Ruger MKIII chip in bolt face, anyone seen this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
This gun has thousands of rounds through it. I was cleaning it and noticed the bolt under the extractor did not look right. Took it apart and there's a chip in the bolt. Anyone seen this happen before?
DSCF1367.jpg

If it functions ok, I wouldn't worry about it. Or if the chip does affect function or you just don't like it, send it back to Ruger. I'm sure they will take care of it for you.

cgb

Bearcat
I found part of the chip hammered into the breech when I cleaned it. Left a little dent. Does not seem like it would affect function though. I'm trying to get Ruger to send me a bolt, but I doubt they will. My local FedEx will only overnight handguns, and they want $80 to ship it. They have these for $250 at my local gun store. I'll buy another one and use this for parts before I pay $80 to ship it for repair.

rugerpointed.jpg

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Why dont you call ruger and have them issue you a call tag to ship it at their expense.

ozzie

Bearcat
Why don't you just do as TiteGroups suggests or, just buy a new bolt. From the picture it looks like a metallurgical problem, if you don't do anything about it, it may, in the future, affect extraction because of the missing metal right underneath the extractor claw. The dent in the breach face should not be too much of a problem.

If Ruger recognize it as a metallurgical problem they will, I am sure, see you right but it might take longer. Good luck!

If it were just the bolt, I would pack it up and send it to Ruger. I have no doubt they will replace it. However, I don't like the looks of the wear on the right side of your breach. Something's not right. It looks like more that just damage from the loose metal chip. I think you should consider sending the entire gun back.

$80 sounds pretty steep. Can you find a LGS or 'Smith that can send it in for you? Should be cheaper.

SocialD

Bearcat
Sorry, reloading .22lr was a bad attempt at a joke.

cgb, keep us informed when you hear back from Ruger once they get it.

cgb

Bearcat
I got the label almost immediatly and sent it off. I will update when I get it back. Lady who answered the phone at Ruger was very nice.

cgb

Bearcat
2 1/2 weeks and it's back. Ruger paid shipping both ways, and their customer service was polite and friendly. They replaced the bolt, and it's working fine now. Not bad, not bad at all.

eveled

Hawkeye
SocialD said:
Sorry, reloading .22lr was a bad attempt at a joke.

cgb, keep us informed when you hear back from Ruger once they get it.

It made me laugh! I'm glad Ruger took care of that gun. Smart move sending it back.

cgb

Bearcat
ozzie said:
Hi cgb, what about the bruised breech face where the broken bit brinelled into it? :D

They just replaced the bolt. The gun works fine now so I'm not going to sweat it. If for some reason the breech face breaks apart, I will send it back.