rust on moonclips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i just got a ruger lcr 9mm, when i went to pick it up it didn't have any moonclips with it. i called ruger and they sent me a set free, i received them and yesterday as i was loading them i noticed rust on them or it looks like rust as my eyes are not what they once were. what can i do to get the rust off as these things look fragile? i contacted ruger they said to soak them in clp for a few hrs and rub with a cloth and repeat till rust is gone. also they are sending two more sets of them free for my trouble so i have to give ruger an A+ on cs. what would ya'll do to get rid of the rust? they are not covered in it, just got spots here and there, thanks for any help.

DGW1949

Hunter
Firm application of an oily rag and then wipe clean.
Repeat as needed.
If they are blued carbon steel, expect the finish to wear off someday.
Eventualy, they'll turn a medium brown color which will resist further rusting.
Use those and keep the perty ones to look at.

DGW

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
mexicanjoe said:
Toss them in the tumbler! Corn cob works best, just my two cents!

don't have a tumbler or know of anyone who does, that would work if i just had one. i used barricade and liquid wrench penetrating oil and got them pretty clean, at least enough so the rust is mostly gone. thanks

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
sorry i haven't updated, i did as ruger said and ya'lls advice and got them nice and rust free. i went on the ruger site to look at acc., and noticed they say the clips are stainless steel. from what i can see they are carbon because even tho stainless will rust it doesn't seem that it would be on all the clips i have gotten if they were stainless. i now have 24 extra clips 27 total and all had some rust. but i love the ease of loading so i'll put up with cleaning them from time time. thanks for all the help

Latest posts