Ruger Mark 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fla Trooper 265

Bearcat
I am looking into getting a Ruger Liberty Model Mark 1 Pistol. I would like to buy some Ruger Checkered walnut grip panels from Numrich Arms. The ones they have say for unmarked frames. Will these fit the 1976 Mark 1? Thanks Guys.

wwb

Hunter
Pull the grip panels off your pistol and see if the grip frame is stamped "A-100". If so, the current grip panels will fit..... if not, you need the older style grip panels for the "non-marked" grip frames.

street

Hunter
I don't think so. The unmarked frames are the early Standard and Mark-I frames. They ran from 1949 to somewhere around 1970 to 1971. Your "76" auto will have the A-100 frame and will be so marked under the grips. As such the grips will not fit.

easy enough to tell, without having the gun and you can SEE a picture of the grips........the hole pattern on the panels will determine what the grips are , as to what gun YOU have, simply by looking at the LOWER grip screw of the panels....the OLD ( A-54) frames the left panel grip hole at the bottom is closer to the bottom ( lower) on the left ,than on the right....the opposite for the later ( A-100 ) frame, the lower hole is over on the right panel...can tell simply by LOOKING at the grips panels and the location of these LOWER screw holes...this NEVER fails.....................the only thing to worry about later is if the MK II versus MK I , and the hold open slot for the MK IIs when used on the later MK Is....gotta "fill" this void on the left panel...... :wink:

Happy New Year

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
easy enough to tell, without having the gun and you can SEE a picture of the grips........the hole pattern on the panels will determine what the grips are , as to what gun YOU have, simply by looking at the LOWER grip screw of the panels....the OLD ( A-54) frames the left panel grip hole at the bottom is closer to the bottom ( lower) on the left ,than on the right....the opposite for the later ( A-100 ) frame, the lower hole is over on the right panel...can tell simply by LOOKING at the grips panels and the location of these LOWER screw holes...this NEVER fails.....................the only thing to worry about later is if the MK II versus MK I , and the hold open slot for the MK IIs when used on the later MK Is....gotta "fill" this void on the left panel...... :wink:

Happy New Year

And...A100 panels all have the eagle medallion in the right grip panel or serial number side of the gun. The A54 grip frame all have the medallion in the left grip.
Chet15

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Your 1976 should have a stamp that looks like this one underneath the left grip panel since it was produced after the 1972 frame change.

MKI_a100.jpg

R,
Bullseye

....with the "basic" (factory) grips,looking like this........early, MK I (standard) and MK II........

so again, even if you have custom or non medallioned grips, the clue is the bottom hole of either grip panel and their location.....this is so basic , simple and easy...you will SEE far MORE "pairs of grips over time, than the markings on any given frame.....and you can tell at a glance what you are looking at,without having to remove the guns grips.....................duh 8) :roll: :wink: