Ruger No.1's at local Cabelas

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stopped in and was looking at the fine gun room selection and I spot rows of No.1's.

Glendale, AZ
They have a sign in front of the rifles.
Sign: Factory second rifles
Available in these calibers:
.220 Swift
.25-06
7mm-08
30-06
7mm Rem Mad

Store rep said it was due to the wood fit was not to standard.

The wood on the one I looked at was only average. It was not flush with the receiver. Raised slightly higher than receiver. I can live with this. I have always wanted an "A" model in 308. It comes in the box with everything complete and they are listed as used on the tag but they are factory new. $999
I put an "A" model in 308 on layaway. SN 134-414XX 2015 production date.

Bill

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Any RSI versions? I'll need to check with my local Cabelas to see if they have any of these. Do you suppose Ruger still using up the objectionable wood? That was an explanation I heard regarding the recent 1A 7.62x39 run.

I will have to do some research about the wood fit issue. I have heard that recent wood is only average. While I do prefer nice wood in a No.1, I can live with the wood on this rifle. I consider the 308 A model to be the most desirable configuration. An RSI would be hard to pass on but I feel like I have stumbled into a great rifle. I do not know when 308's were offered in an A model but it seems like it has been awhile. Now I have 60 days to figure out how to pay for it.

Bill

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I didn't know Cabelas had layaway, might just have to do that myself if I see something interesting tomorrow, thanks for the heads-up.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Figures, I gave away my $20 of $100 on 24hour Campfire couple days ago. How did you do on your trade? Heard Cabelas is pennies on the dollar for trade offers. I'm going to my local store in the morning to see what they got.

Adobe Wells

Bearcat
The Cabelas in Lehi, Utah has about 8 of them as well. I took a hard look at the 220 Swift. I did not look closely at the fit of the wood but otherwise I would have no problem with the appearance of the wood.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
So from your pics, no actual indication of a factory second, is there something I'm missing or not shown?

chet15

Hawkeye
A factory "second" could be determined just from the Ruger employee not seeing something that looks right. Could be wood fill in the wood stock that is nearly impossible to see, or thicker/thinner tolerances on the wood etc. etc.
Buckeye Bill...be sure to send me a PM of the full serial number of your Number 1 so I can document that in the "Ruger Reference".
You do know how rare of a gun that is don't you??? Its been said that the 1B in .308 that Ruger cataloged a few years ago was even rarer than the 1B in non-prefix production.
Now you've got a 1A...and that one wasn't cataloged recently!!! In the non-prefix variation, the 1A 308 it is still a scarce gun, but remember.....308 didn't exist at all in the prefix guns until Ruger came out with that cataloged batch of 1B's.
Chet15

When I stopped in the gun room in the back of the store, I was drawn to the sign and the two rows of number 1's. I started looking at the rifles and I could see that they had an "A" model in 308 on display. When I got a rep's attention, he explained that they had two "A" model's in 308 and gave me my pick of wood. He brought out the second one that was boxed and sealed with tape from the factory. He opened it up and it looks fine so I took it. I like it when a gun has not been handled by the public. So, as of Thursday afternoon, there was a second "A" model in 308 on display at that store.

The guy I spoke with did not know why the complete batch of guns was considered "factory seconds". He said that they guessed it was a wood issue but they had nothing to indicate the specific reason. He did say that they received a bunch of guns but only two with 308 A's.

Bill

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Finally got to local Cabelas today in Allen Texas, was looking to get this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/gun-library/allen-gun-library|/pc/103792680/c/109186380/ruger-no-1-international-30-06-sprg/2224562.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fallen-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1105211%2B4294712942%2FNe-4294712942%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Of course it was gone, they had several other #1 versions, a few 1As, a B or two, and single #1RSI in 270. Nothing I was interested in, wanted the 30-06 RSI. No signage about these being factory 2nds, however they were out in the racks where they offer used guns.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
As the #1RSI I was wanting still shows available on the local store web page, I called Cabelas Allen TX this afternoon to inquire, all calls unanswered until > 8pm tonight. Guy that finally answered was sure these were from an estate sale with a lot of 'weird European' chamberings. What a joke, does anybody at these stores know anything? And he said he had no access to the Gun Library inventory, where the RSI I'm interested in resides. :x