Ruger scout

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't see much talk about the scout. Do you guys still like them?
20220301_180521(1).jpg

mike4570

Bearcat
Love mine, still looking for another…..18.7" stainless model.
Hoping Ruger will add a few more chambering. My vote is for the 358 Winchester

gunzo

Hunter
I like mine, like the concept & think it's a good tool to have in the box. It's a 6.5 CM

Even though mine has a synthetic stock, I'm a bit disappointed of the guns weight. Ruger seems to have contoured the barrel to fit a scout rail rather than fit a rail to a nicely contoured barrel. I too mounted a scope in the conventional manner. I keep the rear sight, wrench, scope removal tool, & a loaded extra mag in a stock pouch(more weight). I guess there ought to be a fire starter & knife in the pouch as well. LOL

gunzo

Hunter
I wonder sometimes where these rifles fit in the grand scheme of things, or in the lineup of a rifle battery with everyday folks.

I know the criteria given to the gun when it was conceived, but where does yours fit in? I like to hear of their roles outside the original designation, as we are not likely all Scouts.

My 16" Scout, in .308, with the forward rail removed and flash hider removed, I use as a hunting rifle. It's stout, but the short stature makes the weight a non-issue.

I do wish it had an internal box magazine. But then it wouldn't be a scout.:unsure:

Last edited:

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Helped a guy at the Range sight in his Ruger
Guide Gun (18"bbl & sync stock) 308Win.
Scope was mounted on receiver.

They are nice, compact, and appeared accurate.

I liked it, and would recommend them.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Best all around rifle for just about most things. I put a Yankee Hill Flash Hider on it, not because I want to break down some doors or impale zombies, but because it looks bad ass. My son changed scopes on it but the main change I made was to remove the OEM rail because the aperture on the rear sight was too small. I couldn't see through it, so I got an XS rail with a larger aperture on the peep. That was for shooting without the scope. Much better. The scope on it now is a Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 Scout. Caliber is .308. Synthetic stock. Well made and will certainly outlast me and probably my son as well...I am sure my G'Daughter will appreciate it when she gets older. She is more advanced than I ever was, with her 10/22 now.

Attachments

• Yankee Hill Flash Hider.JPG
    Yankee Hill Flash Hider.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 95
I had one that I put a 45mm red dot on, plus had a traditional scope I could switch to. It had the 16.5" barrel. I ended up using scope on another gun and sold the scout rifle to a friend. I'm looking to buy another one, this time a stainless/synthetic one with the 18" barrel.
Probably go with a scout scope this time, and maybe switch back and forth with a red dot.

asteirman

Bearcat
I have two in 308. Both 18 inch barrels. Both came from the factory without muzzle break and no threads. One is blued with a Burris 2-7 Scout scope. The other is a stainless with a Leupold 2.5-8, in the conventional position. I opted for them as I really like the "Export" model without the muzzle break. Curiously both have the Gunsite logo on the stock. My understanding is the blued model without brake was a distributor special, but the stainless is a mystery. Maybe a leftover barrel from the export models. They also both shoot sub moa. Picture below 100 yard sight in with 150 grain Sierra handload.

Attachments

• FDD50091-8A78-4DEB-AB58-59C54C5F395F.jpeg
    FDD50091-8A78-4DEB-AB58-59C54C5F395F.jpeg
    888 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
My 16" Scout, in .308, with the forward rail removed and flash hider removed, I use it as a hunting rifle. It's stout, but the short stature makes the weight a non-issue.

I do wish it had an internal box magazine. But then it wouldn't be a scout.:unsure:
Try as I'd like, I'm unable to edit and add photos to my original post.

Last edited: