Ruger Service on Older Models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not sure if this is the right place, but move if necessary. First, I just want to say their customer service is second to none. No complaints with that.

I recently sent off a '76 model Single-Six to Ruger for some minor work. Got it back today. They fixed it, works great. Best part, no charge. Only potential issue is they re-blued it. Looks great, but it was on a Colorado commemorative. What is everyone's opinion on the impact on collectability/value. Granted, these models are fairly common, but what about something more rare?

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
As you mentioned, plenty of those out there, so I'd shoot and enjoy it regardless of whether it'd been refinished or not. As far as anything rare or collectible, I wouldn't send any such thing back to Ruger anymore, as they're more concerned with checking a box for their legal department than nostalgia or collectability at this point.

contender

Ruger Guru
There is a small premium for the Colorado Centennial model in "ANIB" condition. And as mentioned,, many were made,, so if your gun was in need of a re-blue,, then at least it was done by the factory.
I agree they should have reached out to you to inquire about re-bluing it unless you weren't specific about the work/repairs necessary.
And I agree with BULL'S-EYE in that I'd never send back any gun to them that remotely has any collector potential.

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
They might have just reblued it because the finish got scuffed up a little during the repair process? It does happen, and they surely can't return it to a customer with even a small amount of cosmetic damage that wasn't present when they received it. 🤔

About 30 years ago a friend of mine bought a 1975 vintage Ruger Security Six with a 4 inch barrel. It looked like it had been kept in a chicken coop and dragged behind a truck. However the action was tight and it hadn't been shot very much.
He got it for less than $100 and wanted it reblued. We checked around and found out that the Ruger factory was the best price.
The bluing cost him $35 plus the shipping to and from Ruger through a FFL.

When it got back there was a small cloth bag attached to the trigger guard and a detailed invoice in the box. For the original price quoted by Ruger they not only blued it but replaced the hammer, springs and trigger as well as put a new set of grips on it. The invoice said no charge for anything except the bluing and explained that there was one pit by the muzzle that they could not repair.

You can't beat the service you get from them.

They might have just reblued it because the finish got scuffed up a little during the repair process? It does happen, and they surely can't return it to a customer with even a small amount of cosmetic damage that wasn't present when they received it. 🤔
That's what I think. It was scuffed during the service. Lesson learned.

epags

Single-Sixer
I have posted this before however, I have a Ruger Mk1 pistol and it was having a FTF issue. Decided since it was over 40 years old the hammer spring may need replacing. I read about how difficult it could be to replace I contacted Ruger (and was willing to pay for the service) and they had me mail the assembly to them. They replaced the spring and mailed it back to me without any cost except my initial postage.
Great company.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Unless it's a rare model of course, factory refinished Rugers are the exception to my disdain for refinished guns. Their methods result in a finish virtually the same as the original and can even be a little better; fixing small polishing flaws missed on the original finish.

On very poor condition guns it's true that every rust pit cannot be removed but the gun will be worth a lot more factory refinished than not, including the very reasonable cost to refinish it. Depending on how bad it was to begin with.