Ruger Mini Thirty Tactical?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnqpublic

Bearcat
Greetings,

This is my first post here. I have lurked for a while and finally signed onto the site.

I looked at and compared the Ruger GSR to the Mini Thirty Tactical and decided to go with the Tac-30...but no one has them and I have been told by a Ruger rep they are not sure when they are going back into production.

From what I have read/seen this is a very good spot to find "Ruger-oriented" answers. Does anyone here know when the next batch of Tac-30s will start?

Thanks,
John

psuminer

Bearcat
I just recently added my name to the wish-list at Ruger but have not yet heard when the next production run will be made for the Mini-30 Tactical. From what I'm told, they are currently producing the Mini-30 w/ the wooden stock and stainless barrel. I don't understand why a company would continue to produce a product with inferior quality when the next generation exists.

I will post back as soon as i get a confirmation on a production date.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Inferior quality? I'm a little lost as to that description. Mini 30s are quite reliable firearms, mine didn't like steel cased ammo or non factory magazines but that isn't Ruger's fault.

If you're thinking they are building on the old tooling, they aren't, they have had the new tooling for a few years now and all guns are made on that tooling.

psuminer

Bearcat
My apologies on such a generic comment. It was not my intention to offend and now that I read back what I wrote I can see how that might be construed. I was referring to reference after reference after reference describing accuracy issues due to the long, skinny barrels which they have apparently corrected with the new "Tactical" models.

My comment was not founded in actual experience but in reflection upon all of the research I have been doing as of late on the Ruger Mini platforms. And for that, I was wrong in posting such a generic opinion. From what I have read however, the only model of the Mini platforms (all calibers) that has addressed the barrel heat-accuracy limitations is the Tactical model. They have done this with a shorter, tapered barrel. I am unaware of any other Mini model doing this.

Again I apologize if my research was incomplete/inaccurate when I made my comment earlier. I am new here to this Forum and the last thing I want to do is generate animosity on one of my earlier posts. If there is another model of the Mini-30 that has addressed the thin barrel issue and improved upon the rifle's accuracy (like the Tactical) I would be most interested in learning about it. Thanks so much.

johnqpublic

Bearcat
psuminer,

All the new 580 series Rugers have thicker barrels to help improve accuracy...and from what I have read and seen the Tac-30 has an even thicker barrel at the end.

I kinda wish they would offer the Tac-30 with a woodstock...goes with the whole Garand-style and I like blued steel/wood combo better than plastic.

psuminer

Bearcat
No arguements here on the wood stock. One of the reasons I was drawn to the Mini-30 over an AK was the resemblance to the M1/M-14.

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Got me a TAC 30 about a year ago, didn't have it a week when I took the Mattel stock off and replaced it with a nice laminate (same color as the Ruger Hawkeye stainless). Had the stock, mag well reinforcement, screw and 20 round mag on hand before it arrived. Scoped it and took it too the range with some home brewed loads. Was surprised at the <1" clover sized groups it gave me time after time. No hang ups whatsoever after 150 rounds. I say go for it, you'll be surprised as well. Will post some pics....

kwg020

Bearcat
I have yet to hear about good magazines for the 7.62x39 in the AR platform. For an American made rifle in 7.62x39 it appears the Mini is the way to go. Since Ruger has to share the Mini 30 with the rest of the free world, they will always be on somebody's waiting list. kwg

chet15

Hawkeye
johnqpublic said:
psuminer,

All the new 580 series Rugers have thicker barrels to help improve accuracy...and from what I have read and seen the Tac-30 has an even thicker barrel at the end.

I kinda wish they would offer the Tac-30 with a woodstock...goes with the whole Garand-style and I like blued steel/wood combo better than plastic.

All of the 580- series Minis do not have the new thicker barrel. This was changed from pencil barrel to heavier "stepped" version between 580-47117 and 580-500xx.
For the Mini-30 it was changed between 581-06390 and 581-08562.
The whole change probably came about as a result of Ruger introducing the 6.8 round.
Chet15

johnqpublic

Bearcat
I was talking about all the new Minis rolling off the assembly lines right now. Don't all new Minis have heavier barrels (no more pencils)?
The Tac30 barrel is even thicker with .782" outside diameter from gas block to end of bbl.

primuspilum762

Bearcat
kwg020 said:
I have yet to hear about good magazines for the 7.62x39 in the AR platform. For an American made rifle in 7.62x39 it appears the Mini is the way to go. Since Ruger has to share the Mini 30 with the rest of the free world, they will always be on somebody's waiting list. kwg

Ruger is selling 20 round mags for the Mini-30 now.

johnqpublic

Bearcat
Does anyone know if Ruger plans to offer polymer mags for the Mini-30? I like the ones for the Gunsite Scout and would like some for a Mini.

batmann

Single-Sixer
I too am in the market for a Mini-30 and the only negative I have heard is it will not reliabily shoot the cheap Russian ammo because of the hard primmers. Since this is the most common and about the cheapest, is there a kit or mod one can do to the Mini 30 to help?

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
batmann said:
I too am in the market for a Mini-30 and the only negative I have heard is it will not reliabily shoot the cheap Russian ammo because of the hard primmers. Since this is the most common and about the cheapest, is there a kit or mod one can do to the Mini 30 to help?

Heavier hammer spring?

Buster

Bearcat
My Mini has shot plenty of Russian and Chinese ammo, as well as USA mfg'd ammo, without a hiccup yet.

It also is plenty accurate, as these 50 yard iron sight groups attest. Shot with Wolf 124 grn.

IMG_3444.jpg
IMG_3445.jpg