Ruger Standard Issue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

archaeofreak

Bearcat
Hi! I am new here. I have owned a Ruger Standard since I was about 11 years old (I am now 33). I am just now getting back into shooting after years away from the sport, and I decided I should clean my pistol. With the help of YouTube, I was able to (I think) successfully completely disassemble the pistol, including the frame components, such as the hammer, sear, sear spring, safety, etc. basically everything except for the trigger components (I was unable to remove the trigger pin). After reassembly, I test fired it a couple of times, and it seems to work correctly EXCEPT that I noticed when I hold open the receiver and look into the breech, the rod that is a component of the bolt seems to "stick out." Is this normal and correct? I am a little nervous, because this is the first time I have attempted a nearly complete dissassebly for cleaing, rather than a basic field stripping, and I had to make an educated guess about some reassembly (such as the sear and sear spring positioning). The pistol does fire, the bolt pulls back correctly and the safety works etc...I have a pic to upload but dont see anywhere I can do that. Thanks in advance for any comments and help!

Also, there does NOT seem to be a trigger pivot retainer in this pistol, unlike the Mark II on Youtube! Is this correct? Lookinng on rugers online shop, they do list 2 trigger pivot retainers (http://shopruger.com/Mark-I_II_III-Online-Parts/products/557/7/0) but not for the Standard, however, I though the Standard and Mark I were identical other than sights?

cagedodger

Bearcat
archaeofreak said:
After reassembly, I test fired it a couple of times, and it seems to work correctly EXCEPT that I noticed when I hold open the receiver and look into the breech, the rod that is a component of the bolt seems to "stick out." Is this normal and correct?

Yes. That is the recoil spring guide rod. The forked end rests against the bolt stop pin; it doesn't move with the spring. The little half moon plate at the other end moves along the rod with the bolt.

Cage

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
The (Mark I Generation) Standard pistol has an 1/8 Inch "E" clip attached on the left side of the trigger pivot pin which secures it into the frame. There is no trigger retainer spring like the ones found in the Mark II Generation pistols, which was the series of pistol you saw in the video.

Mk1_triggerparts.jpg

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Other than to make a "repair", we see NO reason to have to dis-sassemble the grip frame & its components, a good soaking or a blast of brake cleaner or gun scrubber, whatever, does all that is needed.........
yes, that "c" clip ( us old timers call it a Jesus clip, the reason is quite obvious, as when you try to take it out or put it back in....) 8)
as for the recoil spring quide assembly, it will stick out during recoil or when the bolt is all the way back, but should sit not quite flush when in the non battery position,,,,may a picture of what you are trying to say would help....follow the picture tips up in the 'FAQ' section ( I don't do 'links') I know guns, NOT computers :roll:

raw6464

Bearcat
I agree with rugerguy there's no need to take the grip frame apart. A lot of work for very little benefits over just using brake cleaner... it works very well and it's cheap at Wallymarts.

raw6464 said:
I agree with rugerguy there's no need to take the grip frame apart. A lot of work for very little benefits over just using brake cleaner... it works very well and it's cheap at Wallymarts.

Just make sure that it's non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner (or so I've been advised).

Latest posts