Ruger SRH Sling.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gcs

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me if a sling can be rigged on my SRH .44 without having to go to a gunsmith. Have been searching the web and the forum without any luck. Have a 9.5 in. Model with a Leupold 2.5x8 x 38 and a sling is the only practical way to carry this thing. Thanks. Ruger, Brownells, and Midway were absolutely no help at all :-(

Thanks.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have not done it but it is fairly simple. You can buy various size barrel bands with a sling stud that clamp on the barrel. For the other stud you will need to change to the hogue grip if you don't have it already. You replace the screw with this:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_store/lanyard_rings_&_studs.html

Instead of the typical sling attachment you will need to attach some type of clip to one end of the sling.

gcs

Bearcat
Thanks Mike, getting closer. What has me stumped is the barrel clamp. Can't find it anywhere, tried contacting Uncle Mikes Zilch. Don't want to smith it as the ones I have seen invoved cutting.

Thanks.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Check this out. Scroll down. They offer various different bands and they list the diameters. Just measure your barrel. Grovetec is great company. They were started by former management of uncle mikes after uncle mikes was bought out. If you call them they might sell just the band instead of buying the set.

http://www.grovtec.com/products_rifles.php

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Check out the Uncle Mike swivels for over/under shotguns. They clamp 2/3 of the way around the barrel. That's what I use for my Blackhawk.

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/magnum_single_over_under.html

Just need to measure the diameter of your barrel and see which one works for you. My Blackhawk uses one meant for the magazine tube for a Marlin lever action.

gcs

Bearcat
Right on track guys. Now this is what I am talking about. Something is wrong if I can't get it done now. Hope they have ss but would be happy to settle for blue.

Thanks again. I'm on it. [/b]

gcs

Bearcat
Well I spent the day trying to track down Uncle Mikes. Seems They are owned by Bushnell now. Spoke with tech support and asked if they had any barrel bands that would fit a SRH @ .859. He said that he didn't. Then I asked him about the lower band of a shotgun said he still had nothing, same same with groovetech. Bummer, the hunt continues.

Craig

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Try Brownells...part no. 593-159-001

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27299/sku=593-159-001/Product/1591-2-w-1-Loops-Bbl-OD-850-900-See-Specs-2-for-Model

gcs

Bearcat
Single sixer. Thanks guy Will be ordering in the morning. Thanks to all. I never would have found this. Spoke with Brownells earlier and Midway as well and they both told me they didn't carry anything I could use. I wonder how much more these companies could sell if they hired people who actually knew what they were talkink about.

Good hunting.

Fairshake

Bearcat
I use the hogue rubber Tamer grip on all my SRH. I replace the single grip screw in the butt with any detachable swivel stud used for rifle forearm ~ the one w/the machine threads ~ takes only one swivel loop. I found that I needed to run a tap thru the stirrup adapter nut as the thread pitch is different. I've even replaced the nut w/one of proper thread. I then drive any tapered tool, I've used the tapered shank of a pin punch (looks like a ring sizer) and even a cold cheisel thru the loop to round it out. The idea is to make the oblong loop round like a lanyard loop. This provides a practical carry, no mod other than changing the thread pitch of hogue's stirrup nut, secure carry using only single swivel and sturdy adjustable tactical sling most of which have built in bungi ~ Makes no footprint on the guns finish. Whats not to like?

I then slip the sling over head and a shoulder snap the single point clip to the swivel loop ~ ready to go.

I also have found bandolier style holsters to work well too. Thats just me YMMV

gcs

Bearcat
Great info. Thanks again. The Hogue stock mod was my first upgrade, my second was going with a lighter wolf spring for double action. I was wondering about the sling. You answered that for me as well. Good stuff. I love it when a plan comes together. Looks like I'm going hunting.

Cheers, Have a good one. Happy camper :D [/b]

Latest posts