77- tang safety, bolt- safety switch wire issue.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cleg

Bearcat
Have bit of a bolt /safety switch/ issue. Safety button hangs up when in the stock, bolt seems to drag across action screws even if screws no all the way in, and bolt hits top of safety button. When out of the stock I can get safety to work several times then the wire flies out of connections on both ends. Any ideas? Was thinking maybe wire is slightly bent. Not willing to gamble on that as fact yet. Plan to put it in Boyd's stock. Any ideas or suggestions be great full. Thank you

It's difficult to make a good assessment w/o actually seeing/handling the rifle.
"bolt seems to drag across action screws even if screws no all the way in," Are there 'burrs' around the holes? Otherwise nothing to cause 'drag' that I can think of.
"bolt hits top of safety button." In the typical operation of a bolt action, there's usually some upward force being applied to the bolt knob during cycling. I suppose it's possible for the bolt to contact the safety button if there's downward force being applied.
" When out of the stock I can get safety to work several times then the wire flies out of connections on both ends. Any ideas? Was thinking maybe wire is slightly bent." That's a possibility but also possible the stock bedding supports this 'wire' when assembled?
I've seen some 'well used' Mausers that had a lot of movement of the bolt when open. The Ruger action is similar design so keep that in mind. My best advise: have the safety issue checked out by a knowledgeable gunsmith. Safeties are supposed to work 100%.

cleg

Bearcat
Thank you. Looking at the safety from the side it looks bent against the side of tang. When you push button forward and back. The rid will literally jump out of the holes on both ends. Doesn't go back terribly hard, but does fight with me a little. Definitely going have to take it into Gunssmith this one got me bit baffled. I'm not sure how old this one is, I'll put up pic of the ol girl today if possible. Thank you for the reply.