Ruger M-77 "International" questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robinpeck

Bearcat
I just joined this forum. I collect, shoot and hunt with "Mannlicher-style" full-stock rifles. I have numerous Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Steyr-Mannlicher, Brno, Sako, Husqvarna, Oberndorf Mauser, etc. full-stock carbines,...and as of a couple of days ago, one minty .308 Ruger M-77 RSI with adjustable trigger, tang safety, red recoil pad, etc. made in 1984. It is my only Ruger.

DSC015062.JPG

DSC015015.JPG

DSC015185.JPG

I have a few questions that I was hoping Ruger enthusiasts/collectors might be able to help me with:

-Does Ruger still make a version of this rifle?

- My rifle has quite a bit of "fiddle-back" type figure particularly in the butt. Hard to photograph because it changes constantly when seen from different angles or in different light. The later versions of the M-77 that I have seen have plainer wood and it also seems not to be fitted as well, with some of the stock wood standing "proud" above the metal. I have never seen a later version RSI. I read people claiming that the stock proportions are different, blockier, on later versions of the RSI. Is this true?

- What is the function of the small screw in the sight blade channel? It doesn't seem to hold the ramp on.

- I have read about some sort of warranty or recall associated with the tang safety. What was supposed to the problem? The one on mine seems to work fine (the rifle has seen very little use).

- I have yet to fire this rifle. Bore is "as new". What sort of accuracy might I expect with factory ammo? (I do not plan to scope it. I'll put a NECG receiver peep sight on it. I've used them before and like them. Better aiming than with open sights but the rifle stays light and easy to carry with one hand around the receiver.) The only other Ruger I owned was a standard M-77 30-06 in the early 80's. It was very accurate, shooting full power hunting loads into 1 inch at 200 yards, but it handled like a 2x4, so I sold it.

-If I change my mind and decide to put a low power scope on it, who makes the best lightest rings (the Ruger rings are way too heavy for me).

-Once upon a time I recall that there were steel replacement parts for the bottom metal on some Ruger M-77s. Is anything like this still available?

- Thats it for now. Thanks.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
With regard to your 77RSI, you are correct from my point of view, in that most of the stocks are plain jane, straight grained walnut ! I would almost sell my first born for wood on my 77RSI stocks like yours. The earliest Number one rifles had nicely figured wood; not so much now!

Over all, the 77RSI are sweet looking rifles as the No 1 is. Accuracy tends to be, average. They were for hunting not MOA rifles.

I like them.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
My early 80's M77 RSI 308 shoots average with factory ammo, but very good with proper hand loads. The finish on your 77 RSI seems to be more glossy than that of the traditional satin finish. Mine, too, is rather glossy and I have been accused of refinishing it even though it hasn't been refinished. This gun is still my favorite even though I own two score of others. I have also harvested dozens of deer with this gun. That small screw may be a tensioner for the sight blade. Front or rear sight?

robinpeck

Bearcat
Front sight...

...tensioner?...so you just screw it out a bit to provide presure on bottom of sight blade?...I guess it will be obvious when the blade arrives.

rufrdr

Bearcat
Regarding the recall: all tang safety M77s need the trigger overtravel screw replaced with the new version if it hasn't yet been done. If it was done at the factory there is a T marked on the underside of the bolt. If you go to the Ruger website there is a notice about this and a form to fill out and send in to get the replacement screw. I just did my RSI over the weekend. The replacement screw is half the length of the original one and is very easy to replace for the original screw.

Nice RSI, mine looks to have some hard hunting miles on it (3rd owner).

pete44ru

Hunter
robinpeck said:
I have a few questions that I was hoping Ruger enthusiasts/collectors might be able to help me with:

-Does Ruger still make a version of this rifle ? - AFAIK, Yes.

I read people claiming that the stock proportions are different, blockier, on later versions of the RSI. Is this true ? - Yes.

- What is the function of the small screw in the sight blade channel? It doesn't seem to hold the ramp on. -
The screw adjacent to the front sight blade secures the sight in the ramp - some versions had a spring-loaded button.

- I have read about some sort of warranty or recall associated with the tang safety. What was supposed to the problem? The one on mine seems to work fine (the rifle has seen very little use). -
As posted above - there was not a rifle recall, but owners were advised to switch out the trigger adjuntment screw - which Ruger would mail to owners after they provided the rifle's SN.

- I have yet to fire this rifle. Bore is "as new". What sort of accuracy might I expect with factory ammo ? (I do not plan to scope it. I'll put a NECG receiver peep sight on it. -
No tang-safety .308 RSI, I've ever shot (six or so) would shoot closer than 3" @ 100yds with commercial ammo.
OTOH, a .30-06 & a 7x57 (both RSI's) shot under 1" @ 100yds with commercial ammo.

-If I change my mind and decide to put a low power scope on it, who makes the best lightest rings (the Ruger rings are way too heavy for me).
AFAIK, no maker that produces rings to fit the Ruger receiver dovetails are lighter than Ruger's.

-Once upon a time I recall that there were steel replacement parts for the bottom metal on some Ruger M-77s. Is anything like this still available ? -
AFAIK, Ruger discontinued the parts - but I would suggest calling Ruger Customer Service.

YMMV.

robinpeck

Bearcat
"- What is the function of the small screw in the sight blade channel? It doesn't seem to hold the ramp on. -
The screw adjacent to the front sight blade secures the sight in the ramp - some versions had a spring-loaded button."

How does it "secure (s) the sight in the ramp"? There is also a spring loaded plunger at rear of ramp slot that fits into a hole in the front sight blade, but the screw does not...it can only exert some pressure from beneath?