Ruger Single Action Screwdrivers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
My current collection of screwdrivers does not seem to have a bit that fits the grip panel screw slot perfectly on my NM Blackhawk, so I thought I would just get a set that are made for the ruger SA and would cover all or most of the screw heads on the gun. All I have found is a three screwdriver set from Grace and a magnet head set of bits from Brownells.

Any body have experience with either of these sets, or a different set?

KLNC

Single-Sixer
I use the Grace Pistol set (I think 7 pcs.) and the Grace Colt set of 2. They seem to fit all the various screws on old and new models just fine and are of high quality. If Grace makes a specific Ruger set I'm sure they would be ideal.

skeeter

Single-Sixer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L9XZUB6/ref=aw_pd_cart_msp_2_7?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00L9XZUB6&pd_rd_r=4FG8N3W64EBAKV7RAZF4&pd_rd_w=COwFK&pd_rd_wg=zUABL&psc=1&refRID=P5Q21QS6RGJJGSTAV227

A set for Ruger single actions

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have bought these from Home Depot and buy bits from Brownell's.

However, I did find that the small bit that comes from Home Depot (the brand is Husky) is the right thickness and I turned it down in my drill press to correct width to fit the grip screw.

Bob Wright

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
sjs said:
Thanks guys.

I have this DAC Gunmaster kit. Fits the screws on all my firearms. Wrenches not included in the kit. I also keep a couple steel dental picks (not shown) in the box - very useful for digging out hardened gunk in black powder guns.

4iN4p3Z.jpg

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I have some screwdriver bits from Brownell's that I love. The "basic" kit, Magna-Tip Super Set, has a long and short grip, and a ton of properly flat ground bits that will fit most gun screws. The only Ruger screw I've encountered that it doesn't fit it the sight adjustment screw; that takes a smaller bit. They also have a set of bits-only that are ground very thin, Magna-Tip Thin Bit, obviously for screws with very narrow slots. (I put basic in quotations because it is actually a very well stocked kit, it just lacks the very thin bits in the other set.) Actually, I've got two Super Sets; one at work and one at home. That's how much I like them.

For very specific screws, what I have done in the past is take the closest bit that is just oversize and grind it to fit; then, order a
replacement bit to fill the box. I once had a European shotgun that required 5 of these bits! All very thin and odd sized. They went with the gun when I sold it.

a6399d582c4ce058490536fc2df2d992.jpg

Enigma

Hunter
IIRC, Brownells bits are guaranteed against breakage. I bought their Magna-Tip set back about 1978, and have been using them with satisfaction ever since.

Cholo

Staff member
I have the set BPGuy has that I bought in '79. Everything is still in perfect condition. I bought my boy that same 58 bit set for Christmas. Really good stuff!

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I have the set Brownells sells for the Ruger Blackhawk. It is the driver along with the 5 bits required for Ruger BHs and they all store in the handle compartment of the driver. Very convenient and high quality.

win1894s

Blackhawk
I have the Chapman set and craftsman screw drivers that ground down to fit old models and colts.I also have Brownells
Bit set for winchesters

Psb1911

Single-Sixer
I use Grace screwdrivers and a 70's vintage Champion hollow ground set.