Ruger Mark iii 22/45 threading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dwit22

Bearcat
Is it possible for me to thread my Ruger Mark iii target for my suppressor device? If so would you guys have a shop that you recommend?

Is it possible? yes
Is it cost effective? questionable and dependent on local considerations
I had a rifle barrel threaded a couple years back and the total cost (shipping + machine time) exceeded $150. I felt this was reasonable because the machinist was highly skilled and his lathe bed was long enough to handle the barreled action so R&R of the barrel (and associated marring) was eliminated. This isn't an issue with your pistol so that's one factor.
The next factor is the local process of buying a separate 'take off upper' (the serialized part) that is factory threaded? A couple places sell these takeoffs so if you have done some upgrades on your pistol's internals (such as accurizing or trigger mods) you can simply swap the uppers retaining your grip frame commonality. Would this entail the same amount of paperwork/restrictions as buying an entire new pistol with factory threading?
Third is cost and availability? If you're stuck in a legally restrictive area or have no desire to own a second pistol or to wrangle a bunch of extra parts, that is the deal breaker. You're pretty much stuck with having your present pistol threaded.
I wouldn't consider just changing the barrel as an option. I know some folks do this but not me.