Ruger SP 101 Wiley Clapp edition and LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chgofirefighter

Bearcat
Hey guys just purchased a new Ruger SP101, the Wiley Clapp edition. Super nice revolver, I also have the Ruger LCR 38+P which is also a nice CCW revolver. I purchased some springs from Wolf's springs, but I couldn't find springs for the LCR, but that's not an issue. I dropped it off the SP101 to my gunsmith to get a full trigger action job, polish internal, shims, dehorn all the sharp edges, etc. I was going to change the springs out myself but I decided to allow an expert custom tune the trigger to my liking, it appears that a trigger job is more in depth than my lack of gunsmith skills :roll: I was debating whether to get it barrel ported by Magna Port but my gunsmith talked me out of it saying that most if not all defensive revolvers/pistol should be ported, especially guns with short barrels.

I found a place called Gemini Custom who appears to do some nice work but too pricey for my taste and budget, for $150 I'm getting a full custom trigger job, polishing internals, shimming the hammer and trigger, cleaning and polishing internal cylinder and removing/cleaning up all of the sharp edges of the SP101. Locally this revolver was being sold for $699 but thankfully to Grabagun, I was able to get it for $579 give or take a few dollars so not bad. It's a beautiful revolver! Any good recommendations for IWB holsters and OWB Holsters? I was recommended Garret holsters.. But not sure what others are out there so suggestion would be appreciated.

The LCR appears not to have any springs available, any reason for that? It could use some internal polishing to make it a bit smoother. But it's a find revolver as is but I'm picky, lol~ Thanks guys~

Welcome to the forum. Have you shot either of these guns much? I'm always amazed how many people spend a lot of money on guns, before they have an idea how they perform. That may not be you, but it happens a lot. I'm assuming the LCR is new to you, because by comparison it has one of the better triggers of ALL the smaller 5 shot revolvers on the market. If you think the LCR is bad check out the Smiths. I would go out and run a couple of hundred rounds through it and get a feel for it. Get a feel for the timing on it, when it bucks, the feel for when it comes back down to where the front sight is back on target and squeeze off another round. Take some slow shots as well and see how it shoots for you. Spend some time (with the gun unloaded) dry firing. 300-400 dry firing should either smooth it up, or give you a little more strength in your trigger finger. :) The SP101 is a nice gun. I've got a half dozen of them. I've also got one that has been through Gemeni and it's certainly a nice gun. Smallish guns that may be used for concealed carry are loud enough. Personally I would never have one ported, can't imagine how loud it would get. Especially if that happened to be the one close and you had to use it in your house. NO PORTING FOR ME.
I would think around Chi town you could find another gun smith who might be able to smooth it out for you but I think a fair amount of dry firing would do a lot for it. None of my SP101's have had trigger jobs except the Gemeni one and I bought it off the classifieds, from someone that spent the money already. And was greatful to get it. But it's not substantially better than my others. It takes a certain amount of pressure to pop a cap. Frankly I don't change springs out on guns. It's just not worth the risk. I REALLY expect the gun to fire when I pull the trigger. VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. Different manufacturers use different hardness of primers. Do your self a favor, do plenty of shooting, get very familiar with them. What round shoots to POA. Build up your confidence in the guns and I suspect the triggers won't bother you at all. JMO YMMV

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Simply Rugged pancake with straps for both iwb and owb, it will fit both guns I have both and it works great.

chgofirefighter

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack said:
Welcome to the forum. Have you shot either of these guns much? I'm always amazed how many people spend a lot of money on guns, before they have an idea how they perform. That may not be you, but it happens a lot. I'm assuming the LCR is new to you, because by comparison it has one of the better triggers of ALL the smaller 5 shot revolvers on the market. If you think the LCR is bad check out the Smiths. I would go out and run a couple of hundred rounds through it and get a feel for it. Get a feel for the timing on it, when it bucks, the feel for when it comes back down to where the front sight is back on target and squeeze off another round. Take some slow shots as well and see how it shoots for you. Spend some time (with the gun unloaded) dry firing. 300-400 dry firing should either smooth it up, or give you a little more strength in your trigger finger. :) The SP101 is a nice gun. I've got a half dozen of them. I've also got one that has been through Gemeni and it's certainly a nice gun. Smallish guns that may be used for concealed carry are loud enough. Personally I would never have one ported, can't imagine how loud it would get. Especially if that happened to be the one close and you had to use it in your house. NO PORTING FOR ME.
I would think around Chi town you could find another gun smith who might be able to smooth it out for you but I think a fair amount of dry firing would do a lot for it. None of my SP101's have had trigger jobs except the Gemeni one and I bought it off the classifieds, from someone that spent the money already. And was greatful to get it. But it's not substantially better than my others. It takes a certain amount of pressure to pop a cap. Frankly I don't change springs out on guns. It's just not worth the risk. I REALLY expect the gun to fire when I pull the trigger. VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. Different manufacturers use different hardness of primers. Do your self a favor, do plenty of shooting, get very familiar with them. What round shoots to POA. Build up your confidence in the guns and I suspect the triggers won't bother you at all. JMO YMMV

Thank you Sir, yes I have shot these revolvers. I might have not mentioned it but I always tend to take my gun purchases to the gun range to test them out, 300 to 400 rounds are tested on each firearm. Luckily I do my own reloads so I'm good with ammo for most of the time. I'm a competitive shooter, not saying by any means that I'm an expert, however. What kills a good trigger, a good hammer, cylinder, etc? (FRICTION) when those components are rubbing together, when the gun components are not aligned correctly from factory, due to the fact that these guns are put together/manufactured in a hurry by either machines or people. Special attention is not truly given to many firearms that are being produced.

So the (FRICTION) on the Ruger SP 101 needs to me reduced or eliminated by polishing the internals, using shims to address the misalignment of the hammer, trigger, new springs, etc. There's a lot to a gun than shooting the gun in the range, in order to get the best out of anything is to make it better. That is why we have too many custom shops that particularly charged an armed and a leg to customizes certain guns. Some of the work done maybe overkill, some of it may not it. It all the depends. But many people (ASS-UME) that by spending (MORE MONEY) that they (MUST) are getting something better and sadly that's a misconception.

Spending a lil bit of money to make the gun perform; as one wants it to perform is a personal preference, to spend $50 to take my gun to my performance gunsmith who I know personally and is a highly skilled competitive shooter to polish the internals, change the springs, and custom tune the trigger etc to my liking is no money. I actually took my recently purchased Taurus 605 snubby to get it tuned to my liking and I only spent $50. Now since I am taking the new Ruger SP101 he's only charging me $150. Go asked Gemini customs or any so call "custom shop" what they will charged to install springs and do a total action job on any gun?? Hundreds, and sometimes thousands.

But I get your point, many upon many gun owners spend thousands and hundreds on guns without first testing them out, breaking them in, etc etc. Thank you Sir~

Rob72

Bearcat
chgofirefighter said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
Now since I am taking the new Ruger SP101 he's only charging me $150. Go asked Gemini customs or any so call "custom shop" what they will charged to install springs and do a total action job on any gun?? Hundreds, and sometimes thousands.

But I get your point, many upon many gun owners spend thousands and hundreds on guns without first testing them out, breaking them in, etc etc. Thank you Sir~

If you actually contacted them, I'd guess you'd be into a "basic" Gemini for $250-350. I get what you're saying, but I will also note that no one wants to pay for real gunsmithing (~$35-45/hour, plus a basic shop fee). It takes me about 4 hours to turn out a nice SP, polished, squared, crowned, chamfered, shimmed and reamed, working straight through. I have several hundred dollars in tools & parts that I own so that I can "do" a revolver for myself, or a friend, once every three years. :roll: All that to say, $150 is a fair price. I've just encountered more hacks with "good" prices than starving gun-artists, which is why I have the aforementioned tools. There are some good guys out there, tho'. 8)