Three screw value without safety mod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redfernclan

Bearcat
I have an old three screw 44 mag Super Blackhawk that does not have the Ruger safety modification done on it. Through the years, a couple of people have told me it might be worth a little more because there are collectors out there that prefer them the way they came. Any opinions on this? I don't think I would ever sell it anyway. Something about pulling the hammer back and hearing the click and feeling the precision parts moving together is really cool.

contender

Ruger Guru
You are correct. An unmodified Old Model (3-screw) Ruger is worth more to most folks. Many of us totally prefer the original action design, so when we find a converted one,, we ask; "Do you have the original parts?"
If it's a Super Blackhawk,, you can figure $150-$200 for a set of original parts to re-convert it.
If I'm buying an OM Super,, I deduct $200 from the asking price,, knowing I'll have to pay to replace the parts.

sounds like a nice gun, and as to values. need a bit more info, early gun.,, ,no prefix?? lower, numbers, 2 or 3 digits adds a premium, all original condition? Box, , or a cased Super? or a white box Super ?? and so it goes,,,got the shipper if "boxed" ??as well as the paper work manual, warranty card ??etc....... I've sold them here in OHio from $650 up to $1250, and an auction may get more ,,,,but not long ago a friend Bill E., 'appleman' here on the Forum, the family sold his collection, his Supers at auction Rock Island to be exact went for LESS than current or even market values....I'd say you got a keeper and as for the lockwork being "original, so many have been done, undone and redone over the past 48 years of "free factory updates", no one can tell at a glance if it was or not, you gotta take it apart to SEE the "R" stamped by the factory on the INSIDE bottom of the cylinder frame...........:cool::rolleyes:;)

Johnnu2

Hunter
redfernclan, we couldn't have said it better ourselves:
"Something about pulling the hammer back and hearing the click and feeling the precision parts moving together is really cool."

That being said, and agreeing that the value to a Ruger person is higher on an unmolested (i.e. no safety conversion), please be sure to NEVER load 6 in a 6-gun that doesn't have a factory installed safety mechanism. Be sure that when the hammer is lowered, it is ALWAYS resting on an empty chamber. There are MANY documented cases of a 6-gun that is dropped will go BANG if the hammer is sitting over a loaded chamber. It is told that even the old time Westerners carried their guns with an empty chamber (or in some cases with a dollar bill in that empty space). FWIW, I load 5-rounds only even in new revolvers with the latest "safety" parts.

J.

redfernclan

Bearcat
sounds like a nice gun, and as to values. need a bit more info, early gun.,, ,no prefix?? lower, numbers, 2 or 3 digits adds a premium, all original condition? Box, , or a cased Super? or a white box Super ?? and so it goes,,,got the shipper if "boxed" ??as well as the paper work manual, warranty card ??etc....... I've sold them here in OHio from $650 up to $1250, and an auction may get more ,,,,but not long ago a friend Bill E., 'appleman' here on the Forum, the family sold his collection, his Supers at auction Rock Island to be exact went for LESS than current or even market values....I'd say you got a keeper and as for the lockwork being "original, so many have been done, undone and redone over the past 48 years of "free factory updates", no one can tell at a glance if it was or not, you gotta take it apart to SEE the "R" stamped by the factory on the INSIDE bottom of the cylinder frame...........:cool::rolleyes:;)
Bought from a friend who's dad owned it for years. I also have a 44 carbine deer slayer and a 444 marlin I bought new in the early 70s. Kind of on a 44 kick for awhile. Had to get different grips. Factory loads really kick and I was having to redo my hold after every shot.

Attachments

• 20220709_164934_resized.jpg
    20220709_164934_resized.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 171

contender

Ruger Guru
redfernclan, look at pictures of other Ruger Super Blackhawks. You will see the difference between your sight & others.
Someone has modified your gun's front sight.

Ride1949

Hunter
To me, from the picture, it appears that the front sight, while probably a "factory site" , has been ground down lower and maybe the angle changed.
Hard to tell stuff from pictures though.:unsure:
Hope you kept the original grips as the rest of the gun looks very nice.
THIS! Scan through the pictures and you'll see a close up of the front sight. Or, you can do an internet search for Ruger 3 screw Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. There are a lot of pictures out there. I use duckduckgo for a search engine.

Last edited:

redfernclan

Bearcat
I do not believe it has been altered. Looks identical to the picture and the ramp going forward has small horizontal cast lines that would not be there if it had been ground down. Either way, it is a blast to shoot and yes, I still have the original grips.

if done "properly" and the sight lowered, one recuts the cross hatch lines and you are good to go...only way to know, check for certain is shoot the gun and "see" what your impact , point of aim shows you....it looks pretty good in the picture and over the years we've seen MANY guns cut down, file the front sight blade and all too many, do a BAD job........

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
I bought a 357 blackhawk new in 1974 or 75 and while at the range I loaded 6 rounds and put it on first click on hammer . while waiting to shoot I lowered it by my side and lucky I knew enough to point it away from my foot or anything else .it went off while I was standing there and blew a big hole 6" from my foot. I took it back and ruger was on strike and a year later the shop gave me my money back . I have since replaced it with 1 like it and have the old parts with it too. IS THAT HAMMER BOBBED?

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I might be wrong. But the picture of your gun, APPEARS that the front sight has been re-cut to a complete taper. From the rear of the base to the tip.
If you look in our "Gallery" section, go to page (2) or maybe the top of page (3) where BearBio shows off his SA collection. He has some excellent pictures, showing the blade having a square back edge off the base, before the taper.
The picture shown above,, even when opened up & studied,, appears to be a complete taper from the rear of the base, all the way up.

It MAY well be the angle of the gun & how the picture was taken.

hittman

Staff member
…. APPEARS that the front sight has been re-cut to a complete taper. From the rear of the base to the tip.

The picture shown above,, even when opened up & studied,, appears to be a complete taper from the rear of the base, all the way up.
^. ^. This! ^. ^.

redfernclan

Bearcat
OK, took some more pics. Doesn't really matter to me, but I like to know what's been altered on my toys. What say you all? Also have a shot of the hammer for those that thought it was modified. If you all need a specific picture to determine, let me Know and I'll try to get one. Right now the sun is coming up and I need to go jump and the tractor and put in a curtain drain. Thanks again for all the info!
20220712_063238.jpg
20220712_063310.jpg
20220712_063320.jpg
20220712_063345.jpg
20220712_063440_resized.jpg

The angle and background of the original front sight photo made me also think it had been reshaped. Your last photos show it is original. Made me enlarge and add filtering to the first photo so I could see what caused me to be so fooled. :unsure:

Last edited: