Ruger SR9c, Ghost Ultimate Trigger Bar; Need Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

agksimon

Bearcat
Does anyone in this group, who has installed the Ghost Ultimate, 3.5lb. drop in trigger bar, in their Ruger SR9, or SR9c, live in West Michigan? I'm pretty handy working on guns and have looked at the videos and instructions on installation, but I'm still a little leery about it and would like in person help.
Anyone?

john16443

Single-Sixer
I'm a total newbie to guns and I was able to do it quite easily after watching the videos a few times. It's worth paying attention to the details about removing the cam block and that little spring, and paying attention to what's goinin on around the back of the assembly where the Ultimate drops in.

jhearne

Buckeye
It's a little daunting task if you've never really gotten inside the frame of the SR9/c. However, just practice at first with removing the core components to help familiarize yourself with the pistol and then once you get your feet wet, go for it. It's only the Drop-In so you won't be doing any cutting or anything, just a quick switch. I can swap out the Reset Bar in about a minute if I've got the couple tools I need....then again, I did make a few of them there videos ;).

Josh

agksimon

Bearcat
The factory trigger breaks very cleanly at 6.5lbs, on my SR9c. If the Ghost Ultimate 3.5lb will only lower it to about an actual 5lbs, is it really worth replacing?

PointNshoot

Bearcat
I love the SR9c trigger as it is.......the break is clean and I have
no creap I can feel - making the trigger lighter would bother me for CC
and may make the break show more

revhigh

Hawkeye
agksimon":2ggeqxp8 said:
The factory trigger breaks very cleanly at 6.5lbs, on my SR9c. If the Ghost Ultimate 3.5lb will only lower it to about an actual 5lbs, is it really worth replacing?

Just an FYI ... the difference between a 6.5# trigger and a 3.5# trigger on ANY gun is HUGE ....

REV

agksimon

Bearcat
revhigh":2iww3xuz said:
agksimon":2iww3xuz said:

Just an FYI ... the difference between a 6.5# trigger and a 3.5# trigger on ANY gun is HUGE ....

REV

I read in another thread that the 3.5 Ghost Ultimate only gets the trigger pull down to around 5lbs, not the 3.5 as advertised.
That's why I said I wonder if the 1.5lbs difference is worth it.

jhearne

Buckeye
I don't know why they claim a 3.5 lbs pull by the description, but on Ghost's website (I looked again but can't find it atm) I remember reading a little bit saying that the connector alone won't achieve the 'advertised' 3.5 lbs of pull on it's own. You need to install new springs to better balance the pull to the 3.5. Otherwise, you just minimally reduce the pull by putting in a new part.

I did my own tests, but I haven't formatted the videos and uploaded them, I intend on doing most of the work for that this weekend. In my tests, from a bench with the various available connectors installed, Bone Stock, Polished and Ghost Rocket. I got about 6.5, 6.0 and 5.0 respectively on an average of 5 pulls. I had the trigger zip tied around the little shoe/lever safety thing and that also acted as a positive stop for repeatability. I had the gauge put on the tip of the trigger, furthest away from the pivot point as possible to gain the maximum amount of leverage and enact the lowest pull I could. This was a best case scenario, when I would let the gauge slip below the stop and down closer to the pivot, the pull could even double in weight. Also important to note that my pistol has about 2000 rounds through it and that all my internals were polished during this test, except the Ghost and new factory reset bar (I had Ruger ship me one new for tests).

I'd say either install it and see if its any better, or just not install it. You do have another option, you could try polishing the internals (without the Ghost) or install the Ghost as is now, and then Polish after a couple hundred rounds of wear-in. Ghost recommends to not polish immediately before or after Ghost's installation. They say to let it wear in a bit before attempting any polishing if you do. If you're interested any in the Polishing, check my How-To in my signature for info.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
agksimon":1bsdv7z7 said:
revhigh":1bsdv7z7 said:
agksimon":1bsdv7z7 said:

REV

I read in another thread that the 3.5 Ghost Ultimate only gets the trigger pull down to around 5lbs, not the 3.5 as advertised.
That's why I said I wonder if the 1.5lbs difference is worth it.

Ah .... I was going by the quoted 3.5 .... certainly the 1.5# difference would be less noticeable.

REV