Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I picked one up last night. Put a 4x12AO Bushnell on it just to see what works.

At the range today, the 50 yard range was not available, so I did all my shooting from the 100 yard range. Bench resting this rifle is difficult, as the pistol grip will not allow use in my mechanical rest. And I was not able to use a bi-pod, as there is no provision for attaching one without buying after-market adapters, which I now have on order.

Monotonous accuracy :mrgreen: . Some groups were at 1", and some opened up to 2". Originally, CCI Green Tag was the best, then later, the cheap CCI high velocity hollow points seemed to shoot as well. This rifle has some real potential.

I did have a little problem. The rifle was supplied with a 15 round magazine. It would bind up, every 2 or 3 shots. I steel-brushed the lips, and lubed it, but it made no difference. When I got home I disassembled the magazine, but really found no obvious problem. Cleaned it up and lubed it again. I'll try it next time I'm out.

Also, since the 15 round magazine was a problem, I tried a brand new 10 round magazine. For whatever reason, this new magazine was oversized and would not fit in the mag well. I forced it in once, but it was quite a chore removing it.

Yep, I know it's mass produced, and I know I'm scolded that I should be tolerant of mass produced quality control, or lack of it, and I know I'll figure it all out, but I sure get tired of having to make excuses for Ruger.

Yep, I was there and shot this rifle. The magazine issue was annoying for sure. This rifle does have potential and I'm sure Ruger will take care of the issues. It is becoming a recurring theme regarding the initial quality of Ruger products.

Dave

And just that fast, I received the M-Lok adapter in the mail today, and got the bi-pod installed. This is the first time I've used the M-Lok fasteners. They were a little bit tricky, as the threaded locker on the back side would turn while I tried to tighten the screw. Working somewhat blindly, I had to stick a tiny little screwdriver behind the handguard to keep the nut in place while I tightened it. It's done and okay now.

And the bi-pod will make this rifle the cats meow shooting off a bench. 8)

WAYNO, I have heard some several people about the difficulties with magazine that comes with the rifle (BX-15). Most told me they just went to the 10 or 25 round mags. I just tried 2 different 10 rnd mags, an old Ram-Line 25 rnd mag and a new BX-25 mag and they all seated and came out fine. I have not tried using them to see how they function yet. I will report on that as soon as I can.

Yes M-LOK stuff is a bit harder to work with than Key-Mod but it supposed to be more secure. For my Precision Rimfire, I just attached a M-LOK Picatinny rail to the front underside of the forearm as my UTG bipod is a quick detach that mounts to a rail. Hoping that Monday will have good weather here and I'll at least get it and the 10/22 I custom built out to see how they perform. I laser boresighted them but need to do the final zero on paper.

larryofcc

Bearcat
So far so good. 50 yards out of the box with Weaver 3X9 AO and Aguila ammo. Benched of course. Big Larry

standard.jpg

Okay. Here's some accuracy updates. I replaced the pistol grip with another that allows use with a mechanical rest.

These are 10-shot groups!

The best accuracy was with Eley Club. For size reference I've covered each group with domestic currency. 8) Unfortunately, there was one very unexplained flier in this group that turned an otherwise 1/2" group into a 7/8" group.

Also acceptable was Wolf Match.

And less than stellar was two groups shot with CCI Mini Mags. Mini Mags do not live up to their legacy.