Ruger Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mackelroy

Bearcat
Hey guys. I've been browsing the forums for a while, since buying my first handgun - a Ruger P95 - last year.

I've always liked the styling of the old single action revolvers. At our family Christmas this year, my uncle and cousin each brought their Heritage Rough Riders to show off. I have to be honest, they were a hoot to shoot, and pretty darned accurate. I was pretty much certain I would end up buying one of those, especially after I saw the price. As I started to read up on them on various forums, I noticed that many people advised against the Heritage guns and recommended Single Sixes instead. Price is an issue for me, so while I respected that the Single Six had many fans and a long history of proven reliability, new specimens were twice the price of a Rough Rider, and used versions, at least in my neck of the woods, were going for $350 or more.

Well, today I was browsing the listings on gunbroker.com, and came across a Single Six that only had the 22LR cylinder. While the 22 mag cylinder would be nice, I don't have to have it. But what really caught my eye was that the gun looked to be in great shape, and the price wasn't really moving much off the initial listing. So I put in a bid fully expecting it to take off near the end of the auction. To my surprise, the bid held. (So much to my surprise, in fact, that I'm wondering if I missed something and bid on a clunker).

Anyway, here's what I won. Thoughts?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274701884

Tioga County

Bearcat
I picked one up with the .22 mag cylinder, but in rougher shape for around that price in a LGS. Have put thousands of rounds through it, only about 50 of them magnums, I cannot imagine you'll miss the convertability factor. I think you got a nice buy, but not so cheap that I'd be worried there was something wrong. I love mine, it has helped me learn how to shoot a handgun, and is great to use with kids. It is a great tool for learning to shoot, and is always fun.

americal

Hunter
A great first post :) you did as said real good you can find mag cy. if you want one--shot thousand's of rounds + in one Ruger RSS old model -but that is all I shot --shot two boxes of Federal 550 in one sitting,standing :lol: 0n several occasions in the past ----why I use old school ACE steel trigger shoes----------- have fun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
pix309939221.jpg

Wow, you done good!

flatgate

Bigshot270

Bearcat
Very nice. It looks to be in good shape. You will love it. I just came in from doing some 160 yard plinking at a 16" steel gong with my single six. Can you say FUN?

mackelroy

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm pretty excited about it. Can't wait to get her in my hands for a closer inspection. Unfortunately, my FFL is on vacation this week, so I'll have to wait a bit longer to get the gun.

That's ok, though. Gives me some time to come up with a way to break the news to the wife. It's about the only thing for which our enthusiasm is not matched.

MACKELROY-

Great first post and even better deal you got for yourself... 8) 8)

Welcome to the forum and to Ruger Single Actions....you don't realize it, but you may have just caught the disease that many of us here suffer from....

....in the near future, you are going to want to buy an OM Single Six and then, it will be too late...run now...while there is still time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I would have bought that one if it was a shorter barrel. You just bought a BMW compared to the Rough Rider Yugo.

You WILL NOT be sorry!

When you get it, carefully measure the overall length of the cylinder, and watch the ads for a 22 mag cylinder of the same length.

They are out there if you are patient.

Great buy!

Louie

You appear to have done well.

I'll not disparage the Rough Rider, but "It's not a Ruger." Different strokes for different folks.

That Single-Six should be a great shooter for decades to come!

mackelroy

Bearcat
louiethelump said:
I would have bought that one if it was a shorter barrel. You just bought a BMW compared to the Rough Rider Yugo.

You WILL NOT be sorry!

When you get it, carefully measure the overall length of the cylinder, and watch the ads for a 22 mag cylinder of the same length.

They are out there if you are patient.

Great buy!

Louie

I'm anxious to get it. The 6.5" barrel is exactly the length I was after. After handling them in gun shops and such, it's the one that felt most balanced to me. I also figure the longer sight radius won't do anything but help with accuracy.

I did once handle a 4.75" single action with a birdshead grip that felt pretty darned good, too.

AlanJ65

Single-Sixer
Just to save you the time, start saving up for a Blackhawk in .45 convertible. Speaking from experience you're gonna want one soon anyways. Congrats on the new Single Six.

satch

Bearcat
I bought a Heritage single six about 2 years ago,and it did shoot very good and I shot mostly .22 mags.in it and one day at the range the frame over the top of the cylinder broke clean off. I looked on their web site and found out this has been a problem with the Heritage SS.
Back in October I was to work at our Range Clubs table at the local gun show and before going to the table I walked around to see what's around and found a like new Ruger .22 SS 9 1/2in. barrel for sale and bought it. It also has adjustible sights and is accurate as hell,and much better quality than Heritage.

Rclark

Hunter
Good find. I find that the magnum cylinder just gathers dust anyway. You won't miss it.

I have an RR and as you found, mine is very accurate. Always in my range bag and all I shoot is .22LR in it. FWIW, it has been good to me and it loads 'old school' with the 'clicks' and half cock. I like that. If only it didn't have a pop-metal painted frame with a stupid safety bar. On the other hand the Single Six is a step up. All coil springs, strong as a bull.... but no half cock to load. You can 'feel' the difference in quality. Will last a life time and as stated has adjustable sights. Just as accurate as my RR. Anyway, you'll enjoy it. I sneak my son's out every once in awhile :) as he doesn't shoot his much.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Wow, you did good. That one has one of the really nice sets of wood grips on it and appears to be in excellent condition. It would have sold for at least $50 higher any other day of the week. Guess all the other bidders were sleeping that day. There's no comparison with the Heritage. They have Chevy Cavaliers you have a sweet Cadillac.

keen one

Bearcat
A very nice piece. It will not be your last Ruger single action.
BTW you did well on the purchace.
Shoot often.

williamc

Single-Sixer
I really love my SS (my avatar). I rarely use th mag cyl, mostly because 22 mag ammo is nearly as expensive as 38spl.

In fact, I love it so much I got a blackhawk to match.

Pvt. Pyle

Bearcat
IMG00004-20110217-0115.jpg

I found this one under the seat in a pickup I bought off of ole Craigslist.

They have Chevy Cavaliers you have a sweet Cadillac.

Just to throw it out there... Cavaliers are cheaper to fix!
Sorry, as a Cavalier driver I had to say it :lol: