Ruger Warranty Questions/Opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22short

Bearcat
In recent weeks I have purchased two new Ruger firearms that I've been looking at for some time and finally got the gumption and funding to purchase them. Both happened to be Lipsey model Rugers but that is not why I purchased them per se but more for the right calibers in the right gun. The first was the Single Seven in the .327 magnum which I think is a great caliber in a really nice gun, and the second a 77/22 magnum with the Mannlicher stock.

The problem is that on the .327 Single Seven after a couple of cylinders of shooting the pin holding the rear site in the frame is protruding at least a 1/4 inch if not more from the right side of the gun. Had I not noticed it while at the range the other day I might have lost it completely.

The second issue was on the 77/22. Right after getting the gun I purchased a new scope and proceeded to mount it. I noticed the front of the scope was touching the rear sight and it was not yet fully tightened. I turn the gun sideways and noticed that I have two different scope rings each of a differing height. The one in the rear is higher than the front mount, hence my problem with the rear sight. In looking at the manual that came with the gun both should have been the number four. One was a four and the other a five which is taller.

I call Ruger today with these issues and the nice lady said on the scope mount send it back and they will send me a new one. On the sight pin on the Single Seven she said apply some blue lock-tite to it and if that doesn't work send it in as the hole is too big. No offer to send me a shipping tag or pay for costs of shipping on either. Is this common for Ruger and is this what I should expect? Both are new guns with very little use on either.

The scope rings not too big a deal as I can send them in and hope someone sends me the right ones back. However on the .327, a brand new gun and I'm instructed to apply some lock-tite and see if it works. It's my thinking that it is a new gun and I expected it to work from the get go. I don't think I should have to be doing any hillbilly gunsmithing on a new gun. Again an easy fix, if it works, but it just kind of strikes me that if I can get one that is correct for the same price why keep the one with the enlarged pin hole and hope that my sight pin stays in place. And if not then I have to deal with it again in the near or distant future.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these things. One should they be sending me shipping labels for the returns and two would you be using lock-tite on your new gun hoping it works or send it back for a replacement? I really do like Ruger firearms and these guns in particular but am a bit disappointed that I buy two new guns and each has a problem right out of the gate.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum Dave!
First, on the Single-Seven, a sight pin working out isn't a big deal. None of us put loctite on any of ours. The pin is just a tiny straight rod, that if you drift it out a little, then gently tap the side of the pin to put a LITTLE bend in it, then tap it back in. If it's snug going back in, it'll go all the way in & not work out at all. This issue pops up from time to time, as you have a drill bit that's new drilling the hole, and the pins aren't always exactly the same size. I own quite a few Ruger SA's & once in a while, I'll get one that does the very same thing. I just apply a little bend & I've never had to re-visit it again. No reason to send one back at all!

The 77/22,,, ring differences. Obviously someone got crossed up & sent the wrong one. Ruger will correct that easily!
I had a guy buy a used bolt action rifle this fall. He wanted a different scope on it, other than the one that came on it. Well, someone had installed Leupold bases & rings, but since they didn't get the right ones, they put a rear base on the front, & front base on the rear. AND they left out one mounting screw. A reversal of mounts, and a change in the rings to get a proper set, (for the height difference in the action,) & I fixed him right up.

Mistakes happen.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger, that bug gives me the creeps!!!!!! :shock:

Ruger has always been top notch in warranting their firearms. If you send the weapon it, they will return it to you pretty darn quick, and usually there will be no charge. If you read their warranty you will not find it written that they will, but they will.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I'm going to brag a little on Ruger's warranty and customer service. Recently I had a major mental malfunction, while working on on of my Blackhawks, and did some frame damage to it. I called Ruger and got an RMA# and sent it in (admitting fault on my part and on my dime, since it was my fault). A few days later I received a call from a nice lady, telling me they deemed it unrepairable :eek: and would replace it at no cost to me. I don't think you can get better than that. I'm a Ruger customer for life.

6gun

Hunter
Actually Ruger has no Implied Warranty, but does replace or make repairs at it's own discretion and has a long history of always making things right to consumers of their products.

good points above, BUT there is NO reason to return the Single Seven, do as noted above, , put a slight 'bend' in any pin you may end up using to allow the sight body to pivot,NO, do not use ANY loctite or whatever as if you do ,you may get too much in and gum up the works, BAD move........
as for the rings, 'send ' the one ring back that is "wrong" ( you just MAY want the higher of the two rings, depending on just what scope you may be using, so you'll need to match the one you're keeping....any doubt, send back both and tell them you want the proper ring set, higher or standard, but "correct" for YOUR gun.............

Happy New Year

DGW1949

Hunter
Or you can send the guns back.
One will be returned with the correct mounts....which they would have sent you anyway, only the proccess will take longer.
On the other, they'll probably push the pin out a little, put a bend in it, and reinstall it.....just like Contender said to do....and/or maybe add a touch of Loctite, just like the lady said to do.

Your guns, your choice.

DGW

22short

Bearcat
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I was a bit miffed getting two new guns and each having a little bit of a problem. Nothing too big to handle but it is always interesting to hear what folks think and sometimes it helps put perspective on things. The scope ring is gone and I've yet to do anything about the sight. If nothing else just for lack of time.

Again thanks and happy new year to everyone here.

Dave

SAJohn

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Outstanding reply. I was gonna mention putting a slight bend in the pin.
Here is another vote that DA shoots that pesky fly.

In about 1975 I bought a brand new Ruger No. 1. When I got it home and opened all of the material, I discovered that the rings were missing. A quick call to Ruger was all it took and the rings arrived in my mail box about a week later.

John