Ruger Sniper?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Sig685":3a7sgt33 said:
I have sent more bullets down range at 1000 yards, in competition, than most everybody here will shoot in their lifetimes. And I continue to do that every month.
Okay, I'll bite: Exactly how many rounds have you fired at 1000 yards, in competition, in your lifetime, and how many rounds do you fire at 1000 yards every month?

sebtool

Blackhawk
"What really makes me smile about this thread is that I always get attacked for talking about the one aspect of shooting at which I excel; long range competition, with people time and again telling me that nobody at this site cares about shooting past 100 yards. But yet, when there is a thread started by someone who wants to know which Ruger product to use for shhoting at long range, all my detractors suddenly become LR experts, without ever firing beyond 100 yards. You must appreciate the irony.

There is no one here who knows even 10% of what I know, what I personaly know about shooting at long range, because I have been doing it for many years, continuously. I have sent more bullets down range at 1000 yards, in competition, than most everybody here will shoot in their lifetimes. And I continue to do that every month.

As most of you know, I am always happy to share my information with anyone who is even mildly interested and I notice that not a single participant here has written anything to contradict anything I have stated about shooting at long distance."

End quote.

While I don't know who you are, your accomplishments, capabilities, or have a copy of the latest long range shooting magazine with your obviously gorgeous face beaming a knowing smile on the cover, I do know that you have no idea what anyone else here knows or has experienced.

Even tho I'm fairly new here, I have never seen a statement made on this forum that no-one here shoots at distances over 100 yards, or is even interested in it. Sounds pretty farfetched , IMO.

While the use of condescending insults and arrogance may serve to stroke your ego, it definitely doesn't do anything to answer the OP's questions, much less convince anyone else that you actually wish to share any of the information and experience you've obviously acquired thru decades of competition at the highest levels available to mortal man.

Personally, I don't have any experience at 1000 yard shooting, tho I do have a bit up to 600. Priorities dictated that I had to leave the sport for several years, and I was looking at getting back into it. As such, I was hoping to learn a bit from some of the related threads on the various forums I browse when I have the time, or need to make the time for an escape from everyday responsibilities.

But frankly, if every time an 'expert' decides to grace said forums with his presence and wisdom, I have to wade through BS such as the quote above, I'll go elsewhere for information.

As I recall from the few matches I shot, most other competitors were helpful without being arrogant, and once they determined that there was a genuine interest in learning, were willing to share knowledge, tips, etc. with someone starting out. Without the insults.

I've never before heard someone make such an insulting blanket statement about nearly 20,000 other shooters who they have never met, much less observed their capabilities at the range. Unless you've already beat their score 'on the line', you have no idea who or what you're talking about.

While it seems that there is a significant amount of knowledge you state you wish to share, the foolishness nature of the statements made concerning other shooter's experience and abilities, with no proof whatsoever, calls into question the veracity of any other information you deign to grace us with, making it virtually worthless.

What you get 'attacked' for, is your arrogance and insults. Though I haven't seen you attacked, as much as contradicted.

Off the box.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Snake45":3v5spo8e said:
Sig685":3v5spo8e said:
I have sent more bullets down range at 1000 yards, in competition, than most everybody here will shoot in their lifetimes. And I continue to do that every month.
Okay, I'll bite: Exactly how many rounds have you fired at 1000 yards, in competition, in your lifetime, and how many rounds do you fire at 1000 yards every month?

A very good question that caused me to go look into my records. Since 1982 this journey has been with 4 rifles; A Palma rifle in .308, an AR-15 Service Rifle, an AR-15 based match rifle and the current Ruger M77 UM in .308.

The Palma rifle records indicate a round count of 8,250 or so. I was not keeping exact records at the very beginning, so I'm not quite sure about the first 200 or so. This rifle was retired over a decade ago, but I still have it in my safe. I have a few hundred rounds left for it, and several hundred fired cases. They definitely do not fit in my current .308.

The Service Rifle was never shot except in XTC and the longest range is 600 yards, so we can't count those.

The AR-15 match rifle is on its second barrel. The first one was pulled just north of 5000 rounds at 5,200 rounds. The current barrel has a round count of 2,207. So a total of 7,400 rounds or so.

The current Ruger M77 UM had its first shot down the barrel on March 4 of last year and the load developed by May 17th with a total of 41 rounds downrange. Its first 1000 yard match was on June 7th and the current round count is 1,208, from which you can subtract the 41 rounds of load development and barrel break-in.

So this is a grand total of just under 17,000 rounds lifetime in matches. Since last year, I have been using my AR-15 match rifle at MR (600 yards) in addition.

My current regimen is 1 LR match (1000 yards) per month, with about 70 rounds (60 for records, with about 10 sighters,) and 66 rounds at MR. There are two resources besides my time, of which I keep track; ammo or rather, components, and barrel life. These rifles are only used in matches or squadded practice for matches and I only use the finest components assembled into the best ammo I can make in these rifles. Component prices have risen pretty rapidly in the last few years and that hurts, so you can well imagine that I do not waste ammo or barrel life.

For plinking, or regular target shooting and hunting, I have other rifles and handguns that I use. I preserve barrel life and expensive components. I buy these components in bulk.

So with 70 rounds of LR per month, 12 months a year and add in the occasional state match of neighboring club match, I shoot about 1,200 rounds a year in LR compettion and another 1,000 or so in MR comps.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys, it's just a question on the internet, don't make it personal or go off topic. "Just the facts Ma'am"

***Thinking to self, with the amount of moderating this site does, why isn't this thread get edited or split into a second thread.***

I need the info and I'm sure a lot of people can add to the thread giving me more education on the subject.

(Also, there's no room for pride when a certain person is in your life.)

Pal Val

Buckeye
The comments in this theme have made me reluctant to tell people about the 1,500 consecutive rounds I have fired with my .30-06 without ever missing the black!

:lol: :lol:

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Wolverton":rl6oyeu8 said:
Hey guys, it's just a question on the internet, don't make it personal or go off topic. "Just the facts Ma'am"

***Thinking to self, with the amount of moderating this site does, why isn't this thread get edited or split into a second thread.***

I need the info and I'm sure a lot of people can add to the thread giving me more education on the subject.

(Also, there's no room for pride when a certain person is in your life.)

Wolverton, as stated earlier, the Ruger 77VLE would be a good place to start. In .308Win it should shoot MOA or better, which is plenty good for your use out to 600m. There are good match bullets available for the .308 and it's an accurate round. The 168gr weight will perform well at that distance. Here, I'm talking an in-expensive path to acceptable success. If money is no object, then there are better combos. And, as stated earlier, there are gunsmiths available that will build you a rifle that will allow you to compete to the best of your ability.

When you go to 1,000m you need a cartridge and bullet combo that will remain above the speed of sound to the target to maintain accuracy. Many of the long range guys will shoot the least recoil cartridge available to stay within those parameters.

There are other forums that will provide you very specific discussions about the type of shooting you're interested in.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Well, even though I've contributed "above and beyond my knowledge" I guess those Energizer batteries just keep going and going and going and going... Besides, I'm evidently not "worthwhile" regardless of what I've done. Maybe it's time to depart the forum along with everyone else so inferior to our resident pro.
Hopefully all us humble minions will be allowed continue to bask in the glory which is...well we all know the name.
:roll:

However..I've yet to see ANY proof of what a particular member has stated. Being the internet, and all anonymous, how's one to know what's told is true or blowing smoke. For all anyone knows ANYONE here could be a world class shooter. Then again, most types of that caliber don't boast and parade themselves under the spotlights. Those that do... :roll:

Done with the ignorance and ego behind this door.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Sig685":212gjelc said:
Wolverton":212gjelc said:
...and the mods here think I'm controversial. lol

They do? How do you find out if you are controversial?

By getting me involved. We do NOT appreciate the attitude I see displayed here.

Sir, calm down your rhetoric and join in with the guys here. We appreciate learning shooting techniques and ammo loading techniques and seeing wonderful firearms.

flatgate

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info everyone, please lock the thread and I'll use it for reference in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.