Ruger vs Sig 1911's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Looking for honest, unbiased (no "gotta be Ruger just because they make it") opinions on the 1911's of Ruger and Sig. Anyone with actual first hand experience with both?
Have a Norinco, pretty worn, but a good shooter that was my father-in-law's but will likely add a nice one this yr sometime. Possibly for hiking carry but more just to have one. Kinda leaning towards the Sig due to them being available in 9mm. Yup, I like the cartridge so no need to debate one vs the other, just brand vs brand. Sig also get the noon their finishes as I'm not overly a fan of stainless and only the Talo made Rugers have the non-silver finish.
Ok...

GO!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I had a Ruger and have a Sig. I say go to a LGS and fondle both, then buy
the one you like best.

Rugers are either very good, or far less so. Fortunately, the number in the
latter category are diminishing.

Sig had a saying about their reliability that they have changed a few times,
but each of them says "very". I've yet to have a failure with a Sig.

Make sure you use the standard "break-in" process:
~ Dry fire a bunch
~ Hand cycle a BUNCH
~ Detail strip, clean, oil properly
~ Go to the range and have a ball
This should be used for EVERY new 1911; It saves frustration and ammo.

All of us have things we really like or dislike. Try both at the LGS and see
if either "trips your trigger", or doesn't. If only one does, that one will be
the "best" for you, and that's what is important. :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd go with a 9mm Springfield .... You can get them in several different levels and price points.

Best value by far is the Range Officer At about $725

REV

BlkHawk73
9mm Ruger 1911 would be nice, Are you subconsciously telling us something? :lol: :eek:

I have only one 9mm 1911 and it is the Citadel that I bought on a whim from Bud's for $329.00 when they were having a sale on them. I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised with it as far as accuracy and dependability is concerned.

But, I agree with Rev, the Springfield RO is really nice for the price and will probably be my next 1911 purchase.

I do own numerous Ruger and Sig 1911's and it seems to me that the Sig's are more accurate and better put together, plus Sig offers more choices although I am not sure about their 9mm offerings to be honest.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
BlkHawk73
9mm Ruger 1911 would be nice, Are you subconsciously telling us something? :lol: :eek:

But, I agree with Rev, the Springfield RO is really nice for the price and will probably be my next 1911 purchase.

Yup, they're pretty much a stripped down no frills TRP... Absolutely perfect.

It's really the only gun I have any interest in buying.

http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-handguns/springfield-trp-45acp/

REV

loaded round

Hunter
I own both in 45 ACP,and wouldn't part with either of them since both are excellent handguns. The Sig is better fitted all around, much smoother out of the box and costs approximately 50% more. My Ruger 1911 was a little rougher out of the box , took more time to break in, and needed a lighter hammer spring to lighten the trigger pull to around 4-5 lbs. having said that, both are quality handguns, will shoot more accurately that I can hold them, and I'd trust my life to either of them.

Yawn

Blackhawk
When the time comes for me to buy a 1911, it will most likely be a sig. You really are comparing apples and oranges here though, especially since there isn't a Ruger 1911 9mm that I know of. And, If I was going to spend over $600 on a semi-handgun, it probably wouldn't be a Ruger with what they currently offer. $400 on a striker fired carry gun in the SR platform... Yep. Much more than that... Nope. I can't see the reason why.

s4s4u

Hunter
I'm really looking for a lightweight CCO, and since Sig makes them and Ruger doesn't.......

I sold the last of my 1911s in 2015.

The Ruger was traded for a CZ75 SP-01 tactical.
The Sig Scorpion was traded for a Sig P226 Scorpion.

If I was into 1911s, I would have kept both.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Being a 9mm isn't a must, just a preference. A friend just bought a Sig so I'm going to take a look at his. Leaning towards one of them and if the price is right...;)

BlkHawk73 said:
Being a 9mm isn't a must, just a preference. A friend just bought a Sig so I'm going to take a look at his. Leaning towards one of them and if the price is right...;)

I got my Sig Scorpion 1911 for $859ish. I'd have to find the receipt. Even trade for a Scorpion P226 in same condition seems fair.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've got both of the all steel Ruger SR1911's...both are excellent in all respects...outstanding reliability and accuracy with features that appeal to practical every day use and carry and none of the mall ninja crap. The bad news is that they're heavy as all steel framed 1911's are. For that reason, I don't regularly wear them except on the farm here.

I also own and regularly carry a Sig RCS 1911 .45. If you're not familiar, it's built on an alloy frame with the shorter "Officer's Model" grip length, checkered on both the front and rear straps, with a match barrel/bushing, tritium night sights, and beaver tail grip safety. All corners and angles have been 'melted' to minimize hang ups during the draw movement.

But when I first got it, I had trouble with it failing to feed with most HP''s as well as my own TWC target loads. Examination revealed that the barrel ramp overshot the frame ramp, allowing the bullet to contact it most every time during feeding. Sig made that good, sending me a FEDEX label for shipment and I had the gun back in less than two weeks with a new barrel and a superb action and trigger job.

That Sig is as good in my hands as any Colt I've ever owned and better for carry than either of the two Rugers. Here's the plusses that make the Sig a better carry piece: it's nearly half a pound lighter in weight, has the tritium night sights that I think are mandatory on a true defensive hand gun, and it's checkered fore and aft on the grips making it very solid in the hand during recoil. It accepts all 1911 magazines and came with two short ones that allow a full 7 rounds with no grip extension. In my opinion, it's the Commander Colt always wanted to make (and it's a .45 not one of those pansy 9's, LOL.

Here's the obligatory pic.

Best regards, YMMV, Rod

Don Lovel

Hunter
I was able to afford a full size SR 1911, I was not able to afford a full size Sig 1911. I have shot both, only difference I could find was the style of sights on the Sig I shot was Trijicon, stock Ruger sights on my SR1911

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yeah ... In 1911's ... I'll pass on Rugers AND Sigs ... Colts and Springfield's for me. Years ago ... Colts .... Now .... Springfield's. Believe it or not .... I'm not at all impressed with Sig 1911's.

REV

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I have never fired a Sig 1911. Seems the folks I shoot Wild Bunch with have Colts - Springfields-STI-Ruger-Remington-RIA.
Never seen anyone shooting a Sig. Just recently saw someone with a Dan Wesson.
Not knocking them at all, just don't have any experience with them.
I do love my Sig P938.

Yawn

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Yeah ... In 1911's ... I'll pass on Rugers AND Sigs ... Colts and Springfield's for me. Years ago ... Colts .... Now .... Springfield's. Believe it or not .... I'm not at all impressed with Sig 1911's.

REV

Why not?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yawn said:
revhigh said:

REV

Why not?

Primarily because they're not true to the 1911 design. Or at least they weren't when they were first released about 10 years ago.

External extractor

Weird slide design

Frame not 1911 true to spec

I don't like rails on 1911's

The ones I've shot had feeding problems, but they were very early models.

From what I understand they now make a 'traditional' or 'classic' line now that's more true to the 1911 design. Haven't seen one. Accuracy was excellent of course since it's a Sig, but I guess I'm just old school. To me ... 1911 means Colt or Springfield, and since I already have so many ... Not real excited about getting any new to the game brands or models.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
powder smoke said:
Compare Sig to Ruger is Like Comparing Cadillac with Chevrolet. ps

That pretty much says it all across the entire lineup. But I'd say BMW to Chevrolet, since even Cadillacs are junk GM's. :D

REV

Latest posts