Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCK

Single-Sixer
I'm very fond of my Stainless Single-7.
It was bad about stiff or sticking cases at first, but repeated polishing finally cured that.
Accuracy with other than nearly impossible to source jacketed bullets either in component or loaded ammunition was BAD when I bought it. It suffered from thread choke in the threaded portion of the barrel. Repeated attempts at fire lapping and shooting max loads of H110 with jacketed bullets finally got it to where it shoots decent with cast bullet loads.
The trigger pull nearly made it a "crew served" handgun. I adjusted the spring tension and replaced the hammer because I botched the first attempt at reducing the sear engagement.

It now is the gun it should have been when it left Ruger. I've had several Black Hawks that were similar, and traded off.
I use exclusively small rifle primers in the .327 loads so as to avoid cratering and sticking the cylinder. It's decently accurate with my "field" load of #2400 under the Lee 113gr RFN-GC for about 1,300fps.
However, it mostly gets shot with the Lee 93gr RN powder coated and sized to .314" over 2,2gr of Bullseye or TiteGroup. There is however a good amount of difference in POI/POA between the loads.
The most fun I've had though is with .32acp loads with the Lyman 78gr RN bullet over 1.8gr. It's like shooting CB caps in a .22rf.

With full power.327's the cylinder pin WILL walk out. My solution is to shoot.32hr or .32swl equivalent loads which doesn't cause pin walk. When shooting.327's, I just push on the pin after shooting a full cylinder.
One day I'll replace the retaining spring…
I since have acquired a Taurus M76 in .32mag. It's a TACK DRIVER, so it gets the most attention…
That and the nearly equal S&W .30SC EZ.
Targets are 25yd groups.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpeg
    IMG_0003.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
And I've shot a LOT of handloads.
Me too. But only .32 H&R Magnum with lead bullets (no jacketed/plated). Don't even own one .327 case. It is easy to load the .32 H&R magnum to .22LR velocities which is what I was after. Just doubled the weight of the .22 bullet :) ... From 40 to 80. Shot some 100s, 115s too....

Great thread !! I have 3 .327's and a .32 H&R. My first was a Lipsey's 7 1/2" stainless S7 .327, I bought that cause I couldn't find a .32 H&R at the time! My second was a 5 1/2" blue Bisley S7 .327, Then finally the S6 .32 H&R's became available in a 6 1/2" Bisley, so I bought it ! Then I found a 6" stainless GP100 in .327 seven shot ! The GP, 5 1/2" .327 and the .32 H&R went back to Ruger right off for front sights not being straight up at 12 o'clock. All were corrected ! Have not had any other problems with them and they all shoot wonderfully !! I love them!!! I hand load for them all, the GP is the only one that has ever had factory ammo thru it (one box of Federal American Eagle 100gr) !!

w1ksz

Bearcat
I checked my stash and found a SS 4 5/8" .327 Single-Seven. Never been fired. Don't think it will
ever se the range either.
I could be talked out of it. Pse PM me.

Star43

Blackhawk
Bruce51,, first off,, "Welcome to the Forum!"

I read all of your posts with great interest. I applaud your tenacity in working with this gun. You are correct about some of the earlier ones having a very narrow space in the loading gate where you had to perfectly index the cylinder to load & unload. Unless I'm mistaken,, Ruger has corrected this issue.
And you are most likely correct in that Ruger didn't test your gun with .32 SWL (which I'm assuming is S&W Long) ammo. The gun is chambered in .327 Mag, and I'd bet that's all the ammo they tried.
Great post from Contender. He went over all of the issues well. His last sentence summed it up very well........I too have faith Ruger will make it right for you....Good luck !! 😊

Star43

Blackhawk
One thing I noticed from a lot of the posts is the cost of the ammo itself & the lack of availability of the 327 and even the 32 H&R for that matter. It makes me think of the short conversation with the guy at my local and pretty large gun shop. He said they don't carry the ammo as it's "not popular"....I did tell him, how can it be popular if you don't even have it here for people to buy. How many times I bet a guy would just walk in and peer over the counter to check the ammo shelves. All shelves I've seen in shops are pretty organized by caliber from small to large. I would bet a lot of guys would come and look and see nothing there and just walk out with even saying anything. If I owned a shop, I would have at least a couple of boxes of all ammo I could order to have on my shelf. How can you sell or generate any interest on something you can't even show ??

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
I bought the first one I saw. It has been great. I have a 32 H&R Single Six as well and the Single Seven does up the grin factor enough that if I had to decide between the two I'd take the Single Seven.

Mostly I use mine for woods bumming. I feel confident the 327 will handle most things that would tangle with my dogs. A box of 32 longs goes along should a plinking opportunity arise. 32 S&W are fun but don't shoot POA enough to be practical. 32 Long on up to 327 are close enough POA = POI out to 25 yards. I probably shoot 32 H&R mostly. 100gr SWC over enough Unique to get it scooting just under 1100 fps is very accurate and will handle most chores including silhouette matches. Most the 327 gets used on long range targets. Several of us have Single Sevens and the 400 yard dinger is reachable. 32 S&W Long does mostly small game duty and first time shooter introductions.

400 yards

32 loads vs milk jugs

mkEevJsl.jpg

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
‽!lol1o ok I'm gnarly
One thing I noticed from a lot of the posts is the cost of the ammo itself & the lack of availability of the 327 and even the 32 H&R for that matter. It makes me think of the short conversation with the guy at my local and pretty large gun shop. He said they don't carry the ammo as it's "not popular"....I did tell him, how can it be popular if you don't even have it here for people to buy. How many times I bet a guy would just walk in and peer over the counter to check the ammo shelves. All shelves I've seen in shops are pretty organized by caliber from small to large. I would bet a lot of guys would come and look and see nothing there and just walk out with even saying anything. If I owned a shop, I would have at least a couple of boxes of all ammo I could order to have on my shelf. How can you sell or generate any interest on something you can't even show ??
For sure, I see that a lot .👍

Hankus

Blackhawk
I have the model 8165 (blued plow handle 4-5/8" bbl). I've only put about a half box each of the factory Federal 85 and 100 grain ammo through it, with no issues whatsoever. Sooner or later I'll get around to getting some dies and play around with reloading for it. It's "snappy" with the factory loads!

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpeg
    IMG_5232.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Bruce51

Bearcat
Thank you contender for your interest. My SS problem is a ghost. I never know what it will do on the next range trip. The last time I pulled the FP bushing I was surprised how much soot was on the pin shoulder. I believe this is why it started to misfire.
I'm sure Ruger will not appreciate the fact that I shoot reloads. Also that I have removed the FP four times. I freely admit to this as fixing or at least trying is what I do.
OTOH I checked some .32 S&W I fired when new. Only seven rounds but no pierced primers.
There is definitely something going on due to the difference in rim thickness of .327 and .32 SW&L. The SWL are closer to the breech face
and this is the longest FP I have in a SA.

hittman

Staff member
I hear a lot of complaints about 7 shot revolvers; Rugers and the Smith 686.

Star43

Blackhawk
I have the model 8165 (blued plow handle 4-5/8" bbl). I've only put about a half box each of the factory Federal 85 and 100 grain ammo through it, with no issues whatsoever. Sooner or later I'll get around to getting some does and play around with reloading for it. It's "snappy" with the factory loads!
That's a nice looking gun there !! 😊

Star43

Blackhawk
Thank you contender for your interest. My SS problem is a ghost. I never know what it will do on the next range trip. The last time I pulled the FP bushing I was surprised how much soot was on the pin shoulder. I believe this is why it started to misfire.
I'm sure Ruger will not appreciate the fact that I shoot reloads. Also that I have removed the FP four times. I freely admit to this as fixing or at least trying is what I do.
OTOH I checked some .32 S&W I fired when new. Only seven rounds but no pierced primers.
There is definitely something going on due to the difference in rim thickness of .327 and .32 SW&L. The SWL are closer to the breech face
and this is the longest FP I have in a SA.
I think Contender would know more about what Ruger would think when they really take a good look at it. I think you raise a good question about what they would think ? One tech may think that "this guy played with this gun too much And it's the handloaded ammo he is using is causing this problem".......then again, maybe one guy who looks at the documentation of what you did and why you did it to help the assorted problems, will take a positive attitude that it is the gun, and not you. This would be interesting, to me anyway, is how Ruger handles this ?? Good luck! !! 😊

Star43

Blackhawk
Ye
Wow , I am gonna do some research before I buy one .👍.
Yeah, it's always good to do research on whatever you want to buy, but in this particular case, in my humble opinion, it is the actual gun itself. Too many other guys out there love them. Think about cars for a minute. They all come off the same line, time and time again, but every one in a very great while, a lemon shows up. In this case with poor Bruce, he got that lemon. I really think Ruger will make it right for him. I do. 👍

G2

Hunter
My very first 327M was the 5.5", I changed up the hammer (Bisley), front sight, Belt Mountain #5 Basepin, slimmed the trigger.
Next acquired the Birdshead, Changed to Bisley Hammer, slimmed trigger, and early Lett Black Mikarta grips.
… Then the 5.5" Blue Bisley,,, swapping out the Bisley Grip Frame, for the Brass Keith #5 (RW grip frames) & BM #5 Basepin, 2 Dogs front sight, slimmed, & getting re-blued, hand made grips. (myself)
51972050673_05756bed3d_k.jpg

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
My very first 327M was the 5.5", I changed up the hammer (Bisley), front sight, Belt Mountain #5 Basepin, slimmed the trigger.
Next acquired the Birdshead, Changed to Bisley Hammer and Black Mikarta grips.
… and then the 5.5" Blue Bisley,,, swapping out the Bisley Grip Frame, for the Brass Keith #5 (RW grip frames) & a BM #5 Basepin.
51972050673_05756bed3d_k.jpg
All 3 guns are very nice. All 3.....Dumb question, which is your favorite one and is it also your favorite one to shoot ?? 😊

Reactions: JCK