Ruger M77 tang safety extraction issue solved

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I have my dad's old model 77 that started life as a 25/06Rem and recently had an E.R. Shaw stainless heavy varminter helical fluted barrel chambered in 22/250Rem installed by a local GS. I don't remember ever having extraction issues with this rifle before but haven't shot it in quite a while because the bore was getting pretty dark and rough, but as soon as I start shooting test loads with the new barrel it would pull the spent case out but lose it's grip before ejection. I tried to put a little more arch on the extractor and this helped but about half or more times it wouldn't extract. Broke down and ordered a new extractor from Brownells and ouila! no more extraction problems. Now I need to focus on more test loads. BTW, the old receiver and stock are pretty rough looking so I am leaning toward a Cerakote finish on the barreled action and am on the fence as to whether to refinish the stock, which by the way, was almost too narrow in the forend to open up for this really beefy barrel. I can't seem to find a reasonably priced aftermarket barrel with a channel that will accomodate the heavy barrel. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dennis :wink:

oldgreyguy

Bearcat
Numrich still has some of the 77V factory stocks, got one the other day.... that would probably give you enough "meat" in the channel if you needed more chewing

Latest posts