Ruger Mark III....won't fire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
I'm very happy to hear you've got it all back together and working. Now it is time for you and your friend to go out and shoot that pistol. I recommend a nice large "Bulk Pack" and some quality shooting time.

R,
Bullseye

ClearDark

Bearcat
Bullseye57 said:
I'm very happy to hear you've got it all back together and working. Now it is time for you and your friend to go out and shoot that pistol. I recommend a nice large "Bulk Pack" and some quality shooting time.

R,
Bullseye

Yes, I could not agree more. I believe I have an unopened 550 round value pack in the ammo can. :)

Thanks again, I am definitely in your debt. And thanks to everyone else that contributed.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
As I think back, your magazine disconnector spring (long leg) was probably positioned inside the magazine well, instead of in the mainspring well. This likely made the magazines even more difficult to remove - they probably aren't so tough now. The mag should drop down about 3/8ths of an inch when the release is depressed and then will need to be pulled out manually.

Good Luck,

R,
Bullseye

ClearDark

Bearcat
Bullseye57 said:
As I think back, your magazine disconnector spring (long leg) was probably positioned inside the magazine well, instead of in the mainspring well. This likely made the magazines even more difficult to remove - they probably aren't so tough now. The mag should drop down about 3/8ths of an inch when the release is depressed and then will need to be pulled out manually.

Good Luck,

R,
Bullseye

I am sure you are exactly right. And yes, now when you hit the button they do drop down some so you can grab it and rip it out.

Look forward to delivering some good news tomorrow, all thanks to this site and your site. Again, thank you very much.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
No problem! I'm glad it all works for you. You can pay me back by helping another shooter some day in the same manner as I've assisted you. I know you were helping out a friend with his gun, so I'm confident that you'll assist other shooters in the future too! Good luck and happy shooting!

R,
Bullseye

Xsales

Buckeye
Bullseye

Good work and what a help you have been on this issue for him

Excellent job and why I also love this site due to people like you :lol:

Xsales

kelbro

Single-Sixer
ClearDark said:
Well, I couldn't wait and decided to take it apart. I noticed that as you said, the mag disconnect piece appears to be installed incorrectly. Unfortunately, the thumb safety ended up coming out and I have a tiny detent, but no spring and no idea how it goes back together :(

ETA: The spring is still inside the thumb safety recess - whew. Now gotta see about getting it all back together.

Don't feel bad. I spent half an hour looking for that spring yesterday. Swept the floor. Ran a magnet through the dustpile. Finally found it. Still in the safety :)

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Generally the detent spring will stay embedded in the thumb safety lever but that little detent ball tends to drop free. Lots of folks have lost them but I find that they like to drop down into the bottom of the frame where the old heel magazine latch/plastic spacer is located. Many times if you flip over the frame you'll have the detent ball drop out.

R,
Bullseye

rj112275

Bearcat
Glad to hear all got back together and works. I replaced the hammer bushing in my MKIII 22/45. Easy disassembly, and a booger to get back together. Finally figured out what got turned around, and shazam! everything worked great. Chalk it up to experience.

hillyea

Bearcat
I am also having a problem with the Mark 3 not firing. I am going to try the instructions by Bullseye, but is there anything new or updated to the problem solving for this?

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
What aftermarket parts are installed, if any, in your Mark III pistol? What model do you have? What was the most recent thing you did just before you noticed that your pistol would not fire consistently? Many of the things I posted to help the gentleman many years ago were specific to his pistol and may not actually apply to yours.

R,
Bullseye