S47-B or Not????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Was traveling out of state today and stopped into an obscure gun shop in the western US. Was looking at their Ruger single actions, Mark pistols and lever guns.

Didn't see anything unusual till went to a case that held double actions. Sitting there was a brass framed old model S47.

At first figured it was a built up gun, as the brass grip frame was not perfectly match polished to the revolver frame. Did some research and it starting to sound interesting....

Made in 1968, had correct wide serated trigger. Need to go back an look again to see if it is converted and take a closer look, check barrel length, etc.

Serial number is 38362.

Usually travel with my Reference of Ruger Firearms, but did not have it with me. Know they did a run of these in 1968 with a serial number range of 33XXX-36XXX, but this is outside of that.

Any knowledge of these puppies would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

contender

Ruger Guru
According to Dougans book & the known serial numbers of the non-prefix S-47B's,, that one wouldn't letter. However,, if the GF is a true Ruger one,, and the price is fair,,, I'd buy it anyway.

I agree with Ty, at times it just may be a "sum of the total of the parts",,,,IF the "price is right"..and of course the usual "condition, condition, condition..." and YES look the brass frame over carefully,lots of them out on "aftermarket' (Ruger frame bought separately and added on at a later date) these are often found to be "lacking" in proper finish (polished) and have many casting craters ( small pits and holes .all over the frame some big ,some little) these "casting" craters are actually flaws in the material ,air bubbles, and if you try and polish out or remove one, another pops up or the hole gets bigger and deeper...many of these "aftermarket"factory frames were 'seconds' ,sold later, some were scrapped out and salvaged, and on and on........NICE frames are well worth the $$$,,,,and if issues,or sad condition, not worth the time or the effort to try and salvage, and then again, some don't really care what it may look like,, they just want a "heavy" brass frame............................so you should find out the "price" (cost) out the door, and total if there may be shipping, transfers, etc involved...it does tend to skyrocket quickly :roll:
good luck

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks all

Going to go look at it again. Apprecaite confirmation that it will not letter, and of course was looking for a gun that would.

Want to remove the grips and check out the grip frame. After feeling the fit of a bunch of my guns (no brass grip frames), the match polish job done on the steel and stainless steel grip frames is always an exact match of the cylinder frame.

This gun is not the case, a definite step on right side, with brass grip frame being larger than cylinder frame (step up to brass), so thinking this was taken from a different gun, or added (aftermarket or Ruger) and fitted to this gun, but not perfectly.

Remember some pits in the brass, but going to look closer.

If I don't buy it, will post details for others interested. Asking price was $799.00.

Some bluing wear at the muzzle, and on the aluminum ejector rod housing.

flatgate

Hawkeye
162714758.jpg

Look close and you'll see the proper markings.

flatgate

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
The frame is Ruger and is marked MR-3BD. It was purchased seperate from the revolver from a gun shop in Phoenix and retrofitted to the revolver. Would rate the revolver 90-95%. Some small pits on the side of the grip frame, and rough spot at the top of the top strap where it joins tghe grip frame on the top of the back "hump".

Gun was owned by local member of law enforcement and is for sale at the shop, they are asking $799.95

High Country Guns and Knives
555 White Spar Rd.
Prescott, AZ

928-445-0081
9-6 M-F
9-5 Sat

NDIH

Hope it finds a home with someone :)

Hondo44 said:
The factory brass GFs sell for $300 and up by themselves. But not being a factory package I think the gun is priced a little high IMO.

Yep Have to agree on that.
Lets do some math :wink: Gun $800 plus find a OM steel or ROA frame $125-150 = gun investment $950. Sell brass frame $300 if nice.
Now 90% gun = $650 that is worth $400-450. :roll: :roll: Might be just a weeee bit upsidedown deal :lol: :lol:
Now another option. Buy 95% S47 $500 + $300 for brass frame. Sell steel frame $150 so now nice brass frame S47 for $650
Gee which way would I go :wink: :wink:

coal

Bearcat
:idea: Go for the gusto and find a bona fide lettered brassie. No matter the cost , who wants a fake? Every time you pick it up you will hear " it's a fake " rumbling around inside your head.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
That gun was discussed on the forum earlier this year, I had called Ruger on it already and found out it wasn't factory and posted that info. I thought a high price for what it was, particularly since they had a 45 Convertible sitting next to it which I was interested in. It's still there so must be overpriced.
HH

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Hey SteelShooter I have a factory Brassie with confirmation letter from Ruger that I might be selling soon. Send me a PM if you're interested.