??? on swapping frames on a Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lee barner

Bearcat
I just bought a Vaquero with the Bisley frame and hammer and would like to swap it for a standard frame. any problems with this swap? Lee

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I guess you're referring to the grip frame and not the frame?

If you use the hammer, grip frame, and trigger from the same gun, the swap is straight forward. It's mixing parts where mods come into play. I have a Bisley hammer in a plow handle grip frame. That's a lot more work.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too think your question is about swapping the grip frames around.

The main frame hole pattern is identical. So a grip frame will swap easily. And a Bisley hammer & trigger can be removed, and a standard Blackhawk hammer & trigger can easily swap into it.
DUE TO GENERAL MANUFACTURING,, you MIGHT have to do a little adjusting of the hammer/trigger parts. Most often,, not necessary,, just a gentle reminder.

The only other issue is that might appear would be the vintage of the main frame. Later main frames do not have the cuts in the frame that older grip frame alignment "ears" would go into. It was determined several years ago, that these alignment ears weren't necessary, and they were removed on both the grip frames,, and the slots in the mainframe were done away with.

lee barner

Bearcat

The main frame hole pattern is identical. So a grip frame will swap easily. And a Bisley hammer & trigger can be removed, and a standard Blackhawk hammer & trigger can easily swap into it.
DUE TO GENERAL MANUFACTURING,, you MIGHT have to do a little adjusting of the hammer/trigger parts. Most often,, not necessary,, just a gentle reminder.

The only other issue is that might appear would be the vintage of the main frame. Later main frames do not have the cuts in the frame that older grip frame alignment "ears" would go into. It was determined several years ago, that these alignment ears weren't necessary, and they were removed on both the grip frames,, and the slots in the mainframe were done away with.
I guess I didn't word my initial question very well. can I put a regulare grip frame on the gun without changing the Bisley hammer? I like the hammer but not a big fan of the Bisley grip frame. thanks. Lee

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I guess I didn't word my initial question very well. can I put a regulare grip frame on the gun without changing the Bisley hammer? I like the hammer but not a big fan of the Bisley grip frame. thanks. Lee
Lots more work as stated. I did this one.

Clipboard01.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Always much, much easier to sell your gun and buy the gun you want if it's made which of course it is. And easy to add a super Blackhawk hammer to a standard grip frame. It's lower, wider spur is very similar to the bisley hammer. Or find a vaquero Montado which comes with that style hammer and standard grip frame, but only in 45 Colt with 3 3/4" barrel.

Swapping grip frames usually requires fitting to the sides of the main frame and the 'ears' on both sides of the hammer, then reblueing the grip frame if not SS. You also need two new screws for the top of the grip frame beside the hammer because the bisley frame uses different screws in that location.

BearBiologist

Buckeye

I converted two "Birdshead" early/large Vaqueros some years back. One was converted TO a Bisley. Made a good bear gun with heavy loads. The other I converted to a plow-handle grip. This was before they started making a "shopkeepers" or Sheriff's" model. Was good for CAS but I preferred a balanced looking gun belt and inherited some money, so I went with twin 4 3/4 Colt SAAs.