Ruger No.1 Madness

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
You got a 1V in 308 or 300win mag!????

RugerHound said:
rowdy1972 said:
You dont have the sickness yet.....just a slight fever!!!
sorry 2nd one is sideways

DSCF5330.jpg

DSCF5005.jpg

This just serves to show you how bad this affliction can get!! :)

I was inspired from the picture of all those No.1's so I pulled mine out and lined them up for a picture. No particular order, that is another sickness altogether. :p

photo2.jpg

No.1 A 204 Ruger
No.1 A 6.5x55 swed
No.1 A 7x57
No.1 A 30-06
No.1 B 223
No.1 B 308
No.1 RSI 7x57
No.1 H 405 Win
No.1 V 6mm Rem

silo33

Bearcat
Bill,

1A .243
1A .30-06

Since I can see by reading this thread that there does not appear to be a cure, I decided to be proactive and ordered a 2nd gun safe this morning.

We don't normally go on a spending spree like this but there are some special circumstances that have made it possible.

1. They were priced well and in excellent condition.

2. Thursday is our 15th anniversary.

3. Most importantly, the day before Thanksgiving last year the Dr. told us that her lung cancer had progressed to stage 4. She was given 12 months. Thanks our Lord's Grace a new drug became available and after several months the tests can find no trace of cancer. We have been blessed with a year where we were able to travel with and enjoy our children's school activities. It looks like we will be able to have many more years just like this.

Our children are starting to get ideas of the firearms they would like to collect. Shooting and collecting has grown into a family activity that was put on hold for awhile. Now we can take up this hobby again.

silo33 said:
Bill,

1A .243
1A .30-06

Since I can see by reading this thread that there does not appear to be a cure, I decided to be proactive and ordered a 2nd gun safe this morning.

We don't normally go on a spending spree like this but there are some special circumstances that have made it possible.

1. They were priced well and in excellent condition.

2. Thursday is our 15th anniversary.

3. Most importantly, the day before Thanksgiving last year the Dr. told us that her lung cancer had progressed to stage 4. She was given 12 months. Thanks our Lord's Grace a new drug became available and after several months the tests can find no trace of cancer. We have been blessed with a year where we were able to travel with and enjoy our children's school activities. It looks like we will be able to have many more years just like this.

Our children are starting to get ideas of the firearms they would like to collect. Shooting and collecting has grown into a family activity that was put on hold for awhile. Now we can take up this hobby again.

Extremely happy for the cancer remission! :D I know how wonderful a good outcome can be from personal experience. I think you should celebrate with a new gun! :wink: Dave

silo33,

What wonderful news you have shared about your wife's remission. It is great to hear a positive story like yours. In day to day life we tend to forget how lucky we are to simply have our health.

Ok, I was just wondering, which rifle did you buy first? I bet you selected the classic 30-06 and went back for the 243. Am I right?

My A model in 06 shoots great. I can get an inch or so at 100 all day long with factory ammunition.

I do not have a 243 No.1 yet....

Bill

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
Bill, I see you are off to a good start. You also need a .303 British, a 9.3x74R, one of those 45-70s with the C wt barrel............

Colonist

Bearcat
I have two #1s I bought new in the early 70s. 1 in 25-06 and the other in 30-06. Just before deer season opens, I hang out by the rifle range and when a shooter is through shooting his '06 and walks away from his hulls, I harvest them. By adding a neck resizer, I can reload for both calibers inexpensively.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I just came across a 1B stainless and grey laminate in .308 in near new, unfired condition. No box sadly but it followed me home for $750.

I keep missing the 1A 7x57 I want. Ohhhh well... Another day.

If there is a run on the tactical side of the gun market in the days and weeks to come, I am considering parting with one of my AR's to finance another No.1. :idea:

Prices on those bad black rifles might go way up. :lol:

Might be able to select another No.1. But what model and what caliber?

I suspect the No.1's will not be targeted by current events.

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
I have had two of mine to the range in the last week. The 7x57 RSI is a neat little rifle, shoots well, etc, etc. The 9.3x74R is one of the most fun rifles I have ever owned. Amazingly accurate, doesn't kick as bad as a 30-06, and the weird/ unusual/ what-in-heck-is-THAT factor is off the chart. And when you shuck that big long case out of the chamber, it makes a sound reminiscent of a 105 howitzer..... :)

1andone

Bearcat
Four here. 204 V, 25-06 V, 270Wby B and my favorite, a 280 Rem B.

Those collection pics make me wanna puke, from envy!

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I actually sold one of these many many many years ago. A very young and stupid young man who needed money to buy a cool black rifle.
Wish I would have kept it.

Buckeye Bill said:
Willtallica,

It is on my Mad Wish list also. I just think it would be an interesting combination. I have seen CHP marked and non marked guns for sale on GB and GA and they seem to demand a premium. I have a friend that has one currently. He is the second owner and it is like new. He has offered to sell it to me but the price is just not in my range. I will pay top dollar for a No.1 that I really want but $1200 is more than I would pay for a used 357 No.1.

I have not heard much about how they shoot. A overwhelming range report might change my mind. It is cool to learn more about all of the different No.1's that are out there.