Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

acman

Bearcat
I found a new Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle at a walmart for just over $650 I was thinking about getting it. Is this a good value. I have heard very good reviews on it but was wondering if there are any problems. I have always had good luck with Ruger and I will be lucky if my father does not buy it first, if he does I will never hear the end of it and never get to shoot it. Thanks.

gunman42782

Hunter
Unless you want benchrest type accuracy, you will not be disappointed. I don't remember ever not having a Mini 14, or a 10/22!

bwraven

Bearcat
That is a fair price. They can be difficult to find. I recently bought another Ranch Rifle, and it took my local gunstore about a month to find one for me. (I paid $750 for mine.)

DGW1949

Hunter
$650 is a good price.
If you've got a need for it, buy it.
I gave $699 for mine a few months ago...plus the transfer.

Problems I had with mine:
The front sight was obviously canted to one side. Ruger fixed that on their dime...and...fitted a spare firing pin while they had it for no charge.
The bedding on mine was incredably sloppy. I fixed that myself.
The gas block was catty-whompus, even after the return trip to Ruger. I fixed that myself too.
The rear sight base wouldn't stay put and I didn't care for it's mickey-mouse adjustment system. I solved both problems by installing an after market "Tech Sight".....which added an additional $60 to what I've got in the gun. That was done, and the trigger issues addressed, as soon as I got it back from Ruger.

Getting to the bottom line:
IMNSHO, Ruger has still not offered an "out of the box" Mini which is what I would call a "serious rifle". The newer ones are a lot closer than the older ones, but still no cigar. Some of the problems with mine were due to a lack of craftsmanship but some are design issues, pure and simple. Either way though, I would think that by now, Ruger could do better.
On the other hand, in spite of the extra work, time, and money it took to get it shaped-up, I like mine a lot. And it'll shoot. In fact, regardless of what you might hear from the "just buy an AR cowd", it will now outshoot my Son's Bushmaster when both are using the same lot of M193 Lake City ammo.

Hope this helped with your decision.

DGW

Jmurph

Bearcat
Bought one last sunday,sent it back to ruger today. It had misdeed issues and couldn't get a satisfactory group . Shot about a 2-3 inch group at 50 and 4-6 inch group at 100 . Tried several different kinds of ammo with no luck

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I bought a new stainless ranch rifle about 5 years ago. I had the trigger worked on and then the only kind of ammo I ever shot in it - Hornady 55-grain v-maxes - consistently shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards. It's a perfect .223 carbine.

The mini-14 doesn't earn its keep at the bench. It earns its keep slung over a guy's shoulder on long hikes, or run-and-gun coyote hunting, or being beat around in a truck for years. They're great rifles.

SR

Jim Puke

Hunter
south_ridge said:
The mini-14 doesn't earn its keep at the bench. It earns its keep slung over a guy's shoulder on long hikes, or run-and-gun coyote hunting, or being beat around in a truck for years. They're great rifles.

SR
Bingo!

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
I have an older mini circa 1985 and a baseball bat is more accurate. I'm tired of fooling around and as soon as I can find a buyer ( yes I'll be honest with him or her ) I'll be investing in a quality AR-15. As far as I'm concerned mini-14's are a joke.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Jim,

I'm glad you liked my response. I have a bit of a pet peeve with some folks who buy a gun (or any other tool) that is designed for one purpose, and then complain when it doesn't work for a completely different purpose. I like my mini-14, but I understand it's limitations. The same goes for the No. 1, the 10/22, and all of my non-Ruger guns.

Maybe I just got a good mini-14, I don't know. And I understand there have been some that were woefully inaccurate (including some of those referenced on this thread). But most of them I've heard or read about since they moved to the 580 series have been pretty good.

I still remember the first coyote I killed with my mini-14. I wasn't even coyote hunting, I was just out for a stroll. I spotted it jogging across a field. I slipped around the edge of a pond bank through some cedars (made easier by the short overall length and light weight of the rifle), took a seated position, and dropped it at about 100 yards.

SR

Jim Puke

Hunter
south_ridge said:
Jim,

I'm glad you liked my response. I have a bit of a pet peeve with some folks who buy a gun (or any other tool) that is designed for one purpose, and then complain when it doesn't work for a completely different purpose. I like my mini-14, but I understand it's limitations. The same goes for the No. 1, the 10/22, and all of my non-Ruger guns.

Maybe I just got a good mini-14, I don't know. And I understand there have been some that were woefully inaccurate (including some of those referenced on this thread). But most of them I've heard or read about since they moved to the 580 series have been pretty good.

I still remember the first coyote I killed with my mini-14. I wasn't even coyote hunting, I was just out for a stroll. I spotted it jogging across a field. I slipped around the edge of a pond bank through some cedars (made easier by the short overall length and light weight of the rifle), took a seated position, and dropped it at about 100 yards.

SR

Yeah, I kind of understand what you are saying.

I have a stainless 185 series that was made in 1989. I have had this rifle 25yrs and it has served well as a truck gun and a general use carbine. It is not AR accurate, but it will hit a skeet on the 100yd berm with everyone shot (with the crude factory irons)...with any ammo that I have ever run through it. A coyote at 125yds is in very dangerous territory. It is easier to carry on a sling than my AR's, it is lighter, and it is quieter as when hunting I use the 5rd mag and there is zero rattle by bumping the mag. It is a great home defense carbine that I will risk my life to it's reliability and firepower without a second thought. It is not perfect, but for what I use it for...it is very close.

When I head out to trudge around in the woods, I reach into the safe for a sidearm and the mini...not one of the AR's.

welder

Buckeye
Jim Luke said:
south_ridge said:

SR
Bingo!

This.
Plus there is not a better truck gun as far as I can tell. Stone cold reliable to boot. I have both, (AR's) and The trusty Mini. I enjoy the Ruger, take it out often and trust my home to it's ability to deliver.

DDDWho

Bearcat
I paid $660 for mine at Wally 2 years ago. I've seen them there since for more, I don't remember exactly perhaps $20 - 30 more. I don't believe you'll be able to beat that price ever again.

Major T

Blackhawk
My 580 series is about three years old. I stuck a new Redfield 3-9 on top and so equipped it does just over an inch with factory Remington 55 grain soft points. I did the trigger work myself, and got it almost too light. No assembly issues were noted with mine. It's intended purpose was as a life in the ranch truck/Kawasaki Mule.
Yes, a good AR is more accurate, I just prefer the conventional grip and mostly use 5 round magazines, with a 20 handy for a herd of hogs. Besides, anything under two inches is very well minute of pig or coyote. We have just about depleted the prairie dogs anyway.

Jack

gatling

Blackhawk
I've posted this photo before. I've owned a few of these rifles and they'll shoot better than I can offhand, and off a bench they are good enough. The rear sight is poorly designed (I ran out of elevation adjustment), so I replaced it with the Techsite (a first rate piece of gear). I've put thousands of rounds through mine and it is absolutely reliable, even when filthy. If the brass is dirty, it can sometimes fail to feed, but the rifle itself seems unaffected by how many rounds I put through it before I clean it. I shoot reloads exclusively (4198 or 748) with 55 gr FMJ bullets these days.

Mini14AccuracyLoad.jpg

I carried an M-16 40 years ago, and you couldn't give me one of those things unless I had somebody standing by to buy it from me. I understand all the arguments about its accuracy and all that, but I just won't have one.

welder

Buckeye
I've seen your rifle before and it really looks good. I have not replaced my sights but agree Ruger could have done a little better with them, but an easy fix for those so inclined. I am in the market for another Mini and hopefully will add another one before the month is up.

K-MO

Bearcat
Interestingly, even this Mini-14 Factory Tactical is stamped "Ranch Rifle" on the receiver. The Mini's are an outstanding rifle series, particularly the latter 580-series and newer... ;)

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I just got a Mini 14 Stainless Ranch and it's shooting better right out of the box using Tula ammo from Walmart than the 77/357 rifle I had. So far I've shot 20rds through it. Just got it today and had to take it out after work.