Ruger Scout users please step inside......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m657

Buckeye
Every time I get my hands on one it seems to bond with my nervous system. LGS has new one at $800, 1 mag.

I've got an absolutely marvelous M77 International 308 that I hardly ever shoot but absolutely fits my limited rifle needs. Why would a virtually identical package have any merit for such a casual user?

Stinging and pithy invocations showing solid evidence hands-on use demonstrates such fanciful worship is illogical and I can live well with it, would be appreciated.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have a Ruger International in 308 too - a very nice rifle. The GSR is pretty much the same length, maybe that similarity is a reason to not buy ...? :cry:

The GSR just looks, handles alot differently than the International. Different stock, different look and feel. Mounting the scope (hopefully) up front, detach rings of course. Unlike the International you can add a nice muzzle brake (I used PRI) to kill recoil - and clear the bench to your left & right.

Detach magazines, and the ones from Ruger are inexpensive.

You wanted reasons to buy it, right? :wink:

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have an RSI in .308Win. You can't buy it, nor can you trade a GSR and cash for it.

You're not going to gain fire superiority with either one in a firefight, so having ten rounds is moot, IMHO.

alukban

Bearcat
I like very compact form factor, the peep sights, the OPTION of magazine capacities, muzzle mounted toys and ability to mount most any optic.

m657

Buckeye
Is there any big 'better because' or 'didn't perform as expected' stories here?

Appreciate the comments....

re: 'fire fight'. Years ago a buddy gave me his large collection of pre-internet survivalist newsletters.....he had paid considerable at the time to subscribe over a period of years.

It was all fascinating and fed my inner-survivalist/conspiracy fantasies. One of the last articles I read was a guy exploring in exquisite detail more than I had ever thought, about 'survival shotguns' and 'how much ammo do you need'.....I was pretty much shocked when he said 'only about 2 cases.....you will either prevail in short order or be killed for whatever supplies your attackers think you have....and in either case you won't need more'.

So....'fire fight' with 308s brings a harsh and more realistic perspective on the whole question. Thanks for bringing that up.

I am tremendously encouraged by the remarks on the RSI .....there's something that is so 'just right' about this model....

For what it is worth, I own the 16 1/2" barreled/ original iteration and am not thrilled with the accuracy where as my RSI is a 1" MOA rifle at the same distance of 100 yards.

I would like to try the new longer barreled version of the scout to see if the extra barrel length makes a difference.

Good luck.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
^^
My experience is the exact opposite. Accuracy with the RSI is middle of the road, accuracy with the GSR is outstanding. I forget the Win 748 load but using Hdy 168 AMax I get well under 1" @ 100 yds always. Three shot groups are usually one rough hole, I usually blow it a bit on 4 and/or 5.

m657

Buckeye
This is only the second one I've had my hands on since they came out! Unsure which length this one is.

Might be able to come up with a swap.

white01ss

Bearcat
I picked mine up used from a friend, and I am so glad I did. I don't think you can go wrong with this rifle imo.