Ruger SBH 10.5 inch tapered barrel question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aspenband

Bearcat
Ok, so I took my Ruger Super Blackhawk took a local gunsmith to get the barrel cut and crowned as well as get the grip frame re-blued. To my surprise he refused to do the work I was requesting stating that I had a "rare and collectable version of the SBH 10.5 inch". A lot of internet searching on my part and I have been able to confirm that I am in possession of a 1980 built Tapered Barrel 10.5 SBH, it has the shorter 4" ejector rod and soldered on pinned front sight. However, I can find no other information.

So on to my questions. Is this really collectable? I have never heard of any 10.5 inch SBH being collectable. How rare are these versions? How many made? What years were they produced? If it is "rare and collectable" how much is something like this worth? Mine would only be in fair shape as the pachmayr grips my father had on it wore the bluing considerably on the grip frame but there is no rust or pitting. The rest of the firearm has 85-90 of its high luster bluing intact again with no rust or pitting. Either way I guess the barrel cut and crown is out but is re-bluing a possibility without ruining any collector value or do I just leave it alone all together?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Yes, your gun is a bit desirable. While New Model collecting doesn't garner as much attention as Old Model collecting, there are many who do appreciate them.
I'd not modify it in any way, (cutting or rebluing,) as any mods from original detract from value.
Care for it, shoot it, and if you must have a chopped one, you can always sell that one & buy a shorter one.

aspenband

Bearcat
Thanks for the info ruger guru. I really don't want to sell the one I have because it was my fathers and I inherited it 8 years ago when he passed. I was hoping to cut crown and re-blue only because I find it cumbersome to carry in the field. Because of this it see's very little use, in fact I have only shot about 50 rounds thru it in 8 years and they have all been at the range.

I am still curious how many years ones like this were produced?
How many of them were made?
How much are they worth, for insurance purposes? As well as for resale if I ever do choose to sell?

I guess also I should have introduced myself a little as I am new to the forum. I am a former Marine and retired LEO in the state of Arizona. I have hunted and been a weapons enthusiast for 36 of my 47 years. I am a glock, remington, and colt certified armorer as well as a POST certified instructor in weapons. I am also a graduate of the National Tactical Officers Academy and commanded a tactical LEO team for 10 years. With this said I am very familiar with weapons and current production firearms for tactical and self-preservation uses in addition to hunting purposes but I am not familiar with collectable or desirable weapons.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll try & help as much as I can with your questions.
Your gun, a blued one, will be a model S-410N. It should have a ramped front sight, (whereas the bull barreled ones have a "hooked" front sight.)
It will have the "warning" rollmark on the side of the barrel. In the address of this should be the town of Southport. The general serial number range of these guns will be between 82-26990 to 87-65764. The lowest known S410N is 82-82753. Somewhere around serial number 85-63006, the ejector rod tip was changed from flat to pointed. The S410N up to serial number 83-55601 was packaged in a brown hinged box with or without the Ruger eagle on the top & Ruger above the eagle. By serial number 83-56676 the box was changed to the more normal yellow & black type.

As for production numbers, Ruger doesn't release such info. On older guns, that have been discontinued, by following the serials & such we have been able to somewhat learn just how many of some guns were made. But, in the case of your gun, the serials were done on all 44 mag Supers w/o any distinction of different models.
You mentioned that your gun was a 1980 model, and as such the serial number range in that year is 83-41251 to 83-90985. Your gun should be in that range.
As for collect-ability as I mentioned, not as many folks collect the New Models, vs. the Old Models. BUT, there is a fair interest in many NM guns for those who quietly chase different variations etc.
Anytime you re-blue a gun, you remove the original condition, even if worn, and that detracts from value. If the grip frame is badly worn, you CAN easily swap it out with a newer, pristine example to dress it up.
If I were to insure it for insurance purposes, I'd place a current value at $1000-$1200. Realistic values in the current open market can easily vary a lot, so if you get to the point of selling, I'd do a long search on Gunbroker for past/completed auctions of it to see what to expect.

And, as I said, "Welcome" to our Forum. We have a lot of former Marines as well as LEO's around here. We won't hold your interests in Glocks, Remington's or Colts against you. (Well, maybe a little about the Glocks!) :D :D

As a hunter myself, (longtime handgun hunter,) and the father of a LEO, best friend a retired ICE agent, and many friends in LEO, I know a bit where you come from. If I can offer any advice or anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I've spent a good part of my adulthood enjoying Rugers, especially the SA models.

aspenband

Bearcat
Thanks again Ruger Guru, that is the detail I desired. First off let me apologized for the Glock thing…LOL I did carry a Glock 23 and 27 on duty and still have both. It was my departments chosen weapon so as an armorer for them I was required to be armorer ceritified by Glock. I sold my colt M4 the day I retired to another Officer and do not regret that decision at all I was never a fan of AR platforms. I will add though I have always liked Rugers and also own a tricked out 10/22 and a mini 14, love them both. But back to the subject at hand.
Mine is serial number 83-61xxx, has the ramped front sight, has the warning and is stamped from the town of Southport. I do not have the original box so I don't know about that part but it appears the gun is in fact a 1980 S-410N tapered barrel 10.5 SBH. Which makes it that much more unique and a conversation piece at least. It has always been fun to pull out at the range or to show to friends and watch their reactions to it.
I was hoping, before this info came to light, to make it more carry friendly so it would see a little more use, but oh well. I'll put it back in the safe, take it out to the range occasionally and watch those reactions of other people. In the mean time I will start looking for a shorter barrel version so I have one I can carry a little better when out fishing, camping, hiking or hunting.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have a 10.5 blued SBH with the tapered barrel and the shorter ERH. Mine has a standard front sight common to the blued models that is one piece and doesn't have a pin holding the front blade in place. Maybe someone has already altered your gun by adding a pinned sight? Can you post a picture of your front sight?

toroflow

Single-Sixer
This post reminded me that somewhere in the dark recesses of my safe resides a NIB SS 10.5" tapered barrel, purchased new by me in 1983. I just recently bought a used bull barreled SS 10.5" to shoot, as I cannot bring myself to "break the cherry" on the tapered barreled one! ;)

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
84-01751 with Lett stag grips.

Bill

orig.jpg

I have one in 98-99% shape. Has an 84 prefix. I bought it off this forum about 8 or so years ago. It's so nice I haven't even shot it yet. I might get around to it one of these days.
Tomcatt