn't have my 22 mag single six or I really would have pulverized them.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
The 357 Magnum, properly loaded, may be sufficient against black bear. Actual results will be based, again given proper ammo, soley on shot placement.

(A famous Maine blackie guide learned to say, after his 357 Blackhawk almost failed him: ".... .400" minimum, 200g minimum, 1,000fps minimum....")

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A couple of Alaskan guides have told me they would pick a .357 loaded with heavy cast bullets over a .44mag. loaded with jacketed factory 240 gr. loads. due to superior penetration from the .357. Proper heavy loads in the .357 have killed every type of big game in the world. Back in the 30`s when it came out it was the most powerful breechloading handgun in the world.