Ruger M77 MKII Floorplate Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
Are the floorplates from the tang safety rifles and the MKII models the same? I am looking for a short action black floorplate in excellent condition(no paint loss)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Good question. The assemblies would be different between the two but floorplates could very well interchange. Maybe a call to somewhere like Brownells? Doubt you'd get anyone on the phone at ruger that would be much help anymore unless you got ahold of one of the production manager for the rifle lines.

wyoming7220

Bearcat
The Mark 11 is steel while the tang is aluminum. The difference is in the latch. At the end next to the trigger guard where all the latching occurs is where you will have to modify the M11. The tang floorplate has a ROUND knob that hooks into the trigger guard. The M11 is RECTANGULAR in shape. I used a Dremel grinder head and rounded the rectangle into a circle. Dobbed a bit of cold bluing on the silver. You will have to be careful to make a good fit. The rest of the M11 floor plate is exactly the same as the tang floorplate.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Original MKII floorplates were not steel. I believe aftermarket steel was available and the engraved ones through Ruger were steel. That changeover was part of the Hawkeye configuration.

wyoming7220

Bearcat
The reason I said the M11 were steel is that I ordered two from Ruger for the SHORT ACTION. I checked again with a magnet which stuck to the floorplate. They both are blued because the cold bluing turned the latch section that I hit with the Dremel tool. That is about all I can tell you re the material.

Wyoming 7220