First big game animal was with a ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dodgefreak8

Bearcat
This was my first ever big game hunt in 2002. Was lucky enough to take this bull in northwest Colorado with a ruger m77/50. Sold the rifle and have regretted it ever since.
Screenshot_20231102_091215_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Tyrone I lament your stolen 30-30. I had a bunch of guns and tools grow feet when a drug addicted family member thought his habit was more important than my property. My 1st big game was a 4 point buck with a 12 gauge H&R single barrel shotgun. That was one of the guns stolen...

First 'big game' was a button buck @ 50 yards with a Remington 760 in 30/06. That old rifle kicked the snot out of a 125# teenager. Back then, there wasn't any pre-hunt zeroing or such. Grab whatever 'shells' the local hardware had on the shelf and go hunting. Open sights, heavy recoil, questionable zero--it's a wonder that anyone filled a tag.

Paul B

Hunter
The year was 1949. I was all of eleven years old and hunting with my Great-grandfather's 1911 issue model 94 Winchester carbine in good old 30-30. I still have that rifle. I actually shot a nice four point California Blacktail buck at roughly 15 paces. I was on a stands and he just walked right on by past me so I shot him.
Paul B.

my first was a whitetail doe back in 1971, shotgun only area using a Stevens 20 gauge single shot with foster type slugs , one round and she went maybe 40/50 yards down the ridge and piled up , left a blood trail a blind man could have followed in the dry leaves

akbluz

Blackhawk
The first big game that I ever shot was a 45inch 4-brow tine bull moose in 2008 on a solo hunt off the Denali Highway here in Alaska. Sadly my rifle wasn't a Ruger - it was a Winchester model 70 in .375H&H magnum. The Winchester is a pretty nice rifle but it's not a Ruger. I've been looking for a Ruger model 77 in 375H&H at every gun show I attended but so far it has remained elusive. You'd think I would have seen one by now.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Killed my first deer with a Browning A-5 12 gauge and one-ought buckshot, 50 years ago this Thanksgiving. Many since then with rifle, sixgun, muzzle loaders (real ones, caplocks loaded with the Holy black, no inlines), recurve and longbows. Can't bowhunt this year due to surgery, my goal is to take one with my Old Army and maybe head shoot one with my .218 Bee. After that, the Winchester 71 .348 might come out to play. Or the .40-65 Sharps. I like a challenge (but yeah, I got a safe full of modern rifles too.)