Ruger Mk II 10" - some questions for collectors...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
I've had this Ruger Mk II with a 10" barrel for some time - I bought it in its original box because I never saw another like it, and I thought it was cool.

However, now that I think about it, I have some questions that some of you may be able to answer:

1. Exactly how rare is this variation? Numbers made?

2. Is the red ramp front sight standard equipment, or is it an aftermarket part/custom alteration?

Thanks to all in advance for the information you may be able to provide!

Best,
John

MARKII-10.jpg

Nice, gun, and they are very accurate,as to scarcity,value ,we have had a bunch of them over the years, and they always sold for a few dollars more,,,the front sight is NOT "factory" nor even an original for that model, looks like a screw on front sight that someone put in a red ramp insert, we used to do that with the old 'Lee's Red Ramp' kits but he died and now you gotta use two part epoxy and mix in some 'color tint..........

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
Busterswoodshop said:
I have two of these that I purchased new.
Neither one has that front sight.

What front sight was standard? Did it differ in any respect from the one used on the 5.5" bull barrel models?

Thanks,
John

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
PALADIN85020 said:
Busterswoodshop said:

What front sight was standard? Did it differ in any respect from the one used on the 5.5" bull barrel models?

Thanks,
John

My sights are just black. It could be the picture , but the sights on the ones I have don't look to be as tall as yours.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
PALADIN85020 said:
Busterswoodshop said:

Thanks,
John

The front sights on the MK & KMK 10-inch pistols were indeed different, and more of a "model specific" front sight. The barrels used on these models is a heavy target taper, so the front sight is higher than the 5½ inch barrel pistols. The blade thickness was also thinner and so was the adjustable rear sight blade notch. See the pictures provided. The blued version in the picture has a ramped base with an ivory bead sight blade used for silhouette shooting, the stainless steel pistol has the factory sight.

wUTk2ohm.jpg

The front sight in your picture appears to be the early steel version as used on the Ruger Single Six revolvers in the past.

The front sight on your gun probably came from a New Model "Super Single-Six."

I've seen others do this, to get rid of the "holster ripper" undercut front sight.

The curve on the underside of the front sight isn't a perfect match for the MK II barrel contour, but it's not bad. It can also be modified with some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

The bottom of the sight could be blackened back up with some "aluminum black" or some cold blue. (Don't remember, but guessing sight is aluminum.)

If you want to go back to original, the front sight part number is A03601. Call Ruger. They may have some still available. I believe the same sight was used on the MK8 and P8GC as well.