Ruger Ranch 5.56 that takes AR15 mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
Shooter

I have the original rotary mag version that shoots 5.56 1 inch at 100 yards. A great handy little rifle. Since mine shoots to my liking I have decided to keep it rather than go to the ar magazine version. But I am curious as well how people like them. Also curious if the AR mags would pose a problem shooting off the bench due to their length.

Ron

welder

Buckeye
I would like some feedback myself. I like the concept and tried the Mossberg in .556 but found it not to my liking after it exhibited feeding problems and my sample would not seat Magpul mags. I'm hoping Ruger has a good design that will reliably feed from Magpul or other quality mags and if so I'll be an owner.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I don't know if any of those have been shipped yet. It seems nobody has any in stock. If shooting from a bench is in the works, use a 10 round magazine, which is what I believe they will ship with anyway. Bob!! 8)

JSutter

Bearcat
The twenty round military mags I already have should do fine for me. My rotary mag 5.56 RAR is handy little 22 bolt, and I plan to keep it. This new version will fit right in the safe, makes simply more sense (where AR mags remain legal).

williamc

Single-Sixer
How does the bolt work? I know the Mossberg has a funky hinged bolt to be able to feed from double-stack AR mags. Ruger is saying "one piece" bolt in their literature.

I've been scouring the internet for more details, but so far the pickings are pretty thin.

William

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Looks like there's also a Ruger American Predator that also takes AR mags (model 26944).

Ted

gunfan2

Bearcat
I have one of the new Ruger RR that take the AR 15 mag. Its a nice little design, that took a lot of machine work on the bolt to make it work, but it does work fine. The heavier bullets have to be seated a little deeper than I like due to the Pmag included. But that being said, after a few rounds have been ran through the gun it seems to function a little smoother. Great set up though, especially for those of us who have several ARs.

gs50401

Bearcat
I got one it works great. I shot it in 20 degree weather today. I also have a 7.62x39. These things are like candy.

After the great rim fire drought I looked for alternatives and now rim fires seem a little boring.
Cheap center fire ammo is a blast.