Safety Concers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SmokyMount

Bearcat
Hello, I'm looking into purchasing the GP100 in either a 4.2 or 6 inch barrel. I have read up on the specs, and shot similar guns in the past (S&W 686). That being said, I have little experience with revolvers. I will purchase this gun purely for defense. I hike often in the smoky mountains, and have encountered multiple black bears. While our bears are small-ish (up to 400 lbs or so), and generally skiddish, I have encountered enough that I believe I need some firepower in case of an attack. This gun would be carried in a hip holster. My question is this...Is it safe to carry a loaded GP100 in a hip holster for extended periods of time. What is to stop this gun from firing if it gets jostled or bumped? I realize the double action trigger pull is pretty heavy, but all the same, I am concerned. Any thoughts?

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
The revolver has a transfer bar which prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. Due to the heavy DA trigger this would never happen unless you did it intentionally. Many holster I see for DA revolvers don't even cover the trigger but if you are extra concerned you could buy a holster that covers the trigger and straps down the exposed hammer spur.

One of my favorite aspects of the revolver is that you can keep it completely loaded at all times and it is uncocked and about as incapable of unintentionally firing as a firearm can possibly be. The old peacemakers were literally used as hammers to pound in nails loaded and did not (could not) fire, but these had to be carried with an open chamber. I'm not sure what your alternative would be if you were looking for something safer. Perhaps a slingshot.

Buck B.

Bearcat
As shaffe said the transfer bar will keep it safe from firing if bumped and what not. As a safety precaution as related to the trigger accidentally getting caught on a branch or some other thing as you hike in the woods go with a holster that covers the trigger like a Simply Rugged pancake holster. Couldn't get more safe in my opinion.

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
If you are worried about the gun firing if you bump the hammer just do not have a round loaded in that chamber.

A fellow by the name of James Gary Shelton has written at least 3 books about bears and what you need to know to protect yourself and what you need to look for with bears. Besides having a fine revolver with a 180 hard Cast bullet the knowledge about black bears will help you considerably. In general black bears will run when they see or at least smell humans. BEWARE of the ones that seem curious about you or won't leave, but hang around in spite of being aware of your presence. Those bear have lost their fear of man, and worse yet if they are predatory they will attack and try to kill and eat you. Predatory black bears are the main ones to be concerned about. Even mothers with cubs if given room think of their cubs first. Get your self educated and learn to be accurate with that GP100. It will serve you well. A 357 and a good round will handle most black bears but more importantly you can get back on target for follow up shots quicker than harder kicking rounds. Chances are very slim it will ever be an issue, but carrying it should ease your mind should you have the opportunity to pot a spruce hen. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum from another guy who lives in the Smokies area!
My job is Nuisance Wildlife. I'm a state certified Animal Damage Control Agent for NC. As such, I get a lot of calls about bears. In our area, the black bear population is still expanding, and more & more people get to see them. Yet, even with all that, human/bear actual physical encounters are extremely rare.
That said, your major question was about the safety of a GP-100.
That gun is built strong, and is a good choice for a packing gun. You can easily trust it to be safe while carrying if you use a quality holster. As explained above, it has a transfer bar that will prevent any accidental firing.
I'd worry more about the two-legged critters that prey upon folks in the Smokies than the bears. And yes, that GP-100 will be a very good choice for that purpose too!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Aside from the excellent advice posted by those above, a holster similar to this one will make the gun safe as well as protect it from damage. The combination of a very safe design of the gun and a holster that gives good coverage will make an accident all but impossible.

Have fun!!
OH, Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D :D

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I carried a security six and a 101 for years as a leo. and never had one fire in the holster. Safe as safe can be.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Current Ruger, S&W and Colt revolvers are as drop-safe and accidental discharge safe as any firearm type ever made. They all have long DA trigger pulls and one form or another of blocking the hammer so a fall on it cannot fire the pistol. In terms of inherent safety and simplicity, the SA/DA revolver is far more "fool-proof" than any semi-auto.

DPris

Buckeye
Totally baffled about why you'd think any revolver might be un-safe to carry in a holster for extended periods of time.
People have done it for well over 150 years, including all types, and that includes various Rugers such as the GP.

If you're that unsure about revolvers firing if they get jostled in leather, you might want to re-think your idea to carry a gun.
Denis

Pal Val

Buckeye
Not to step on a fellow board member's toes, but to me, any question regarding gun safety (or safety in any way) is a valid question. No need for me do add an answer. There are plenty of good ones in already.

I'm with Contender on the issue of predators in the hills. The worst ones are walking on two legs.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Have a GP100 and the transfer bar in a DA revolver makes it about as safe as a sidearm will be right now. I would educate myself on bears also. If you are still worried just lock yourself in your house and watch nature on TV.

DPris

Buckeye
Val,
Normally I'd agree with safety questions, but here it should not be too hard to reason through the safety issue expressed.

Hundreds of thousands of cops, hunters, and concealed carriers have spent "extended periods" with DA revolvers in hip holsters for many decades.

It is the most common method of carrying a medium to large frame revolver.

If it were so hazardous that jostling or bumping the gun while holstered could easily cause it to fire, neither Ruger nor any of the holstermakers who provide hip holsters could remain in business in today's litigious society.

I remain baffled by the question.
Denis

SmokyMount

Bearcat
Thanks to all those who took the time to consider the post and provide advice. I appreciate it! To those who have such an enormous chip on their shoulder that they felt it necessary to post negative comments, thanks for the laugh. I apologize for wasting your precious time and brainpower. But thank goodness you stepped up and put me in my place, because my question was so ridiculous that someone had to. Someone who takes the time to belittle another person for asking a question regarding safety must really have alot going on in their life. The vast majority of you on here were considerate enough to answer the question, but it only takes one conceited individual to bring the negativity. Any schmuck that speaks to people in such a condescending way needs to grow up. I'm sure if you wandered into my area of expertise your inexperience would be obvious as well. I remain baffled by your lack of people skills. But then again, the internet makes everyone a tough guy.

6gun

Hunter
Don't know about the bear you have back east but out west here I wouldn't carry anything less than a 44mag. to fend off our black bear.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Pal Val said:
on the issue of predators in the hills. The worst ones are walking on two legs.

Does anyone have any examples of anyone getting shot, mugged, assaulted, or otherwise attacked in the hills or any other secluded or wooded area?

To be honest, I used to take the woods gun as a serious defense gun. But after considering the fact that I grew up in a rural area and the most I heard was a few home invasions, I now consider my single six the best woods gun. I think most of the criminal stick to the urban areas where they belong.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think counterexamples are about as frequent as black bear attacks.

DPris

Buckeye
I remain baffled, regardless of your sarcasm, and reiterate my statement that you may wish to reconsider your idea of carrying a gun.

I have no problem with lack of knowledge, I do with lack of reasoning ability.
Denis

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
I've seen in the news where a handgun discharges when being carried. Mostly pistols and mostly due to negligence. But it happens enough that someone not familiar to revolvers posting the question is far from absurd.

In fact, before the use of transfer bars a revolver discharging when dropped was a common occurrence. It famously happened to Wyatt Earp. If someone didn't know about the transfer bars or unloading one chamber then there would be a legitimate concern.

What is absurd is taking the time to answer a question just to bash it for being asked. Especially when it is a new member who came here for something constructive. Of course for some people this forum only serves the purpose of blowing your mouth. Either provide a constructive response or get lost, as far as I'm concerned.