Ruger M77 30/06 upgrades

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Picked up a 1972 Ruger M77 30/06 in great condition. Looking to go hunting with it and need some suggestions for upgrades.

Slings, scopes, triggers, rifle cuff, etc. what have you?

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 69

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I set my RS up for hunting, not so much for appearance.
I put mine in a Ruger Ultralight stock that I picked up on ebay. Had a trigger job done. Put on a mountain sling by Uncle Mike's. Im thinking of a to red pad to replace the hard red pad. It currently wears a Kahles 3x9, and the backup scope is a 2x7 Leupold. I prefer the 2x7 for hunting.
Bfly

Thanks. I'll add a scope, probably Leupold, as I have one mounted on my 700P.

Slings, looking for a leather one. Back in the day it would have been a 1905 military as it was cheap and I could carry it all day. Now, with age, looking for a cobra-style one to ease my shoulders.

Also, looking for a rifle butt cuff to carry extra rounds. Probably leather too.

And the hunt continues.

gunman42782

Hunter
Talk about opening up a can of worms! This 77 MK2 30/06 started life as a pencil barreled walnut stocked gun. I decided I wanted a heavy barrel, so had ER Shaw install a stainless heavy (not bull) barrel and lap the lugs. Then I put a Timney trigger in it and put it in a Hogue stock. Then I decided I wasn't crazy about the Houge stock and put it in a Boyds laminate stock! I got more money in this thing than I would ever get out of it, but it will drive tacks! In short, there is no end of "improvements" you can do if you have the money, but depending on what you want to actually do with the gun. (The only thing original on my gun now is the action and bolt!) I am pretty sure the gun I have when it was in original condition would kill a deer just as dead as it would now!

Attachments

• Ruger 77 30 06.jpg
    Ruger 77 30 06.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 52
Talk about opening up a can of worms! This 77 MK2 30/06 started life as a pencil barreled walnut stocked gun. I decided I wanted a heavy barrel, so had ER Shaw install a stainless heavy (not bull) barrel and lap the lugs. Then I put a Timney trigger in it and put it in a Hogue stock. Then I decided I wasn't crazy about the Houge stock and put it in a Boyds laminate stock! I got more money in this thing than I would ever get out of it, but it will drive tacks! In short, there is no end of "improvements" you can do if you have the money, but depending on what you want to actually do with the gun. (The only thing original on my gun now is the action and bolt!) I am pretty sure the gun I have when it was in original condition would kill a deer just as dead as it would now!
Was the Timney trigger easy to install? I've heard others complain about cutting wood to make it fit. I'd rather just drop it in.

Pretty much decided I'm going to strip the stock and refinish it, once I retire.

Picked up a 1972 Ruger M77 30/06 in great condition. Looking to go hunting with it and need some suggestions for upgrades.

Slings, scopes, triggers, rifle cuff, etc. what have you?
I put a Timney trigger in my M-77 Mark II, along with a Leupold 3X9. I had 2 misfires with Remington ammo so I changed out the firing pin spring a couple years ago. I've had mine since 98 or 99. Still using the original composite stock, Although I prefer wood, I'm reluctant to change the stock because It's a good shooter as it is.

I put a Timney trigger in my M-77 Mark II, along with a Leupold 3X9. I had 2 misfires with Remington ammo so I changed out the firing pin spring a couple years ago. I've had mine since 98 or 99. Still using the original composite stock, Although I prefer wood, I'm reluctant to change the stock because It's a good shooter as it is.
Did the Timney drop in or did you have to dremel the stock?

ATCDoktor

Bearcat
Only thing I did with mine (model 77 tang safety 30/06) was put a scope on it:

That lone bullet splash on the steel target represents 3 rounds of 30/06 165 grain handloads at 100 yards.

Any decent scope (if you're planning on using one) and sling is all you'll need.

If the trigger pull isn't to your liking, Timney is the way to go.

gunman42782

Hunter
It's been so long ago I put the Timney trigger in, I don't remember having to do anything with the stock, but I do remember having the file some on the safety to get it to fit.

Dang that is in nice condition!. Made before 1973 so a Douglas barrel. Is that an St round top scope mounts and sights?. I have the 1971 30-06 with hollow bolt and sights but not an ST has regular RS integrated Ruger scope rings. I just received a rifle basics trigger sear 50.00 for tang safety 77's to try in one rifle may put one in all of them after if all goes well.

Last edited:
Dang that is in nice condition!. Made before 1974 so a Douglas barrel. Is that an St round top scope mounts and sights?. I have the 1971 30-06 with hollow bolt and sights but not an ST has regular RS integrated Ruger scope rings. I just received a rifle basics trigger sear 50.00 for tang safety 77's to try in one rifle may put one in all of them after if all goes well.
Thanks for the information. Yes, it has a round top. Rings were not included with it. Retiring in 67 days, moving back to PA, and will pick up a scope back there. Placed a cobra leather sling on it and a buttstock rifle cuff as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 33
If you like the stock finish, I wouldn't recommend a leather 'butt cuff'. Get it a little damp and it'll suck the finish off. Allow a bit of dirt/grit to get under the 'cuff' and it'll grind the finish.
I use elastic cartridge stock sleeves and this happens most of the time which is why I only use them on synthetic stocks.

If you like the stock finish, I wouldn't recommend a leather 'butt cuff'. Get it a little damp and it'll suck the finish off. Allow a bit of dirt/grit to get under the 'cuff' and it'll grind the finish.
I use elastic cartridge stock sleeves and this happens most of the time which is why I only use them on synthetic stocks.
Thanks. I had nylon elastic before and they always moved. I plan on refinishing the entire stock at some later time, so dirt, grit isn't an issue. Appreciate the advice. 👍🏻

And looking for a rifle case. I'd rather have a soft case for easier transportation (I have plenty of hard cases), and it should have great padding inside, as well as fit for a scope.

I've looked at leather, canvas, waxed, nylon, etc. Still in the hunt for one.

Thanks for the information. Yes, it has a round top. Rings were not included with it. Retiring in 67 days, moving back to PA, and will pick up a scope back there. Placed a cobra leather sling on it and a buttstock rifle cuff as well.
No problem, You know you have a nice early 1972 Ruger M77 with ST round top and sights and it is not the most common find either. I was very happy to find my 71 hollow bolt with sights in like new condition locally. The ST or Round Top action uses the same bases and has the same contour as the LA Remington 700. Any base from any manufacturer that fits the LA Remington 700 will fit the ST Ruger.

Last edited:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
The aluminum floor plate can be switched out with a steel one. Ruger used steel on some of the magnums so you could switch it if you can get one. The steel one fits long actions only like your -06. There was an aftermarket one too don't recall who made it.

wwb

Hunter
I have a "Liberty" M77 in .30-06. Added a Leupold 2-7X32 scope and a carry strap with QD swivels. Strap stays in the pack until I'm dragging a deer out of the woods - then it goes on the rifle. Tried a Zeiss 3-9X40 scope..... had to put on taller rings for the scope to clear the barrel. The cheek weld went away, and so did the 3-9 scope - went back to the 2-7, which spends most of it's time turned down to 2X.

Last edited:

Latest posts