Ruger Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Makeminea45

Bearcat
Called Ruger today about sending my Bisley in to get a new cylinder with the proper cylinder throat size installed. They said they would have to evaluate the gun once they recieved it and if they decide it needs work they would contact me with an estimate or they would just service it and send it back if they felt nothing was needed. Is this the norm for anyone here who has sent a gun to Ruger with this problem? I do not feel I should have to pay twice for a gun they should have gotten right the first time. If the throats were undersized I could have them opened but it's the other way around with mine. The chambers are oversized also. Not to encouraging.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I don't see Ruger doing anything like changing the chamber throats. That would cost money and time. They would be more likely to just put a new cylinder just like the one you have already in the gun. Which would be stupid as they see nothing wrong with the throats in the first place.
Good luck

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I understand the stance of not being encouraged Makeminea45.

But I don't believe any company would just write a blank check to send items back for service. There is always going to be some level of decision making in a return. If you think of it from Ruger's perspective, how many times have they seen item's sent back that shouldn't have been sent back? So they tell everyone they will evaluate each on an individual basis.

You could get some idea of your issue by running this by the guys in the gunsmith forum within this very forum. I can see a need to measure the throats and get some idea of what the measurement is so you know what you are dealing with. You may contact Ruger and ask them the spec they work with and find that you are within spec. Let them tell you the spec before you give up your information.

With these type of things you need to fight off that emotion and deal with actualities. The unfortunate thing is you are going to burn off a little time in the whole process. Maybe knowing that an issue will burn some time is what upsets us the most.

Makeminea45

Bearcat
wixedmords, I did not notice the smithing forum thanks. I read a thread there about this same problem. Appreciate the responses.

Makeminea45

Bearcat
s4s4u, My bore measures .451 so I would say throats measuring .4525 would be ideal. I just cannot get this gun to shoot groups even using bullets at .454. Been looking for bullets sized larger that I could buy in a small amount just to try. If I could get a bullet at say .455 to shoot well I would order a custom mold from LBT for it. As it stands the only larger 45 mold I have is for my Marlin 1895ss and it cast 420 grain at .459.